X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • therock
    • Mar 2006

Worn Out Trying To Choose A New TV

Hell I'm almost ready to call it quits. I would however like to put my choice for evaluation on my application before you for scrutiny.

Looks like a RP DLP LCD in 50" to 52" is for my needs. If somthing comes out beating the DLP then? I have windows and end table lamps that will face the TV so the shiny screened Plasma's and others look not to be my choice.
    Trouble is which one? And should I wait until summer for the new technology? What do you guys know and hear about my situation.
    I'm not in a big hurry.
    I still have to redo the house. I won the dwelling in the divorce :T and gotta re-carpet and paint for the new friends I'll be intertaining :B .
    Thanks, therock

My Dahlquist Audio Set Up

My Other Hobby
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

IMO Sony's SXRD is currently the king of the RPTV's. However Samsung's LED lit DLP's are supposed to give them a serious run for their money. They're due in the next couple months so you may want to wait, also Sony's next gen SXRD's are due out soon. Otherwise you're waiting 2-3 years for SED
    Jason

Comment

• peterS
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

wait for 1080p
      make sure it has hdmi 1.3
      get a reciever that has ALL of the new audio formats (none are on the market)
      get a blu ray player
      and last hope it catches on
      easy enough right?

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Peter, he's looking for a TV, about the only relevent comment there is to wait for 1080p, which is already around... so he doesn't have to wait for it... :scratchhead:
        Jason

Comment

• peterS
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by aud19
          Peter, he's looking for a TV, about the only relevent comment there is to wait for 1080p, which is already around... so he doesn't have to wait for it... :scratchhead:
          you will want a 1080p that has hdmi 1.3
          none exist that fit that criteria
          the reciever was just an assumption but equaly valid

he can basicaly be as future proof as can be or just get a 720 p that fits his budget with the stipulation that he may repurchase in a few years once the dust settles... maybe a rear projection as that offers more bang for the buck

Comment

• Shawn Parr
            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by peterS
            you will want a 1080p that has hdmi 1.3
            I'm honestly curious why this is? My understanding is that the HDMI 1.0 spec supports 1080p on video, just not as many different audio formats as the newer specs.

Since this is a TV we are talking about, it is only formats tuned via ATSC we need to worry about right? Is there a specification to allow DTS-HD and DD-HD (or whatever they are being called) to be broadcast via ATSC? If not those audio formats are probably going to be dealt with via the receiver or pre/pro.

I'm not trying to debate what you say, I'm just trying to figure out what I'm missing.

Thanks.

Comment

• therock
              • Mar 2006

No Reliefe Yet....

.... but thanks for the input. As i read here I do realize all I need is a real good picture. My audio will stay as is, see my sig.
              So it looks like a 50" calibrated Sony or Samsung RP DLP is in my future for the moment.
              How about some opinions between these two?
              Thanks, therock

My Other Hobby

Comment

• Shane Martin
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2001

There is no reason to get HDMI V1.3 for your TV. Current HDMI is enough to handle 1080P.

Comment

• peterS
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Shawn Parr
                  I'm honestly curious why this is? My understanding is that the HDMI 1.0 spec supports 1080p on video, just not as many different audio formats as the newer specs.

Since this is a TV we are talking about, it is only formats tuned via ATSC we need to worry about right? Is there a specification to allow DTS-HD and DD-HD (or whatever they are being called) to be broadcast via ATSC? If not those audio formats are probably going to be dealt with via the receiver or pre/pro.

I'm not trying to debate what you say, I'm just trying to figure out what I'm missing.

Thanks.
                  the 1.3 format isnt even finalized so what it will and wont entail is somewhat of a mute issue...while i am as clueless as anyone i do recall reading that it will be far more future proof for video quality that surpases anything even in development, keeping in mind that it is a standard that the backers would like to see in the pc world

the point i was trying to make is that major changes are on the way and it may not be wise to go all out on a purchas unless you understand that in a year or two all these things will have materialized

Comment

• peterS
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by therock
                    .... but thanks for the input. As i read here I do realize all I need is a real good picture. My audio will stay as is, see my sig.
                    So it looks like a 50" calibrated Sony or Samsung RP DLP is in my future for the moment.
                    How about some opinions between these two?
                    i am partial to the sony
                    nice off axis viewing as far as rear projection goes, very vibrant almost exaggerated colors that grab peoples attention screen door effect is not as noticeable as other lcds, refresh rate may be an issue

the samsung has been rumored to have bulbs that do not last long, unfortunately our display would lead me to the same conclusion as it has become very dim relative to the others, which can not only be expensive but impossible to find a few years down the road (toshiba is horrendous with stocking old parts and has resulted in me having to give customers brand new tvs even within a year of the original purchase) so keep that in mind with any rear projection

it subjectively grittier but notably more realistic looking probably due to less exaggerated colors no screen door and better contrast, still has refresh rate issues contrary to popular opinion

both can currently be had for less than 2k in a 50" which is impressive considering the sony sells very well at 2499

Comment

• therock
                      • Mar 2006

peterS

Thank You,

Your comments are noted.
                      It is really hard to wait but I may just wait and see what is around the corner for this summer. I hope the TV of choice has no wing speakers and a matte or satin black frame. Hence my choice of the Samsung over the Sony. A 50" with wing speakers just wil not fit where my TV has to go.
                      I also remember what USB 2.0 did to Firewire. HDMI what?
                      Thanks, therock

My Other Hobby

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by peterS
                        the samsung has been rumored to have bulbs that do not last long,
                        Which is one of the reasons why I recommended waiting for the LED lit models due out in a month or so

Also as far as I know HDMI 1.3 only deals with audio specs. As such any version of HDMI for your display should be fine as mentioned.
                        Jason

Comment

• IntegrateMe
                          • May 2004

Have you considered the 1080p HP Sets?

I saw them at EHXpo and was very impressed.

The 62" Mitsubishi WD-62927 is very nice too, but Mits is unveiling their new stuff this weekend. (Hint: Colored Lasers may replace DLP).

Sony is also coming out with a 55" SXRD as well.

Sorry to confuse more.

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

The HP sets have got mediocre reviews......
                            Jason

Comment

• runninkyle17
                              • Nov 2005

Check out the 42" Westinghouse 1080p LCD monitors. They have 2 DVI, 1 HDMI (yes it supports full 1080p), 1 VGA, and 2 Component inputs. It is a great monitor.

You have to get a seperate HDTV tuner, but most people already have one. Plus the PQ on it is awesome. Best Buy carries them although they are overpriced, but if you have time check them out and see if you like it or not.

Westinghouse also makes a 37" version that is the same thing, but smaller obviously.

Comment

• aud19
                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2003

No offense but the Westinghouse sets I've have far from awesome PQ. They're budget sets and have budget quality IMO.
                                Jason

Comment

• peterS
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by aud19
                                  No offense but the Westinghouse sets I've have far from awesome PQ. They're budget sets and have budget quality IMO.
                                  last years model had a cult following for the 1080p ones as computer monitors
                                  beyond that they are a notch above walmart and targets offerings
                                  but there picture quality is down right bad and a waste of money in my eyes

fyi they do not have a 1080p set anymore
                                  edit!
                                  actualy there is a 1080p 42"
                                  i was just unawre of it
                                  it actualy performs far better than the other westing houses and looks phenominal as a computer monitor
                                  contrast ratio is a little weak relative to others but if you can use it as a pc monitor it is a very fair trade
                                  great buy for the money
                                  Last edited by peterS; 19 April 2006, 22:59 Wednesday.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"