X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • moe32274
    • Nov 2005

next generation Sony XBRs . . .

Ok. I love the new Sony LCoS HDTVs - I get a warm, fuzzy feeling each time I think about the R50XBR1 at nite before bed . . . . . :twisted:

But I am annoyed by the fact that it will not accept a 1080p signal - ostensibly because of unresolved copyright issues. So, I have a few questions that I hope the cognoscenti on this board can answer:

1) when can we expect the next generation of XBR HDTVs to hit market? Will the next model accept 1080p?

2) presumably they will have a lower MSRP than the current models - any thoughts on that topic?

3) any thoughts on what other upgrades will be available on the 2d generation models - two way CableCard, for example?

Thanks in advance,

M.
  • Kens1
    • Mar 2005

Supposedly, the new JVC LCos TV's will display 1080p but I have only heard this second hand so I cannot confirm this. I beleive these TV's have already started showing up in the market.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

All I can say is it will happen at some point. Otherwise the difference between 1080p and de-interlaced 1080i to 1080p via quality electronics will be miniscule to nill.
      Jason

Comment

• Snap
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2005

:agree:

:yesnod:

The New SXRD displays are good enough IMO just like they are. AWESOME!
        The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• JKalman
          • Nov 2005

IMO, Sony at the least should be offering their new SXRD TVs with 1080p inputs. It is not like Sony doesn't know what their Playstation 3 (which is equipped with a BluRay player) will be using to output the 1080p signal. It has been posted all over the web, for more than a few months via Sony, that the PS3 will be using two HDMI cables for its 1080p connections. To me that does not make the new SXRD TV sets good enough.

If copyrights were the issue, then why did Sony already decide it was using two HDMI cables to send 1080p to TVs months ago? Seems like bad business to me... :M

Comment

• moe32274
            • Nov 2005

Answer to my own question . . .

I read this review by David Katz on Cnet.com:

Sony 55-inch SXRD
            Review date: 1/10/06

"Regardless of how beautiful they are, rear-projection TVs still have a self-image problem when they stand next to flat-panel plasmas. Sony aims to address the width disparity with a 55-inch SXRD-based model that has "a slim cabinet that is 30 percent thinner than the previous 50-inch SXRD model." Applying a bit of math to the spec sheet of said 50-incher, the KDS-R50XBR1, we learn that the SX(ier)RD measures 13.2 inches deep. That doesn't really out-flat a like-size plasma such as the 4.25-inch-thick Hitachi 55HDS52, but it's a start.

We were stonewalled when we pressed Sony's reps for more information, such as a model number, pricing, availability, or confirmation that the 55-incher would even see the light of day this year. The most we learned was that the set's light engine was completely redesigned to improve uniformity and brightness over past slim-cabinet HDTVs--the RCA HD61THW263 comes to mind--and that it would feature a pair of 1080p-compatible HDMI inputs. We expect to learn more at Sony's annual February line show, and given the excellent reviews received by first-generation SXRDs such as the 60-inch KDS-R60XBR1, we'd place money on the fact that the second generation will indeed pinch a few inches."

Comment

• JKalman
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by moe32274
              I read this review by David Katz on Cnet.com:

Sony 55-inch SXRD
              Review date: 1/10/06

"Regardless of how beautiful they are, rear-projection TVs still have a self-image problem when they stand next to flat-panel plasmas. Sony aims to address the width disparity with a 55-inch SXRD-based model that has "a slim cabinet that is 30 percent thinner than the previous 50-inch SXRD model." Applying a bit of math to the spec sheet of said 50-incher, the KDS-R50XBR1, we learn that the SX(ier)RD measures 13.2 inches deep. That doesn't really out-flat a like-size plasma such as the 4.25-inch-thick Hitachi 55HDS52, but it's a start.

We were stonewalled when we pressed Sony's reps for more information, such as a model number, pricing, availability, or confirmation that the 55-incher would even see the light of day this year. The most we learned was that the set's light engine was completely redesigned to improve uniformity and brightness over past slim-cabinet HDTVs--the RCA HD61THW263 comes to mind--and that it would feature a pair of 1080p-compatible HDMI inputs. We expect to learn more at Sony's annual February line show, and given the excellent reviews received by first-generation SXRDs such as the 60-inch KDS-R60XBR1, we'd place money on the fact that the second generation will indeed pinch a few inches."
              Very nice Moe. Thanks for posting that! I guess I will own a SXRD in a few months finally...

