X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I am now a member of the FPTV club!

On Feb 19th, I took advantage of a package deal from Costco. They had an Optoma HD70 DLP 1280 X 720 projector and 92" screen bundle.

It arrived six days later. Since it's arrival, I've been tweaking and learning (as this is my first front proj). Now that I have it dailed in, I am extremely satisfied with my purchase. I never expected that I would enjoy an entry level projector as much as I do this one.

Going from a 56" HDTV (rear projection) I was concerned that the black level of DLP on the FPTV would be an issue. While it is not as inky black as my RPTV, it is very good. The other issue that worried about was going from 1080i to 720p. Well, this too has become a non issue. The picture of this projector/screen combo is fantastic. Discovery HD has become my favorite hangout!

P.S. Thanks George and Dean. Your post about this and the Mits HD-1000 started me looking in this direction. ;x(
    Last edited by John Holmes; 13 March 2007, 15:43 Tuesday.
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Congrats John! :T Hope I can join you sooner rather than later
    Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

I knew you'd join the club eventually, John. The reasonable pricing for front projectors ( not to mention the quality) simply amazes me. Keep us informed on how things go.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Way to go, man. I too knew you'd be here sometime. As far as a bundle goes, especially from Costco, that's a pretty good one. If anything, I'm surprised you didn't go a bit bigger with the screen. As far as 1080i vs. 720p, I think you can see why many of us actually prefer 720p! Of course, hopefully that will be a moot issue in the not-so-distant future, and we'll all go to 1080p.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Thank you gents for the warm welcome! 8)

I wanted to to do this two yrs ago. But with my wife's job moving us so often in the last few yrs, I thought waiting for our home purchase was the best choice. However, with current pricing, it just didn't make sense for us to buy another television for our movie watching.

Way to go, man. I too knew you'd be here sometime. As far as a bundle goes, especially from Costco, that's a pretty good one. If anything, I'm surprised you didn't go a bit bigger with the screen. As far as 1080i vs. 720p, I think you can see why many of us actually prefer 720p! Of course, hopefully that will be a moot issue in the not-so-distant future, and we'll all go to 1080p.
          Chris,

I actually thought about going 120" but as stated above, we are still apt dwellers so, I thought this would work until we buy a house. Buy then that 1080p maybe the right price too! :B

And yes, I have no regrets going 720p. Because I live in an apartment, I decided to table mount the projector. As such we sit further back than I would like (15ft from the screen). But I must admitted, it is still very immersive and stunnig to watch. It has even helped my Madden 07 play on the 360!!! :lol: The 92" screen is more than enough for now.

Congrats John! Hope I can join you sooner rather than later
          Thank you sir! I'm sure you will join when the time is right for you.

I knew you'd join the club eventually, John. The reasonable pricing for front projectors ( not to mention the quality) simply amazes me. Keep us informed on how things go.
          Better late than never eh? The quality is the bottom line. I could have purchased a business projector at this price point long ago. But new I would not be satisfied with the pic quality. What you can get today for around a grand is nothing short of amazing. I watched "Underworld" Superbit version the other night. It was so close to a Hi-Def picture it was scary.

Right now I am just using component input. Soon I hope to get an HD player and run HDMI. Funny thing, every display that I've owned in the past, has had an issue to some degree with red push. This projector has allowed me to see flesh tones and hues as they should be. That alone was with the price of admission.
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Brandon B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2001

Originally posted by John Holmes
            I wanted to to do this two yrs ago. But with my wife's job moving us so often in the last few yrs, I thought waiting for our home purchase was the best choice.
            Gah! Two years of big screen enjoyment lost to faulty logic.

Tell me, which would have been easier to move: Your 56" RPTV, or your PJ and screen? Hmmmmmmm?

Congrats. Now stay away from all online discussions of video projectors until you have developed an upgrade itch all on your own. No really, I mean it.

BB

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Congratulations John! And I heartily suggest you follow Brandon's advice- it's time now to enjoy some good source material! Someday you may find yourself itching for 1080P, but no reason not to have a pleasant stay at 720P for a while!

~Jon
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Brandon B
                Gah! Two years of big screen enjoyment lost to faulty logic.

Tell me, which would have been easier to move: Your 56" RPTV, or your PJ and screen? Hmmmmmmm?

Congrats. Now stay away from all online discussions of video projectors until you have developed an upgrade itch all on your own. No really, I mean it.

BB
                Thanks Brandon & Jon,

Brandon, Thanks for making me feel a whole later smarter in my logic! :rofl:

Congratulations John! And I heartily suggest you follow Brandon's advice- it's time now to enjoy some good source material! Someday you may find yourself itching for 1080P, but no reason not to have a pleasant stay at 720P for a while!
                You both make a very good point. I am really enjoying this setup. I know that there is better on several levels out there. But, I don't see a desire to upgrade this unit coming for quite sometime. I don't know if I can stop reading about the latest & greatest but, it will not bother me the least. Now that I have a large (and imo) great picture, I'm in hog heaven!!!

Thanks to all you guys that give your knowledge to help others make good choices in our hobby. :thanku:

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                  • May 2004

John, I got the same projector about 2 months ago and really love it also. My first projector was a H31, then bought Dean's used Infocus SP5000 and now the HD70. I'm currently renovating the dedicated room, will post a picture of it once it's complete later this week. I'm finally at that point where I'm really close to the point of diminishing returns, and just really collecting the software at this point. I've been picking up BluRay and HD DVDs to watch all my favorite movies in HD and it's where the HD70 really shine. Congrats.

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

BlazeMaster,

I'm glad you are enjoying yours as well! I am very surprised at how satisfying the picture is from this unit. And yes, I know what it does with a good HD source from cable. I'm just licking my chops thinking about my HD DVD player purchase.

Let us know how the room turns out. I cannot post pics. No scanner or digital camera.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"