X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sonnie Parker
    • Jan 2002

DTV / SD / HDTV 16:9 vs 4:3

It didn't take long for widescreen to spoil me.

Since I've gotten my new HDTV widescreen monitor I've been surfing trying to learn more about when I would be able to really take advantage of viewing OTA widescreen broadcast and exactly what digital television would bring to the table in the way of widescreen.

I got to wondering what will be happening in my area and how much of the digital signal would actually be widescreen. Yeah, a digital signal is gonna be great in itself, but sounds like to me there's gonna still be a lot of 4:3 stuff out there.

These are a couple of items I found that were of interest to me:

From the FCC's website: http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/digitaltv.html

How Much Better Is the Resolution of DTV Compared to Current Analog TV?

Most analog television broadcast stations transmit a picture that contains 480 vertical interlaced lines with approximately 340 horizontal pixels per line. DTV sends pictures that contain 1080 vertical interlaced lines with 1920 horizontal pixels per line, making the resolution much better.

High Definition Television (HDTV)

HDTV is television with theater-quality pictures and CD-quality sound. Broadcasters can use the DTV system to offer HDTV. They can also use DTV to offer several different non-HDTV (or standard definition) programs at the same time (see above), with better pictures and sound quality than is generally available over analog channels today. In addition, a broadcaster can simultaneously transmit a variety of other information, such as stock market quotes or interactive education materials, as part of its standard DTV broadcast to both enhance its TV programs and to provide entirely new services.

Here's another good link on the FCC's site about DTV in case anyone is interested and hasn't read it:

Then I found this on WGN's stations FAQ:

What is standard definition (SDTV)?

The SDTV format gives you a better quality picture, improved reception and no 'ghosting'. It will broadcast in a widescreen format (16x9) and give you most benefits of digital television, including multichannelling and program enhancements. SDTV-only sets and set-top boxes are expected to be more expensive than analogue sets, but cheaper than HDTV sets or set-top boxes.

What is high definition (HDTV)?

HDTV represents the latest state-of-the-art technology, providing up to six times more detail in picture and sound quality than SDTV and the current analogue system. HDTV will be broadcast in widescreen format and offer cinema-quality viewing with Dolby surround sound, as well as all the other benefits of digital television. HDTV sets and set-top boxes are expected to be more expensive than the SDTV choices. GWN does not broadcast HDTV at this time.

I gather WGN may be one of the ones broadcasting their SD in widescreen. Or will they really?

I checked out http://www.antennaweb.org to see when our local affiliates would be broadcasting in digital as well. Our NBC affiliate was listed for May 2003. Several others listed for first and second quarter of 2003 as well.

I e-mailed our NBC affiliate and got a quick response that they would probably go live with digital in the last quarter of 2003. A little different that antennaweb.org reports. They further advised that only some of their content would be widescreen. Initially more would be SD 4:3 while they would pass along a National HD signal.

According to the FCC the stations have the opportunity to broadcast HD signals but it's not a requirement.

That's frustrating because we could end up having to constantly change our picture size mode. One hour it may be 4:3 the next 16:9 then back to 4:3 the next hour or two later.

Is it reality to believe that eventually every broadcast will be 16:9 whether SD or HD? Seems like there is a lot of made for TV 4:3 AR programming out there that would just have to be dumped if they rid 4:3 all together. I may not mind that though, since I'm spoiled already.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Since DTV/HDTV is 16:9 native, chances are the station or network will windowbox 4:3 material so you won't have to switch modes on your TV or STB.

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Just to confuse things further, Fox is currently letterboxing some of it's SDTV shows - Angel and 24 are two of them, if I remember correctly. Also, their "Fox High Def" broadcasts aren't really HD - it's a 480p transmission. :roll:

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
        • Jan 2002

Originally posted by Kevin
        Since DTV/HDTV is 16:9 native, chances are the station or network will windowbox 4:3 material so you won't have to switch modes on your TV or STB.
        If they letterbox this 4:3 material wouldn't they have to pan and scan the picture top and bottom? How exactly would that work, can you explain so a hillbilly can understand?

Originally posted by David
        Just to confuse things further, Fox is currently letterboxing some of it's SDTV shows - Angel and 24 are two of them, if I remember correctly. Also, their "Fox High Def" broadcasts aren't really HD - it's a 480p transmission.
        David, I had heard that FOX's HD really wasn't true HD. I watch 24 weekly and it does display "Fox Widescreen" at the bottom of the screen at the beginning of the show but there is no letterboxing. Would I see this if I had a HD tuner?

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

double post - server hiccup

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Sonnie, I may be wrong on 24 being letterboxed. I've definitely seen it on Angel and thought I'd seen it on 24.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"