X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pommels
    • Sep 2006

Very new to all of this

I am looking at the Optoma HD72 currently on sale at 1699 with a free 92" screen (Optoma DS909) for my basement. It is a large room, 25 by 25 or so, 7' 9" ceiling, and a perfect spot for setting up the ceiling mount with the lens almost exactly 9 feet from a wall for the screen. I have Comcast digital cable with a digital cable box in this room, and will use it for sports, TV viewing and movies, no games.

I am very new to this so I have a few questions:

will I need an additional HD tuner?

is the ceiling high enough for this?

is it OK to use a screen that I know will not be completely filled by the thrown image?

where do you locate a professional to do a reasonable cost install?

am I looking at the right projector for this room size and a budget around 2k?

Thanks in advance for any input, it is all appreciated,

Dave J.
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by pommels
    I am looking at the Optoma HD72 currently on sale at 1699 with a free 92" screen (Optoma DS909) for my basement. It is a large room, 25 by 25 or so, 7' 9" ceiling, and a perfect spot for setting up the ceiling mount with the lens almost exactly 9 feet from a wall for the screen. I have Comcast digital cable with a digital cable box in this room, and will use it for sports, TV viewing and movies, no games.

I am very new to this so I have a few questions:

will I need an additional HD tuner?

is the ceiling high enough for this?

is it OK to use a screen that I know will not be completely filled by the thrown image?

am I looking at the right projector for this room size and a budget around 2k?

Thanks in advance for any input, it is all appreciated,

Dave J.
    Hello Dave and welcome to HT Guide :welcome:

1) Will I need an additional HD tuner?
    If you already have an HD tuner from Comcast, you will not need an additional tuner, you would just run the cable to the projector (or receiver if applicable).

2) Is the ceiling high enough for this?
    You should be fine, depending on how you are going to mount the projector (table or ceiling). If you are comtemplating a ceiling mount you would need a flush projector mount.

3) Is it OK to use a screen that I know will not be completely filled by the thrown image?
    You can find the answer to your question here:
    Optoma HD72 projection calculator

4) Where do you locate a professional to do a reasonable cost install?
    That would depend on your location.

5) Am I looking at the right projector for this room size and a budget around 2k?
    That really depends on your lighting control, susceptibility to Rainbow effects (due to DLP), etc. Projectorcentral, as well as, user reviews have rated it very highly.

HD72 review

Optoma HD72 User opinions

All in all I believe that the Optoma HD72 is an excellent purchase. The screen provided with the unit maybe a different matter however, but it's FREE.

Welcome to the world of FP, where screen diagonals can be measured in feet instead of inches.

I will move this thread over to the Front Projection forum to provide better feedback.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by pommels
      The place to start is likely here:

CEDIA is the leading global organisation for the smart home technology industry, serving more than 3,500 members from 77 countries.

Use the site to find a local, certified installer in your area

Welcome to HTG :T
      Jason

Comment

• draganm
        • Jul 2005

you should add your city and state to your profile and see if someone local will offer a little guidance. The problem with relying on salesman at local stores is that they will always push wahtever thay happen to stock , which might or might not be your best bang for the buck, usually not. I have helped half a dozen guys locally and it's a big advantage to see a private HT because 90% of the time the equipment is set-up close to optimal and you can avoid common mistakes like bad seating distances, incorrect riser heights for the back row, incorrect room orientation, etc.
        BTW, The Optoma might have gotten good reviews but when was the last time you saw a bad review on anything? That company is in trouble and they're quality track-record is pretty bad.

Comment

• pommels
          • Sep 2006

I appreciate all the help, I am in Broomfield, close to Boulder Colorado. I have not purchased anything yet, and I have not seen an HD 72 live yet. Not really sure where to find 1 set up,

Dave J.

Comment

• draganm
            • Jul 2005

perfect, your only 20 minutes away from me in Brighton. Your more than welcomed to stop by, Friday night is usually beer/pizza/movie night at my place. I built my theatre myself, except for dry-wall and carpet, so it'll give you a good idea of what's possible (without pulling a second mortgage out on your house).
            I'll send you my contact info, check your PM box.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"