Is this the cheapest large screen 1080p TV?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alloroc
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

Is this the cheapest large screen 1080p TV?

For those of us fortunate (or unfortunate!) to have an Aldi nearby (perhaps only in the UK and Ireland, but who knows), stay awake for next Thursday the 19th.

For a few weeks now roumours began to circulate that they were about to launch a 47" LCD TV for €1795 (about $2k). Nothing dramatically special there except for the fact that it's a 1080p LCD TV. That's a pretty darned good price.

Here's the spec. in full. I'd be really interested in comments etc. In addition, can anyone advise on what "LG Philips Grade A+ LCD panel" specifically means (a loaded question for a smart answer, but you know what I mean!)

For those that don't yet know the pleasure of Aldi - it's a cheap as chips 'own brand' supermarket hailing from Germany. They have all kinds of weekly offers and while I'm no fan of their food produce, they do great value in all kinds of wierd things. Fire extingushers and carbon monoxide alarms being my last two purchaces!

Fully HD ready with HDCP decoding and 2 HDMI inputs (480i/p, 576i/p, 720i/p, 1080i/p) • 1920 x 1080 resolution for ultimate
    HD compatibility

LG Philips Grade A+ LCD panel

2 x HDMI sockets

In plane switching

Progressive Scan

Integrated digital tuner for receiving all free-to-air digital channels as they become available in the future

Teletext

Viewing angle 178°/178°

1600:1 Contrast Ratio

550cd/m2 Brightness

Aspect Ratio: 16:9

Displayable colours: 16.7 million colours

Response time: 8ms

Input type: Analogue Tuner and Digital Tuner (DVB-T), AV input (CVBS), S-Video input, PC input (D-Sub 15Pin), 2 x Scart inputs (full/half), 2 x HDMI inputs

99 programmes

Auto tuning system

Sleep timer

Audio Mute

AVC (Automatic Volume Correction)

Nicam stereo, 15W rms per channel digital audio amplifers

Picture-in-picture via external source

Carton Dimensions: 1325mm (W) x 1030mm
    (H) x 485mm (D)

TV dimensions: 1040mm (W) x 741mm
    (H) x 258mm (D)

Weight: TV 53kg/in box 58kg

Free tilting wall bracket worth up to €149.79

Free 3 year guarantee and helpline
    Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.
  • eddiespaghetti
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Alloroc
    Here's the spec. in full. I'd be really interested in comments etc. In addition, can anyone advise on what "LG Philips Grade A+ LCD panel" specifically means (a loaded question for a smart answer, but you know what I mean!)
    I might be mistaken, but I believe I read on this site that the Olevia makes the same claim. Typically, those sets are in the sub $1,000 range, but they are not 1080P

Comment

• Stoopalini
      • Aug 2000

Wow! LCDs must be a lot more expensive in Ireland than in the US. I found a 46" Sharp Aquos (46D62U) for under $2000 after shipping!

BTW: I'll be in Cherrywood and Limerick next month on business. Any tips on what I should see/do while there?

Thomas.

Comment

• Alloroc
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Stoopalini
        Wow! LCDs must be a lot more expensive in Ireland than in the US. I found a 46" Sharp Aquos (46D62U) for under $2000 after shipping!

BTW: I'll be in Cherrywood and Limerick next month on business. Any tips on what I should see/do while there?

Thomas.
        Jeez, they are. Everything is. Wait till you get here - you won't believe it.

Guess you work for Dell?!

Limerick - wear a stab vest - Limerick is known as 'stab city'

In all seriousness, you are 30 minutes by car from The Cliffs of Moher, the Burren, Lahinch, Dunbeg and if you play golf Lahinch and Dunbeg will be high on your radar, along with Adare Manor and Ballybunnion (Tiger's fav. course and a frequent visitor. (Limerick ican be a rather rough place though, so be careful)

Cherrywood is 15km outside Dublin - Bray is the closest town. Well serviced by trains and roads and makes for easy access to all east coast ameneties.
        In Wicklow there is Powerscourt, Glendalough and the Vale of Avoca and all are worth seeing. Amazing golf this side to if that's your bag.

V.
        Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

I really enjoyed the Cliffs of Moher. As for Cherrywood, yeah, I would get into Dublin myself, and go back to my favorite spots there.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Stoopalini
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Alloroc
            Guess you work for Dell?!
            Ya, I work for Dell ops:

Thanks for the suggestions. Don't think I'll have the time to head out to a golf course, maybe just some afternoon sight seeing. Too bad my suitcase wasn't any larger, I'd bring you over a nice LCD LOL!

Thomas.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"