X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AdelaaR
    • Dec 2010

My own custom music browser for Yamaha receivers

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    A few years back I built a dedicated home theater with Statements by Jim Holtz & Curt Campbell and F4's by Jed.
    Since I owe so much to this forum I feel like I should try to give something back, hence this topic.
    In both my studio/home theater and my living/kitchen I use a Yamaha receiver for my music.
    They're great for streaming music through DLNA from my NAS, but I never liked the software Yamaha made to control them.
    The problem is mainly that I have quite a large music collection and when browsing the collection through the official Yamaha app over WiFi and DLNA it takes way too long to update the pages and it also doesn't show the albums with covers as I think it should.
    Another silly thing with the official apps is that they use 2 seperate apps for both of my receivers, since I have a RX-V771 and a R-N301.
    The solution was simple: I made a custom music browser specific to my needs
    Here it is:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	musicbrowser.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	872165
    It loads the files from my NAS and caches them locally on my laptop and that way it browses much faster than over WiFi and DLNA.
    Then, after I select an album or song, it controls the receiver and starts playing.
    The difference between this and a typical DLNA player is that this tool isn't a player. It's a remote. After it has started playing one can shut the laptop down and the receiver will keep playing.
    It also has a "random album" feature that will present the user with randomly selected albums, a feature which I miss in all other players.
    If anyone is interested in using this, I'm sure I could make a help section and upload it for you guys.
    Just to clarify:
    The software works for Yamaha network receivers only and it is intended specifically for files on a network drive shared to the receiver through DLNA and the files must be kept in a specific sorted way for it to work.
    If anyone's interested, let me know.
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

V impressive, AdelaaR !

& thanks for contributing your work to the members here!

btw, this is the correct forum for your post

oh! i forgot to add.....my favorite beer in the world (it is a Belgium Trappist Ale)

_

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• AdelaaR
      • Dec 2010

That also happens to be one of my favorite ones.
      The reason for this is that I'm intolerant to sulfites, sadly, and this is one of the beers with a traditional, completely natural, brewing process and I can drink it without too much trouble.
      Most Trappist beers are like this and so those are about the only beers I drink, actually, apart from some locally brewn, small scale specialty beers.
      My specialty is coding software, though
      Some more info:
      The GUI is very basic with simple WinForms. This is because I just want it to work as an advanced remote and I don't care much about how flashy it looks.
      I made the colors dark to let the colors of the cover images pop out more and that's it.
      It caches a complete music collection to disk and using an SSD it works like a charm. I don't know how it'll perform on a HDD but it'll definitely be faster than browsing over the receiver through DLNA, which is a pain.
      It should be able to handle all Yamaha receivers and it can also control a second room through "Zone2", if available.
      The zones can be edited through a simple INI file and in the same way the path of the network files can be specified.
      It is specifically made for people like me who like to play albums as a whole and who like to see the cover image.
      As I said before: it's not a "player", but a "remote" and it can't do playlists or anything like that, but for playing large music collections consisting of albums I think it's great and I use it every day.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"