X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rick c
    • Aug 2004

Plasma lifespan ?

I may be planing on getting a new display.I like the 34" sony crt.But those plasma's by panasonic really look great.I've heard that the plasma's are not worth getting due to the lifespan.That they loose their luxture real fast(7 years).This may be misconceptions but i dont know.Can anyone advise me about the plasma's,are they worth getting over a crt or dlp.Thanks
  • Andrew M Ward
    • Apr 2005

The last report I read showed the latest version of Plasma technology lasting a minimum of 70,000 hours and more likely over 100,000 hrs.

100,000 is about 20% longer than a regular CRT (Tube)

if money is the issue wait till November, big price drop in Plasma scheduled for then. The mfg. cost of units being made today (for November market) is 25% less than units being manufactured just 45 days ago.

Streamlining of factory lines, new glass technology, and consolidation of Mfg. resources have done wonders for Flat Panel production.

Comment

• rick c
      • Aug 2004

Which one of the plasma's in the 40" range should i be looking at.I understand that the panasonics are probably the best.Am i correct in this assumption.I dont know jack about the plasma's other than they look great.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
        • Apr 2005

Fujitsu / Panasonic / Pioneer

it would be difficult to go wrong with anything name brand, as it stands today. I'm not a certified video guy, so I'll refrain from directly suggesting a product.

there are many (many many too many) common parts amongst Plasma's for me to get too excited about any particular product over another. However, that said, I will likely be corrected by somebody who knows better.

Just my 2 cents

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Andrew M Ward
          Fujitsu / Panasonic / Pioneer
          Those would be the plasma brands I'd be looking at :T Pansonic is likely your best bet for PQ for the $$. The other two brands tend to be a bit more cash but if that's not your biggest concern and Fujitsu/Pioneer have features etc that you prefer over the Panasonic... by all means buy them

Otherwise if space isn't a concern, I'll put a vote out there for one of the high-end Mitsubishi or Hitachi CRT sets (while you can still find them!). ESPECIALLY after an ISF calibration, you'll get by far the best PQ out there and for the best price out there. Nothing wrong with those two things! :P
          Jason

Comment

• rick c
            • Aug 2004

Back to my original ? is it fair to say that the short life span on the plasma's is a misconception?That they will not lack PQ over time.This is my main concern.I dont want to spend this kind of money for a display that wont be very good down the line.I was thinking getting a panny plasma or the sony 34" xbr crt set.I know the crt would last for a long while.Just trying to get a grip.thanks

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

All displays lose output overtime. CRT, Plasma and the bulbs in DLP and LCD sets require replacing around 3000-4000 hours. (Though when you replace them it's like having a new set again. A good or a bad thing? You decide ) As for the non-"backlit" displays, regardless of the technology, they should last longer than when you're likely to upgrade them by. In other words I wouldn't worry about it
              Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2001

is it fair to say that the short life span on the plasma's is a misconception?
                Yes. I've lost track of the # of misconceptions that go with Plasma TV's.
                there are many (many many too many) common parts amongst Plasma's for me to get too excited about any particular product over another.
                The glass and scalers are all different. These 3 make their own. Fujitsu's are the best of the best but the most expensive. Panasonics have the best blacks and contrast while Pioneers are the brightest. Supposedly Pioneer has changed their next generation glass to be better with the contrast so if you want one or want to consider one, I would wait until those launch which should be soon.

That all said, my friend loves his Panasonic. The PQ is stellar.

Comment

• Brandon B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2001

While plasma lifespans have improved and have never ben the issue some make them out to be, CRT lifespan ratings and plasmas ratings cannot be directly compared, as they are not determined in the same way.

ExtremeTech is the Web's top destination for news and analysis of emerging science and technology trends, and important software, hardware, and gadgets.

Essentially, plasmas are 60,000+ hours to half brightness of typical APL, not half of original full brightness. The time to half maximum original brightness is less, although still more than sufficient to make them a good viewing option.

BB

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"