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JKalman
                Very nice Moe. Thanks for posting that! I guess I will own a SXRD in a few months finally...
                Jeff can you live with a 55" display? I think you were looking for something around 60" but if you can live with a slightly smaller screen I URGE you to wait until the SED's come out. I saw the SXRD at CES. I will politely tell you that the SED is to the SXRD what your soon to be 800D's are to the 703's!

Don't do it man! Wait until you "got SED?"
                "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• peterS
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Dec 2005

i realy cant understand all the hype over the sxbr on this forum
                  its a down right bad tv, significant bluring issues and horrible glitches w/ the upscalling
                  id take a pioneer plasma over this even if the sxrd was a 1/3 its current price

i look at this tv every day and absolutely detest it... i realy wonder how many of you that swoon over it have ever even seen it... too much hype

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

I have seen it quickly in store and from what I saw it was the closest thing to CRT from a currently available digital display. It does have some weak points (what doesn't) but I think you're being a bit harsh there...
                    Jason

Comment

• JKalman
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by peterS
                      i realy cant understand all the hype over the sxbr on this forum
                      its a down right bad tv, significant bluring issues and horrible glitches w/ the upscalling
                      id take a pioneer plasma over this even if the sxrd was a 1/3 its current price

i look at this tv every day and absolutely detest it... i realy wonder how many of you that swoon over it have ever even seen it... too much hype

I've been looking at it for a few months now, ever since the BestBuy near me put one on display. I don't know where you saw the SXRD, but I'm guessing that it was probably not connected to a High Definition signal because the one I see at BestBuy when I go there has incredible resolution, and I have never noticed any problems with upscaling. Perhaps you are thinking of a different TV, or the store you are at mislabeled the TVs. The BestBuy near me demos it with a HD station. I'm only using the TV for HD signals or at the worst 720p from the Xbox360. Right now it is the best looking TV I have seen on the market because of its 1920x1080 resolution. HD signals have never looked this good, they look much better on the SXRD than on the XBR plasma I own... Unfortunately, I am not going to buy it unless it takes 1080p inputs so it will be 100% Playstation 3 compatible.

Comment

• peterS
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by JKalman
                        I've been looking at it for a few months now, ever since the BestBuy near me put one on display. I don't know where you saw the SXRD, but I'm guessing that it was probably not connected to a High Definition signal because the one I see at BestBuy when I go there has incredible resolution, and I have never noticed any problems with upscaling. Perhaps you are thinking of a different TV, or the store you are at mislabeled the TVs. The BestBuy near me demos it with a HD station. I'm only using the TV for HD signals or at the worst 720p from the Xbox360. Right now it is the best looking TV I have seen on the market because of its 1920x1080 resolution. HD signals have never looked this good, they look much better on the SXRD than on the XBR plasma I own... Unfortunately, I am not going to buy it unless it takes 1080p inputs so it will be 100% Playstation 3 compatible.
                        hey guy i sell them, maybe you just dont notice it... YET
                        your money

it is the best looking on paper.
                        not best looking
                        id honestly give it an F
                        we dont carry the toshiba 73" 1080p or misubishi
                        but atleast they wont have the blurring problems
                        id imagine they have simalr problems w/ the upscaling

Comment

• peterS
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by aud19
                          I have seen it quickly in store and from what I saw it was the closest thing to CRT from a currently available digital display. It does have some weak points (what doesn't) but I think you're being a bit harsh there...
                          im around itr 40 hrs a day.... took me a good month to realize its limitations
                          initial impression was awe also

Comment

• JKalman
                            • Nov 2005

hey guy i sell them, maybe you just dont notice it... YET
                            your money

it is the best looking on paper.
                            not best looking
                            id honestly give it an F
                            we dont carry the toshiba 73" 1080p or misubishi
                            but atleast they wont have the blurring problems
                            id imagine they have simalr problems w/ the upscaling
                            Great for you! I don't sell them, I'm a venture capitalist, and I did notice that you implied that you sell them. To me that doesn't really mean much. Selling something doesn't earn people credibility points IMO. Go down to Best Buy and ask a few employees questions about the TVs they sell, most don't know much but certainly act like they do. Ultimately, I don't care, since I'm the one buying it. It is up to me to have done my homework on the equipment I purchase. For all I know you could have permanent eye damage. I might have eye damage as well. Perhaps it makes the SXRD look better than most TVs in the world.

