X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jecrab
    • Dec 2010

M1 front speaker placement help!!!!

I am purchasing 5 M1 speakers and I am really excited. I have done my research with speakers and I truly feel these are great speakers for the size and sound. I want to ensure that my placement of these speakers does not diminish their sound quality, therefore I need you guys to help me out with your advice and experience. I compared a lot of speakers and I am paying more for these obviously than other ones and want to make sure they are in the right spot. Our great room is 16x20. Primary seating area is 12 feet from LCD. Here are my two options:

1) Place them in the media cabinet below the LCD. They would be at listening height but only about 3 feet apart with an additional M1 pivoted sideways as the center channel in between them.

2) Mounting them using the wall brackets 6 feet to either side of the LCD. Each speaker would be approx 12 feet away as well from primary listening area. My concern due to the weight of these speakers would be if they have to go into a stud or could you use drywall anchors to support them.

I need your help because different people are telling me different things. A AV tech told me unless I critically listen to music, they will be fine in the media cabinet with minimal spacing. Someone from M1 told me that ideally spacing them out 12 feet apart would sound great as well. I just want to appreciate what these speakers can do. Does it matter, thanks Jason
  • dukester
    • Sep 2010

I use them as surrounds and i agree, they are pretty awesome speakers for their size. On their placement, not sure i agree with placing them in the cabinet as this will likely limit your imaging and soundstage.

Ear height or slightly above is a good place to start for the mains, then appx 2-3 ft above that for your surrounds. As far as the distace between your mains, I would recommend experimenting, starting with the equidistant triangle method (listener may be slightly further from the speakers than they are from each other). So if you are 12ft away, start with the speakers being 10-11ft apart, using music you are familiar with, incrementally move them further out to determine sweetspot. I would also recommend slight toe-in, firing the left speaker just outside left ear, and the same for the right (thus forming your triangle).

I follow the rule of thirds with the surrounds; placing them each a third of the way towards the center from the side walls.

I am always impressed by the M1 each time I hear them, even during multi channel listening (SACD). Congrats and enjoy.
    McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

I had a 5-set of M1's for a little bit. I never had them INSIDE a cabinet, but I can't say I ever really heard them differently with different positioning. Yes, restricting a speakers "breathing" room does make a difference, but can't say if the same apply to the M1's since I never tried. I know they did open up a lot with proper amplification. (i.e., I thought they sounded much better when connected to a dedicated amp vs an AV receiver).

By the way, did you buy a sub as well? These definitely need a sub. There is no bass at all from these speakers.

Just curious, are you purchasing these particular speakers because you want something small?
      B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• jecrab
        • Dec 2010

M-1's placement

Yes, purchasing the asw610 to go with them. I guess I did not want the box shaped speakers hanging on the wall and liked the size much better.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"