X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LARRY96
    • Feb 2005

Crt

I'm currently looking for a good CRT TV for under $4000.
    Is there any that you might recommend or even any that you might say stay away from. I want something around 50" - 56".

Thanks
  • BlazeMaster
    • May 2004

Larry, you're in the wrong section...before the mods move it to the RPTV section, you should try your luck there. With that being said, you can find alot of really high end CRT stuff with a budget like $4000 and under. One that comes in mind is the Mitsubishi Diamond line and they have one that's 55 in. diagonal. Mitsubishi's Diamond line are some of the most well regarded CRT RPTVs out there. They retail for around your budget, you should be able to talk down the price a little bit easily. How much viewing distance do you have? They also have a 65 in. version in the same line with a 9'' CRT gun that gives gorgeus PQ.

Comment

• Bob D207
      • Jun 2001

I just added a Toshiba 57H84 to my home theater room and couldn't be happier. Picture right out of the box was very nice . After my buddy Kevin P converged and calibrated it the picture is excellent. Paid $1599

Highly recommended

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

I moved this thread to the RPTV area.

I'm a Mitsubishi fan myself (I owned a 46" for 5 years) but pretty much any CRT is going to look awesome nowadays after calibration. Mitsubishi and Hitachi are highly regarded, Toshiba makes some very nice sets also. So does Sony, but you'll pay more for the name. Also check out Pioneer Elite. Their sets are expensive but are often considered the best of the best for RPTV.

You may want to reserve $500 of your budget for an ISF calibration of your set after it has a couple hundred hours on it. An ISF tech will tweak the set to the nines, primarily adjusting the grayscale to give the most accurate picture possible out of the set. It is a worthwhile investment for any CRT set. In the meantime, get a copy of Avia or Digital Video Essentials and do a basic calibration yourself--this disc helps you set Contrast, Brightness, Sharpness, Tint and Color to the proper values to get the best picture and most life out of the set.

Comment

• Neal_C
          • Feb 2003

I am a Mitsubishi fan as well. I have owned my Mits 46807 since January 2001.

With a 4k budget, you can definitely get a very good quality set. Prices are coming down constantly.

I would start off by saving $500 or so for a calibration (as has been mentioned), about $300 or so for a extended warranty. So you would be down to about $3200.

Just going to the Ultimate Electronics website to do a quick check on prices, you can get:

Mits 55615 under $2200
          Mits 55315 under $1500 (saw this set on sale at another place under $1400)
          Mits 65615 under $2700
          Mits 65515 under $2500
          Mits 55515 under $2000
          Mits 65315 under $2000 (on sale under $1900)
          and if you wanted to up your budget, or find someone to give you a really good deal, you could get the Mits 65813 (Diamond Line) for under $3900.

Just some thoughts there in the Mits line.
          Last edited by Neal_C; 13 March 2005, 13:14 Sunday.

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

I own a Mits and find it to be fantastic. My father in law bought one too as did my friends' father in law. No complaints, fantastic PQ.

I paid $1700 for my 55" Mits.

Comment

• Foxman
              • Jan 2003

Mitsubishi WS46515 here and I got a steal. Fantastic set. The only other set I have seen with comperable quality is no longer made, a Pioneer Elite.
              IMO

My Movies
              Bad Pics of my system

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"