X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Digital Bob
    • Aug 2000

A Suggestion

I like the site so far. However I do have a suggestion for you.

It seems that the " new post mailbox" icon that comes up on the main forum menu is being reset every time you go back to the main menu. In other words if I go into a forum and read a post or two and come back out to the main menu, then the mailbox(s) that were just there disappear. That means once you read your first new post and return to the main menu to find the others, you have no clue where the other new posts are.

Seems like they should remain until a) you read the new post and/or b) you exit the whole site and revisit it later. My 2 cents.

dB
    dB
  • Mats
    Special Member
    • Jun 2000

That is strange. It doesn't do that here. I'm going in and out of the forum and the " new message" icon stays on. The feature is using a cookie setting on your browser so it might (just might) act like this if you have turned off acceptance of cookies in your browser.

Lets hear if there is more people out there having the same problem?

Mats
    HTGuide
    Mats
    Mats Strömberg
    Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!
    Navin R Johnson (alias Steve Martin)

Comment

• Digital Bob
      • Aug 2000

Mats,

Thanks for the reply. You are probably right about it being an issue with my PC/settings. But for the record I accept cookies and don't remember having any other similar issues in the past.

Just in case it turns out to be something more widespread, I'll give you another detail I discovered as it may help you diagnose the problem for others... It seems that if I close the browser/logoff/leave the site and return later then the issue I describe above happens. Ie, once I read a new post and go back to the menu all of the mailboxes are gone.

Now the weird part... If I hang out here a while and a new message appears (the mailbox pops back up), then once I read it the maibox won't go away ever(!) until I logoff and come back.

I hope this is a unique issue for me. Thanks again,

dB
      dB

Comment

• Digital Bob
        • Aug 2000

Mats,

An update...
        I do think this is something with the forum software and/or it's compatability with Internet Explorer. I say that because my work PC is now experiencing similar behavior. There is nothing common between the two machines; different ISP's/connections, different operating systems (NT & 98), different machines/processors. The only common threads are Internet Explorer and this forum.

If this is happening on 2 very different machines then I can't be the only one experiencing it...

It's certainly not a big deal, but it is kind of annoying. Thanks for listening,

dB
        dB

Comment

• Pat
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

Same here...but I have found that it is happening with every forum I visit and I think it started after I upgraded to IE 5.5

Pat's Page
          Pat's Page

Comment

• Lexman
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2000

You could always try Netscape. I haven't used IE enough to comment. Plus I try and go to every forum when I am here anyway. Like an old mother hen I guess, lol.

Netscape is a personal favorite of Mats, lol.

Lex

Comment

• Mats
              Special Member
              • Jun 2000

Netcrap is something the dog brought in, not me
              I'm running IE 5.5 here and it doesn't behave like that here. It's very strange...
              It's all about a cookie that we set on your first visit, and if you don't allow cookies in the IE security setting I can figure the forum would behave strangly when it comes to the "new message" icons among other things

Mats
              HTGuide
              Mats
              Mats Strömberg
              Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!
              Navin R Johnson (alias Steve Martin)

Comment

• Phil Rose
                • Aug 2000

I've got the same thing happening on the system I'm using now which is Netscape 4.7. I think that I just noticed it today but who knows?

Of course, wouldn't you know it that right after I posted this message I went and looked to make sure that I was seeing the same thing that I saw this morning and everything was AOK! :O

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"