X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

TV recomendation

Guys my boss is looking to buy a TV that will likely be about 32" or so. He's only going to be watching 4:3 cable and the odd DVD on it but wants HDTV compatibility for the future...he tends to keep gear for a LONG time. Anyway my recomendation was a 4:3 HDTV ready TV but I thought I'd ask you guys for some input and some specific models as I've been out of the video loop for a bit.
  • Bent
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2003

I've always liked the Panny Tau HD compatible models - but Gregor may hold a different opinion at the moment.

I personaly can't recomend a 4/3 tv to anyone - just personal choice.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I normally wouldn't either but to be honest I doubt he'll watch more then 2 movies a month on it...its really just for cable etc.

Comment

• jimmyp58
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

Quite honestly, Toshiba makes some all-in-one units. That is, tv + built-in DVD player. This might be the ticket. Toshiba has great TVs that last a long time and they look great.

Jim
        jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Snap
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2005

Andrew, JVC makes a good HDTV that is 32 inch that is under a grand.The box said 32 in US and 34 in Canada not sure what all that is. But it looks good and had a good PQ. The MPN is AV32S776.Just make sure to have him buy it from a Authorized dealer. The reason that I bring this up is there is a Lot of B stock JVC stuff on the NET acting as New. And, as usual Jimmy is also correct about theToshiba's. Great TV! The JVC is just Cheaper and looks just as good in MHO The draw back on the JVC is that it does not have a DVD player built in. But it is HDTV ready with a ATSC tuner built in. Throw in a 50 buck Terk antenna and HD for free. :T (Local stuff only....but hey its free)

By the way better recommend a good TV the boss gets a TV that breaks in a day and your TOAST! :rofl:
          The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

Pretty much all the major brands have decent 32" sets: Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic, JVC.

The Sony 32" XBR Wega is likely the flagship of the bunch, and the most expensive. Panny Tau sets are similar to the Wegas.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Apparently he's having a difficult time finding 4:3 sets that are HD ready as they're all widescreen now but I'll pass along your suggestions.

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

I doubt you'll find many 4:3 HD sets either Andrew. Try Costco, they may even have some old stock 4:3's otherwise I know they have a couple 30"-34" inexpensive 16:9's from Panny and/or Philips etc
                Jason

Comment

• Snap
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2005

I am not sure if you have Sears in Canada but they sell JVC and a few other TV's that are very well priced. Did you check with Jimmy P58 to see if had something that you could hook your boss up with? There might be a whole host of Tarrif things that could stop him, but it might be worth a try.

If not JVC list CDW and Crutchfield as authorized internet sellers.
                  The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"