X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rich0372
    • Jul 2004

new LCD TV

I am interested in getting a new TV for my bedroom. I have an old sony crt trinitron 32" and want to replace it with an LCD. What do you guys recomend? I'm looking for a 32" LCD. I have a budget of $1200.
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

THat price is going to keep you out of the very best units, probably the Sharp Aquos line or the Sony Bravias. You might manage a Samsung, which are decent as well.

A small comparison here of some models:

Get full-length product reviews, the latest news, tech coverage, daily deals, and category deep dives from CNET experts worldwide.

And it's pretty widely known (in circles that talk about this stuff anyway) that the industry has overbuilt production capacity and prices WILL continue to drop somewhat for the rest of the year. So procrastination is your friend. I would look for any of these models to drop a few hundred $ by November or sooner.

BB

Comment

• Vinny
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Brandon B
      THat price is going to keep you out of the very best units, probably the Sharp Aquos line or the Sony Bravias. You might manage a Samsung, which are decent as well.

A small comparison here of some models:

Get full-length product reviews, the latest news, tech coverage, daily deals, and category deep dives from CNET experts worldwide.

And it's pretty widely known (in circles that talk about this stuff anyway) that the industry has overbuilt production capacity and prices WILL continue to drop somewhat for the rest of the year. So procrastination is your friend. I would look for any of these models to drop a few hundred $ by November or sooner.

BB
      I second the Sharp Aquos. My parents have the older generation one and the PQ was stunning.
      If you want to wait until November you would go for 1080p and that I believe it will bring you back around the same price. Well that's technology :B
      Pioneer KRP-500M
      Emotiva UMC-1
      Parasound 5125
      Oppo BDP-83
      Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
      SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

At $1200 your either have to go way down in size, quality or both. The Sony and Sharp LCD's are the top choices for LCD's but given your budget you may be better off looking at other technologies. You could probably get a 34", widescreen, HD direct view CRT for that price (from Sony or if you can find one, Panasonic) that will have far better PQ than any LCD display anyways
        Jason

Comment

• rich0372
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by aud19
          At $1200 your either have to go way down in size, quality or both. The Sony and Sharp LCD's are the top choices for LCD's but given your budget you may be better off looking at other technologies. You could probably get a 34", widescreen, HD direct view CRT for that price (from Sony or if you can find one, Panasonic) that will have far better PQ than any LCD display anyways
          I would stick with a crt, but space is an issueI saw this at Costco for $1450 orthis at Costco.com for $1499. The sceptre has 1080p and 1920x1080 resolution. I've never heard of this brand is it any good? As you see I've uped my price to $1500

Comment

• Brandon B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2001

I would definitely go for the Sony. Since you're buying at Costco, you've got their super guarantee if you end up dissatisfied with it. Costco's bargain panels are usually reasonable value, but they are rarely great performers.

In this case, the Sceptre is full HD, but I am willing to bet its internal electronics and overall image quality would fall way short of the Sony. And 1080 resolution vs. 768 on a 32" display is not a dealbreaker in my mind.

Go to a Costco if there is one near you and look closely at the Vizio or whatever bargain LCDs they ahve any you may see what I mean.

BB

Comment

• rich0372
              • Jul 2004

I would definitely go for the Sony. Since you're buying at Costco, you've got their super guarantee if you end up dissatisfied with it. Costco's bargain panels are usually reasonable value, but they are rarely great performers.

In this case, the Sceptre is full HD, but I am willing to bet its internal electronics and overall image quality would fall way short of the Sony. And 1080 resolution vs. 768 on a 32" display is not a dealbreaker in my mind.

Go to a Costco if there is one near you and look closely at the Vizio or whatever bargain LCDs they ahve any you may see what I mean.

BB
              I work at costco so I know about the return policy. the sceptre got a pretty good review here It is also at costco.com and carries the same return policy. I have to say the sony had the best picture in the store, but they all might not be adjusted properly. The vizio was only $850 and it also got a good review here What do you think?

Comment

• Brandon B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2001

You know the expression about the luster of a quality purchase lasts far longer than the brief satisfaction of a good deal, or something like that. Having seen the Vizio in person, I would use the previous expression to describe my feeling between the Vizio and the Sony.

I have not seen the Sceptres, but I would give some credence to a positive review from Secrets. That plus the fact it is pretty future proof with a 1080p capable HDMI input, I'd say it comes down to $$. Since brand reliability is mostly moot with Costco as the source, I'd go for the Sceptre. If you decide the image is lacking later, exchange it.

BB

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

A deal is a deal but you also get what you pay for Really, it's up to whether price or performance are your top priorities. The Sony will likely be a a more capable and reliable performer but it's your wallet
                  Jason

Comment

• Vinny
                    • Mar 2006

A deal is a deal but you also get what you pay for Really, it's up to whether price or performance are your top priorities. The Sony will likely be a a more capable and reliable performer but it's your wallet
                    I thought Sony's LCDs panel are now using Samsung's? Sony quited the LCD market because it struggled with flat screen crt while all others were already way ahead in LCD iirc.
                    Pioneer KRP-500M
                    Emotiva UMC-1
                    Parasound 5125
                    Oppo BDP-83
                    SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• Brandon B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jun 2001

True, but there is more to a display than just the panels.