I give the SXRD top scores compared to the other RPTVs on the market which are currently available for retail sale. The funny thing is, it seems a few reviewers have noticed the same satisfying picture quality I have noticed when demo-ing it.

When it is your money, you can buy what you think looks the best. I love that about democracies. I'm probably going to buy the Sony VPL-VW100, but this is not going to be anytime soon. I have other components which need upgrading first, as well as a room in need of professional audio treatment.

At any rate, thanks for your input, even if it is a bit interlaced. :rofl:

Comment

• Snap
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Feb 2005

:agree:

That is the cool thing also about this hobby. It is what YOU like is all that matters! (The wife too if you have one! :yesnod: )

Bottom line screw what every one else thinks....if you like it....BUY IT! And enjoy!

Plus there is always going to be some one that does not like some piece of equipment! :rofl:
                              The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• aud19
                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2003

FWIW, HT magazine reviewd a bunch of digital RPTV's in the latest issue. LCOS and DLP from HP, Mitsubishi, Samsung, Toshiba, JVC and Sony's SXRD. Those professional reviewers gave the Sony first place over all
                                Jason

Comment

• eddiem67
                                  • Jun 2004

I just bought the 60" should be here in a few days, my original plan was the Panny 50" plas, but the wife liked the picture so much, she said to buy this one, so I did. Once calibrated I am going to grind this bad boy through every test possible. I'll give you my final thoughts later.
                                  My Car Audio

Comment

• peterS
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by eddiem67
                                    I just bought the 60" should be here in a few days, my original plan was the Panny 50" plas, but the wife liked the picture so much, she said to buy this one, so I did. Once calibrated I am going to grind this bad boy through every test possible. I'll give you my final thoughts later.
                                    well i went to a competitor because this has been iritating me for some time

they had the 70" sxrd next to i believe mitsubishi's 56" 1080p

i didnt notice near as pronounced "glitching" with the upscalling
                                    they had it hooked up to clean power as we do not... if thats the attributing factor thats amazing

still bluring issues of course and still some strange stuff around text but nowhere near as noticable

the dlp was much more 3-d ofcourse... tough call between the two because they both have there quirks

still got the pioneer elite plasma tops on my list but im definitly backing off from my anti sxrd stance somewhat :argue:

Comment

• peterS
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Dec 2005

just had the sony rep come in.... hooked up the 60" to a hard drive and like that all that pixelation was gone

morel of the story: clean power w/ digital source filtration... as our display did not have

with talking to him found out that the refresh rate (while still noticable) is actualy faster than the mitsu 1080p's

still wait till it can accept a true 1080p though guys :35:

Comment

• JKalman
                                        • Nov 2005

just had the sony rep come in.... hooked up the 60" to a hard drive and like that all that pixelation was gone

morel of the story: clean power w/ digital source filtration... as our display did not have

with talking to him found out that the refresh rate (while still noticable) is actualy faster than the mitsu 1080p's

1080p at 60 fps will be the time for me to buy one, since I plan on running my PC on it as well. That will be good enough for me. Right now it is at 24 fps I think, right? I definitely need the 1080p inputs also, for the PS3, Bluray and HD-DVD, at their full specifications.

Comment

• JKalman
                                          • Nov 2005

BTW peterS, I'm glad you took the time to check on the TV at your store. It takes commendable character to come back and correct your mistakes when you realize you had made them, in your case due to errors on the part of whoever set up that particular TV set at your store. :T

Comment

• Cooldmitriy
                                            • Oct 2005

RebelMan, what is SED?

Comment

• aud19
                                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Cooldmitriy
                                              RebelMan, what is SED?

