X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Doug S
    • Dec 2004

Connections...DVI/VGA/S-video..?

Which of these these would be the best outputs or should I ask best to worst DVI, VGA, S-video? Hooking it up to say an Infocus 4805 ang by using a VGA splitter am I going to incure signal loss?
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

If by VGA splitter, you mean an active buffer amplifier like an Exetron box, then that's OK. If you mean a passive cable device, not a good idea.

VGA is RGBHV, which from computers has WAY more bandwith than reuqired for the video siginal for a 4805. DVI is good, but really starts to make a difference only with the higher res formats- HDTV. So, which ever is more convenient or easier with your gear, will probably work fine.

S-Video sacrifices color bandwidth, and furthermore, is an interlaced format. Try to avoid that.

~Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

Echo most of what Jon says, although going to DVI on my digital PJ made a very worthwhile difference in my image, big reduction in noise and improvements in detail and contrast, and I had really decent component cables before that. And that's just DVD. Don't have any hidef. I had never tried RGBHV, though, so I may very well have seen some of that improvement that way too.

With the 4805, I would say your image quality for the various signal types would go, best to worst:

DVI (digital)
      VGA (RGBHV)
      VGA (over DVI-I connectors)
      Component (YPbPr)
      SVid
      Composite

BB

Comment

• Doug S
        • Dec 2004

Kool.....can I use a DVI to VGA adaptor coming from my computer DVI out to projector HD15 to M1 adaptor? this is for a 4805.....

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

With most current video boards like ATI and Nvidia which do DVI-I, you can go this way. For some CE units which are DVI-D (digital only), that won't work.

Interesting Brandon that you report this- is this only comparing to component, or to RGB? I know that there's a surprising amount of variation in component video output stage functionality and bandwidth; even the JVC D-Theater units have performance limitations which stem not from the storage media performance but from the luminance channel bandwidth.

I so rarely use component, I'm a bit "out of the loop" on that- even my one DVD player with component is immediately transcoded to RGBHV a few inches away from the player.

I'm looking forward to trying out a new DVI player with a DVI to RGBHV converter soon. Hopefully by Xmax time...

~jon
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

I've also heard mixed review of various DVI cables, so they may or may not produce better results than quality component cables. Also, component are more versitle at this point, and the right component cables are capable of quite impressive imagery.

I personally am not a subscriber to the notion that just because a connection is a newer type, it's automatically great. It may be better on selective individual applications, but not necessarily always better, or even as good-
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Dean McManis
              Moderator Emeritus
              • May 2003

I see DVI and RGB picture quality as about the same, even with HDTV resolutions.
              But cable quality differences make a big difference at higher resolutions.
              S-video is interlaced, so it is a harder job for your projector's internal scaler, and it's bandwidth limited too.

-Dean.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"