• aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Samsung 102" Plasma!!?!?!

WTF?!?! :E

Jason
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Yipes! I bet that thing weighs a ton. I don't want to be the poor guy who has to hang it on a wall. It would have to be a reinforced wall, at least.

At that size, you're better off going with front projection. The largest plasmas are, or at least were, lacking in picture quality compared to smaller ones.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

I don't even want to know the price!! :E :nonod:
      Jason

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

It probably costs more than the truck or SUV you'd need to bring it home. 8O

Comment

• Brandon B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2001

500 lbs.

The sometimes-alleged price is $100K, although others allege it is a technology demo piece only, and will not be sold, that the price is just being thrown out by show reps so people stop asking.

The 80" one can be had for $75K.

BB

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

It would probably be cheaper to build a 102" fake plasma and a room behind it for projecting an image to fill the space through a few mirrors and perferated screen. Like a rear projection TV. lol. Note I said build a room too.

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Shane Martin
              Super Senior Member
              • Apr 2001

Yep as Brandon said its more of a "My penis is bigger than yours" type deal from them. They basically made it to show off.

Comment

• Kevin P
                • Aug 2000

They probably did it just to prove it could be done. Not that anyone with an ounce of sense would spend $100K on a 102" plasma when so many other technologies can provide that size image with better quality for a fraction of the cost.

P.S. That's $980.39 per inch! 8O That's like 10 times the "per-inch" price of a 50-inch plasma.

Comment

• Brandon B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2001

Part of the "look it can be done" is it proves they can make four 50" units from one piece of substrate at one time. Means production and therefore pricing on 50" units will be dropping. So it is not a useless exercise.

BB

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                    • May 2004

even though it cost an arm and a leg to have that....just imaging watching a 102'' image at the right viewing distance. Oh My!!, it'll definitly beat the Front Proj. in the brightness and vibrancy department. If money is no issue, I'd probably get one of these in a dedicated theater room, instead of a 102'' projected image.

Comment

• sanaka
                      • Feb 2005

I have no way to build a room behind my viewing wall. So if I had a 100 thou around I'd be on this baby :-)

Peace,
                      Sanaka
                      We are sorry for the inconvenience...

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by sanaka
                        I have no way to build a room behind my viewing wall. So if I had a 100 thou around I'd be on this baby :-)

Peace,
                        Sanaka
                        FRONT PROJECTOR!!! :B
                        Jason

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"