• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregoriusM
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2000

I want my MTV! Actually, my CD drive icon

doh!

i was fooling around with Tweak XP Pro and somehow deleted my CD Drive icon on the desktop.

It doesn't show up in My Computers either........ or ANYWHERE!!

HELP!

How do I get it back?

Thanks!

Greg
    Gregor
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

Can you reboot the computer, enter the CMOS setup (usually hit "delete" or "F1" when starting up)? Check the drives listed there and see if the CD drive shows up.

You might go to Control Panel and Add New Hardware, let it search and see if it finds something. I've not had much luck in the past with this approach, however.

Let us know. I'm not familiar with Tweak XP so I'm starting from the basic checks...
    Danish

Comment

• GregoriusM
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2000

It shows up in the Device Manager and shows that it is working properly, which it is.

It will play DVDs, CD's, etc. I just can't SEE it, or get to it from within a program to save to a CDR or CDRW, etc.

I'll try the reboot idea.

Thanks D!
      Gregor

Comment

• GregoriusM
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2000

When I get the boot info screens, it shows there is a CD drive. Windows shows there is a drive in the Hardware Devices.

It's there. It's working. I just can't get to it.

Nero will test the speed of the drive, so it knows it's there, but I don't have to tell it where it is.

I'm out of ideas.

How do I get access back to my CD/DVD/RW drive?

Again, HELP!!!
        Gregor

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Its a registry hack I'm sure. You should be able to readd it in tweak xp though? There are options to delete the recycling bin and what not. Probably one of those that you clicked

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

If TweakXP won't let you add it back, Tweak UI should. Install Tweak UI, run it, expand My Computer, then click Drives. You'll see all the drives with check marks next to them, with your CD drive unchecked. Check it so it reappears.

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Yeah that should do it.

Comment

• JustinSC
                • Jul 2005

Settings -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Storage -> Disk Management -> Right Click CD drive and explore

Should now be able to recreate your shortcut on your desktop. Guess if that doesn't work try the tools mentioned by others.

Comment

• GregoriusM
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2000

Originally posted by Kevin P
                  If TweakXP won't let you add it back, Tweak UI should. Install Tweak UI, run it, expand My Computer, then click Drives. You'll see all the drives with check marks next to them, with your CD drive unchecked. Check it so it reappears.
                  YOU are DA MAN!

Somehow the check box for "E" drive was unchecked, thereby not showing it as a drive. TweakUI allowed me to check it again, and boom....... CD drive back!

Whew! Thanks! :T :T :T :B :B :B

;x(
                  Gregor

Comment

• GregoriusM
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2000

Originally posted by JustinSC
                    Settings -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Storage -> Disk Management -> Right Click CD drive and explore

Should now be able to recreate your shortcut on your desktop. Guess if that doesn't work try the tools mentioned by others.
                    Justin: Thanks for your input too. I went where you indicated, and the CD drive was showing as drive E:, but the only way I could get it to show up was to change its drive letter to something else. I chose "I". When I changed it back to "E" it disappeared.

That's when I tried TweakUI, and was able to check the box for drive E:.

Thanks for showing me more about the OS, though! I like to know as much as I can.

I wonder if there is a place in my actual Windows OS that allows me to check and uncheck drive letters without using TweakUI?

It would be interesting to know!

Thanks again!

Gregor <<<<< happy camper :T :T :T

:B
                    Gregor

Comment

• GregoriusM
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2000

Justin: I've just been looking into that Computer Management and see lots of great things about my computer.

Thanks for pointing me to it again, and "making" me look at it more closely!

:T
                      Gregor

Comment

• JustinSC
                        • Jul 2005

Not a problem, I'm glad you got it all fixed!

I believe this is what TweakUI does:

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"