X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Major
    • Nov 2004

What projector to get for under $5k

New to the forum,

Just moved into a house that has a dedicated media room. I had planned on getting a RPTV, but since it's pre-wired for a front projector didn't think it made much sense to not get one.

The room size is 19x13, with the seating and wiring for the ceiling mount 14 ft away from the wall where the screen will be. The ceiling is 10ft high. The room has two windows on the side, but I'm getting blackout shades so light shouldn't be a problem.

I had thought about getting the new Sony (VPLHS51 is the model # I think), a friend of mine can get it for me for $2,400 - but I was told be a good friend of mine that projectors in this range "all will have brightness problems". Mind you that he thinks you have to spend $25k minimum for a good full HT.

I'm looking for suggestions on what would be the best projector to get.

Thanks for your help
  • Paul H
    • Feb 2004

Kevin,

I would say there are numerous projectors in your price range that do not have brightness problems, particularly in a 19x13 room with control of lighting.

My shopping ended last winter with a new Sanyo Z2, which I'm still happy with and would recommend - do a search on this forum for some comments on it from several people.

By all means read up on the specs and opinions of various pj's, but go see these things set up in showrooms and judge for yourself if at all possible.

Paul

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

If you have the light control, at that price I would get the Sony. It is pretty dim once calibrated (WSR's test showed it well under 500 lumens after calibration). But it is a great machine in all other respects.

BB

Comment

• mcwilson
        • Sep 2004

InFocus SP 7205

I have it and it is a simple to configure HD projector. You should be able to find it for around $6K

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Kevin, one thing to consider here is the throw distance in relation to screen size of whatever projector you plan to buy. This has to be taken into consideration if you are to use the existing wiring and ceiling mount position.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Major
            • Nov 2004

Thanks for the responses. George, I'm not planning on going with too big of a screen (definitely smaller than 100", probably more like 80"). Is a 14ft distance acceptable in this type of setup.

As far as keystoning it'll be dead-on, but will have to be adjusted some some since I the top of the screen has to be below 6ft due to the angled ceiling.

Any other input into the pj's is greatly appreciated...I didn't think I'd be getting one of these for years so I'm a little behind in my research on them.

Getting the B&W 700's this month!!!! Can't wait.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Kevin, the 14 foot seating distance is fine, but what I was referring to was the ceiling mount distance from the screen. Different brand projectors have different throw distances from mount to screen, so if you go with an 80" wide screen, and if you intend to use the present ceiling mount, you will have to be sure that the projector you buy will meet this distance criteria.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Brandon B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2001

I think the Sony supports that dstance. I am pretty sure the 7205 does too.

BB

Comment

• Minge
                  • Feb 2004

a friend of mine can get it for me for $2,400

Wow this is a great price! You would be hard pressed to beat this machine for that price. At that p[rice you can afford to run it on high bulb mode and buy a new one every year if you think the projector is too dim.

I had my mind set on a Dwin TV3 until I ordered my HS-51 which I believe is a steal at the price even I paid (a couple hundred more than u paid)

I would jump on the Sony if you are not in a hurry. I wouldn't be suprised if it is after the first of the year before these units hit the street.

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Hmmm... I didnt' know the 51 was even out yet. Okay, well, Minge, let us know what you find out!
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

As far as I know the 51 isn't available yet, but I understand that some dealers are taking preorders.

OOPPS ! UPDATE :

Read elsewhere that a fellow in Salt Lake City Utah just got himself a Sony 51. The dealer just got it in late last week. Looks like the PJs are on their way... to US dealers anyway. No sign of them in Canada as yet.
                      Last edited by George Bellefontaine; 22 November 2004, 13:24 Monday.
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• Major
                        • Nov 2004

I was planning to wait until January to get one, want to check out some other models over the holidays. As far as availability, my friend works at Sony, so they have the pricing, but had not confirmed that they were available yet

On price alone I think I'll have to go with the Sony, just hope I like the picture enough when I see one.

Thanks for everyone's input. If I get the Sony I'll be sure to post my thoughts, until then still taking other model suggestions. :T

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"