X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Doop
    • Dec 2004

Another question about connectivity

I want to feed both the PJ in the HT and the HD monitor in the living room with component output from the Dish HD receiver.

The simplest, cheapest thing obviously would be to put RCA-type "Y" splitters on the 3 output jacks of the receiver, but I assume that's too simple and easy.

Incidentally, I have about a 23-foot run from the sources to the PJ, for which I'm using RG6 quad. Seems to work great.
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Y splitters on the component outputs will work, but you may have some degradation in image quality. We've done it in a couple of installs and it's worked fine though. But then they weren't using high-end FP gear nor were they videophiles. In other words, "your mileage may vary".

I'm sure if you cruise the net you can find active splitters or distribution amps for component video, but that's another box to buy and more $ to spend, but it would eliminate the signal loss issue.

Comment

• Doop
      • Dec 2004

That's kinda what I figured. The problem is that it's almost impossible to find a distribution amp with only 2 outputs, and I see no reason to pay for 4 or more. If I could find some tech info, I could probably haywire some kind of isolation circuitry. I'll probably use the "Y" and see what it looks like, then go from there. Just wanted to make sure I wouldn't screw up anything. Thanks.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

I had the same problem to a degree. I have two projectors in my HT and wanted to feed component to both. For the life of me I couldn't find a amplified splitter with only two outs. I ended up buying the INDAY switcher with 4 component outputs.
        BTW, I had tried the Y splitter thing and found the signal less than pristine. The INDAY amplified splitter really delivered the goods. Strong signal, good colors and no interference. The unit was $140USD, so it is not cheap.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Doop
          • Dec 2004

The intelligent thing, I suppose

Would be to wait and see if I ever have a need to watch the Dish HD receiver on both sets simultaneously. If not, it isn't horribly difficult to unplug one set of wires and plug in the other.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"