X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • THX2468
    • Sep 2008

Sony STR-DA5400ES Faroudja Cinema Processor

I have a Sony STR-DA5400ES receiver. The blu-ray player upconverts dvd's as we all know. I understand that the Faroudja Cinema Processor compensates images when are upconverted to 720-1080i/p. Does it work for composite outputs only? I have a dvd/vhs combo with HDMI output that upscales pictures up to 1080p.
    Is this processor working when a dvd or vhs are playing on the combo with HDMI connection? Is the picture being processed through the receiver or is it just upscaled? I can see a difference when I watch a film through video composite (beta and laserdisc) or component on my old progressive scan dvd player. But using HDMI on dvd I can notice minimum sharp edges n the picture while on the old progressive dvd pictures are smooth using neutral settings on both machines . confusing for me.
    I've noticed that the sound on VHS tapes are converted up to 48kHz with this combo (Sony RDR-VX569) which makes THX processed tapes sound very dynamic.

Thanx
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Well, first, composite video (single yellow RCA jack) is capped out at 480p, so no, you will NOT get any upconverting output over that video jack. You may be talking about component video, the three red, blue, and green RCA jacks.

Different products have varying upscaling capabilities from their sources, and I can't say for sure what your product does. But yes, most of the newer ones will take any source, and be able to upconvert it to 720p or 1080i/p for output over component video or HDMI.

If a processor receives a video signal at a certain resolution (i.e. 1080p from your DVD player) it will not do any more upscaling to output it to the same resolution. (1080p)
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"