Jason

Comment

• Cooldmitriy
                                                • Oct 2005

Nice. Thanks

Comment

• moe32274
                                                  • Nov 2005

So, there's been more chatter on CNET.COM recently about Sony's second generation SXRD XBR models - supposedly there will be a 50' model; a 55' model; and a 60' model. Anyone here know anything about this?

Comment

• JCleave22
                                                    • Mar 2006

Hello. Newbie here... Contemplating purchasing the 50" SXRD soon... like possibly this weekend, because of a great sale I found. Should I hold off? I think it would kill me if I get it home, and then soon after Sony brings out the new model with the 1080p capable hdmi inputs, and possibly different speaker design. Anyone else heard anything about a possible release date? thanks

Comment

• aud19
                                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2003

Most new TV models are released in the late summer/early fall so chances are that's when the SXRD replacement will be along. It's up to you if you can/want to wait

FYI the LED powered DLP RPTV's should be coming out around the same time. If you are going to wait, you might want to compare the SXRD to them....
                                                      Jason

Comment

• peterS
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by aud19
                                                        Most new TV models are released in the late summer/early fall so chances are that's when the SXRD replacement will be along. It's up to you if you can/want to wait

FYI the LED powered DLP RPTV's should be coming out around the same time. If you are going to wait, you might want to compare the SXRD to them....
                                                        a lot of stuff is changing over now.... it either has a atsc tuner (< 37" lcds) or a lower price point (plasma).... all state improved contrast and refresh rates too but i haven't seen a noticable difference in the samsung and sony lcds or the panasonic plasma relative to last year, leading me to believe these numbers are marketing specs (as they always have been imo)

no 1080p's yet
                                                        personaly i think there is still sufficient ground that needs to be covered in terms of performance even at the 720p resolution, so there is deffinatly a good argument for waiting if you are on a budget... as painfull as that may be

Comment

• peterS
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by JCleave22
                                                          Hello. Newbie here... Contemplating purchasing the 50" SXRD soon... like possibly this weekend, because of a great sale I found. Should I hold off? I think it would kill me if I get it home, and then soon after Sony brings out the new model with the 1080p capable hdmi inputs, and possibly different speaker design. Anyone else heard anything about a possible release date? thanks
                                                          it will have both detachable speakers and 1080p, initially i was under the impression that it was releasing soon, now it appears it wont be till late in the year
                                                          having seen what the sxrd can do (ignoring the refresh rate problems) with true 1080p via a hard drive ive backed off my hatred of it somewhat... but id say it is worth the wait for a more refined version that at least incorporates native 1080p
                                                          any respectable retailer will honor past sale prices, trust me even with the recent price drops there is still room for more, that is why certain retailers push the sxrd so hard relative to others...a lot of margin on this, where as the xbr has surprisingly little despite its sky high price

Comment

• JCleave22
                                                            • Mar 2006

Thanks for the responses. Peter- I agree, it probably will be worth wait, regardless of which month they are released this year. It will be hard since, I'm ready to buy now, but I know I'll be kicking myself, if I buy this thing, and a new and improved model comes out soon to follow. Since you seem to be in the know... are there any other sources/ sites you could recommend that might have further details, or that give updates? It seems Sony likes to keep a lid on big things, or atleast with the PS3.

Comment

• peterS
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by JCleave22
                                                              Thanks for the responses. Peter- I agree, it probably will be worth wait, regardless of which month they are released this year. It will be hard since, I'm ready to buy now, but I know I'll be kicking myself, if I buy this thing, and a new and improved model comes out soon to follow. Since you seem to be in the know... are there any other sources/ sites you could recommend that might have further details, or that give updates? It seems Sony likes to keep a lid on big things, or atleast with the PS3.
                                                              all rumors nothing tangible....
                                                              the onlything i do know is that on best buys web site presale estimated ship date for blu ray is 7/2 i believe :E
                                                              we were told that toshiba's hd dvd player's price is a secret in a memo (as in we were not being told)
                                                              unfortunatly the price is already on that same website :roll: :rofl:
                                                              i can also tell you the shortage of panasonic plasmas is starting all over again :evil:
                                                              also BB will be carrying HP but not the rear projection

thats all :huh: got.

Comment

Working...
                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                              Search Result for "|||"