X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jazznsoccer
    • Apr 2004

1080P - a waste of good electronics??

Ok - why should I get 1080P if there isn't any source material? I don"t anticipate blu-rau for 3 years and not aware of anyone (cable or satellite) transmitting near that...
  • Shane Martin
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

Blu Ray 2006.

Right now 1080P is expensive and bleeding edge so yes right now its a waste but I'd say within a year maybe 2 you'll start seeing MORE 1080P hitting the market.

Also FWIW, A gentleman over at AVS has done some research on 1080P as far as DVI cables go and has found that the cheaper ones won't do 1080P w/o some big degredation. Basically he is finding that you need to drop a good $100 on a good DVI cable for 1080P of which there are only a handful of projectors/plasmas and TVs for.

Next year is the year of 1080P hitting the market full time. Sony should have a 70" XBR RPTV for 7k or so and supposedly the scalers in the 1080P sets are exceptional. I believe also there are several external scalers out ther capable of upconverting to 1080P.

Comment

• BobbyDS
      • Nov 2004

1080p here and now

1080p is defacto here. Pretty much all of the digital displays (LCD, LCOS, DLP, DILA) whether projected or not, display a progressive image.

The fact that there is not a lot of true 1080p material around yet is pretty much irrelevant, since the sensible folk with one of these displays will run their source material through a proper video processor to convert to 1080p, since that's what the display shows anyway.

For example, I use the Faroudja 1010, which accepts 480i, 576i, 720i/p, 1080i and outputs beautiful 1080p, which feed to a Aquos 45 and also a projector. It also does pass thru of 1080p, should I happen to bump into anything besides an HTPC.

I subscribe to using an outboard processor like the Faroudja because so many gadgets are limited by their own on-board electronics, which refuse to accept 1080p, even though the actual display device only operates in 1080p - very sad situation.

Having 1080p input, now, means that you can do a decent upconversion to 1080p. Apart from CRTs and some plasmas, I don't think many people are actually seeing a true 1080i image in hidef, but its mostly converted to progressive, "onboard", without them realizing it (and usually to a lower resolution as well, depending on the native capability of what their using.
      Last edited by BobbyDS; 27 November 2004, 08:21 Saturday. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"