X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stjoenewt
    • Jul 2003

Digital cabling question

I will be re-arranging my family room soon to accommodate a big screen HDTV. I had planned to have an audio rack housing all the sources for both audio and video, which is off to one side the room. The HDTV will be fairly close, but the cable runs will be along the walls, around a nook, and as such, fairly long. Is there any distance limitations on the digital cable options? I've noticed that most vendors don't sell either DVI or HDMI cables longer than 12-15 feet, which isn't nearly long enough for my arrangement. I would estimate the length for the cable to be 40-50 feet. Do I need to re-think where every thing is going? I could put the DVD player close to the HDTV and run a digital cable to the surround receiver for the audio. But then it would also have to be the length previously mentioned. :roll:
    Mike
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

We've got another DVI/HDMI cable discussion going somewhere here in the Guide. Basically, you can find several vendors for a 50 ft cable online. Be careful, though, because with 30 ft and longer cables of these types, signal loss is much more prevalent in cheaper brands, which creates major flicker and distortion on your screen. Be prepared to pay $299 or more for these types of cables from a good vendor.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• stjoenewt
      • Jul 2003

Thanks Chris. I should have searched first before posting and will look for the thread.
      Mike

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"