X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Energeezer
    • Sep 2002

Performance leader under 2500 PJ

Guys
    Those who know me know that I'm a CRT guy so my knowlege of the latest batch of digital machines is limited. I know the technology and beneffits /faults of the two main options LCD and DLP.
    A friend of mine (no reallly its not me) has asked me to suggest what machine to get for a max of 2500 CAD= approx 2050 USD.
    He is not sensitive to rainbows so I'm thinkinng DLP is Probably for him due contast ratio advantages. Also there is some flexibility re 4x3 or 16/9 native panel.
    Could you guys make some suggestions as to which machines should be in the running at this price point and possibly provide info as to where to purchase online.
    Thanks
    Steve
    The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

....simply put....

Infocus 4805 which is a DLP native 16*9....but not high def

Z2 LCD that is high def

2 very sweet machines.....
    Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Steve, Bam hit the high notes that I'm aware of. :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

In that same vein, an InFocus ScreenPlay 5000 would be worth looking at; 1280X720; about $2K. I'd hold out for at least a Matterhorn class resolution (1024X576), but I suppose it depends on the screen size and viewing distance. For me, an LT245 from NEC might be preferrable, (XGA), though it requires a break out cable to handle component inputs- some folks would find that awkward, don't want to deal with cable adapters. That might be a good choice if they watch a lot of cable or satelite sports. They're about 1999 USD.

For just a little more money, (~$200), a Panny PT-AE700 is doable, dynamic contrast ratio claimed 2000:1, smooth screen technology to reduce SDE, and "Cinema color management" for more lifelike color reproduction.

Panasoic PT-AE700 PDF

Never seen one, though, so I can't give a personal recommendation.

At that price range, I'd opt for a good used NEC 9PG+.

~Jon
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Energeezer
          • Sep 2002

Ok
          I personally believe that the first thing my friend needs to do is deceide which AR panel/panels he wants.
          If he wants 4/3 then it looks like 1024/768 16/9 then 1280/720
          Jon
          The LT 245 is very similar to an HT1000 Correct? If i remember it has a slower colr wheel right and 2000:1 rather than 3000 CR. I'll do a search and find out or myself.
          In the meantime does anyone have any links to a kind of aspect ratio for dummies which I can forward to my friend to help him deceide. He is new to the game so his knowlege is limited.
          I'm used to installing and giving advice with CRTs where IMO it is better to run a 4/3 screen since resolution is variable with these machines up to thier limits allowing you to mess with different A/Rs and not loose resolution.

BTW thanks for the replies and keep em coming.
          Steve
          The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD

Comment

• Dean McManis
            Moderator Emeritus
            • May 2003

My vote came from my pocketbook by recently buying the Infocus SP5000. :T
            But the Panny AE700 and Z3 look promising as well. 8)

-Dean.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Steve www.avdeals.ca has the Sanyo Z2 and Studio Experience 2HD for around that price point. http://www.projectorsplus.ca also sells them but we should be able to beat both those places through Kevin Benton and his service is amazing. Actually ProjectorsPlus has a demo Z2 onsale for a nice price if $2500 is a hard ceiling.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"