Comment

• rich0372
                        • Jul 2004

What do you guys think of the Sony Bravia s series model number kdl32s2000. I know it retails out of my price range, but can get an awesome deal on one, $850 for a brand new with warranty. It's though my Amex card they have hot deals. has anyone else bought any thing though Amex. Thanks, Rich

Here's the Link

Comment

• rick c
                          • Aug 2004

how are you getting it thru amex? I have the 40s2000 and love it.Want one for the bedroom.

Comment

• rich0372
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by rick c
                            how are you getting it thru amex? I have the 40s2000 and love it.Want one for the bedroom.
                            I got email from Amex for these hot deals. I guess you have to have an Amex card. Not really sure how it works cause I've never purchased anything from them. You can see it here You have to click Wednesday to see it.

Comment

• aud19
                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2003

The Sony and Sharp LCD's are the top choices for LCD's
                              As for the Amex thing, I can't say myself but if there's no major fine print and you get the display as promised for that price....sounds like a good deal to me...
                              Jason

Comment

• rich0372
                                • Jul 2004

As for the Amex thing, I can't say myself but if there's no major fine print and you get the display as promised for that price....sounds like a good deal to me...
                                Yeah the fine point is it's a crap shoot, you have to be lucky to get one so far I havn't been. I've been doing a lot of research on different lcd's If I don't get the sony though amex I've narrowed it down to Sharp, Sony or Pany and maybe Samsung. I would like to stay at my price point of $1500, but would be willing to stretch that a little to get better PQ. What do you guy think?

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

I think if it was my money I'd buy a CRT :lol: Otherwise you've narrowed it down to the better LCD's on your short list
                                  Jason

Comment

• rich0372
                                    • Jul 2004

I think if it was my money I'd buy a CRT :lol: Otherwise you've narrowed it down to the better LCD's on your short list
                                    I would it's just there so figgin big and I wanted to save space.

Comment

• aud19
                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2003

Not much choice then
                                      Jason

Comment

• rich0372
                                        • Jul 2004

OK I narrowed it down to two....the sony 32" kdl32s2000 and the Sharp - AQUOS 32" LC-32D40U. Best Buy has them both for $1500. I noticed the Sharp has a faster 6 ms response time Vs 8 ms for the Sony, but the Sony has a slighty better contrast ratio 1300.1 vs 1200.1. What do you guys think? Which one is better in you opinion? I saw the Sony in person and I saw the sharp 26' ( the store didn't have the 32" in stock) they both looked really good. I appreciate any insight you might have.
                                        sony
                                        Sharp

Comment

• aud19
                                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2003

They're both good, check out the GUI's and remotes etc and see which you prefer to use/like the looks of etc or see if they'll give you a better deal on one :B

Edit:
                                          Does the Sony or Sharp have discrete input buttons on the remote. Most Sony sets don't (drives me nuts! :evil: )
                                          Jason

Comment

• Vinny
                                            • Mar 2006

True, but there is more to a display than just the panels.
                                            Just made me feel like the money does not spend right into the brand as they are already buy from others :B
                                            Originally posted by rich0372
                                            OK I narrowed it down to two....the sony 32" kdl32s2000 and the Sharp - AQUOS 32" LC-32D40U. Best Buy has them both for $1500. I noticed the Sharp has a faster 6 ms response time Vs 8 ms for the Sony, but the Sony has a slighty better contrast ratio 1300.1 vs 1200.1. What do you guys think? Which one is better in you opinion? I saw the Sony in person and I saw the sharp 26' ( the store didn't have the 32" in stock) they both looked really good. I appreciate any insight you might have.
                                            sony
                                            Sharp
                                            Every manufactor has different way to rate contrast ratio so you can't really compare them through different manufactor. The best is that you go and look around after you play around with its setting(lots of TVs in shops do not calibrate right)
                                            But Sharp has 2 HDMI and component inputs vs 1HDMI 2components in Sony. I'd get the one with 2 HDMI as preparing for new format or a computer input :B
                                            Pioneer KRP-500M
                                            Emotiva UMC-1
                                            Parasound 5125
                                            Oppo BDP-83
                                            SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• Brandon B
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Jun 2001

My point about the panels is that things like uniformity of brightness, contrast, and many other things are mostly affected by the backlight assembly and the electronics. Two displays having the same panel can have really different performance.

You are correct though, in that theory the mfr of the panel should be able to provide equal performance at a lower price point, since they can remove the markup on the raw panel they charge to others from the equation. Reality says though, that will go into higher profit for them before you'll see cheaper performance. However, since the whole industry is heavily cutthroat right now, maybe not.

BB

Comment

• aud19
                                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2003

My point about the panels is that things like uniformity of brightness, contrast, and many other things are mostly affected by the backlight assembly and the electronics.
                                                Particularly scalers/deinterlacers
                                                Jason

Comment

• jim777
                                                  • Mar 2005

I just got a Sharp Aquos LC32D43U 32" 768p LCD (dealed it at 1200$CAN+tax) and pretty happy I did. Great unit with very good internal processing (scaling and deinterlacing).

Comment

• aud19
                                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2003

Congrats Jim, nice set :T
                                                    Jason

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"