X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mats
    Special Member
    • Jun 2000

New Forum software

We're now on a new release of the Forum software which I hope you all will be pleased with. Some impreovements have been made (hopefully). Since it's all new there might still be some "un-documented features" in the software. Please make a note in this thread for any bugs found.

Mats
    HTGuide
    Mats
    Mats Strömberg
    Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!
    Navin R Johnson (alias Steve Martin)
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Don't know if this is a "documented" or "undocumented" feature but I noticed when I enter a forum the "Select topics from the: " now defaults to a year plus, where before it defaulted to 2 weeks. Changing this back to 2 weeks will probably help with server load issues.

I know I can change this in my cookie profile, but since I normally disable cookies on all sites that don't require them to function I can't do that. The old software defaulted to 2 weeks.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Undocumented Feature:

If you enter special spacing for a post, and then go back in to edit the post?

When you return, all spacing is gone, and the enter post is one long string without regard to spacing.

To prove that, I am posting with spaces on this one, then posting the text to a new post, then editing it and reposting below...

lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Undocumented Feature repost: If you enter special spacing for a post, and then go back in to edit the post? When you return, all spacing is gone, and the enter post is one long string without regard to spacing. To prove that, I am posting with spaces on this one, then posting the text to a new post, then editing it and reposting below... lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
        Doug

Comment

• Mats
          Special Member
          • Jun 2000

Originally posted by Kevin P
          Don't know if this is a "documented" or "undocumented" feature but I noticed when I enter a forum the "Select topics from the: " now defaults to a year plus, where before it defaulted to 2 weeks. Changing this back to 2 weeks will probably help with server load issues. I know I can change this in my cookie profile, but since I normally disable cookies on all sites that don't require them to function I can't do that. The old software defaulted to 2 weeks. KJP
          I changed it on purpose to 1 year + since the threads listing page now only shows the 1'st 35 threads, just like inside a thread.

Mats
          HTGuide
          Mats
          Mats Strömberg
          Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!

Comment

• Danbry39
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2002

The only problem I noticed is that my old link to HTG wouldn't work today. I went to Google and used the link I got from them. The reason I'm bringing this up is that, at first, I thought the site was down and wonder if any others are experiencing this.

Keith
            Keith

Comment

• Mats
              Special Member
              • Jun 2000

The URL into specific forums and/or threads had to change due to the new core structure of the software. I haven't found a way to solve a dummy action on old URL parameters.. I will keep working on that to see if there is a work around... but comming in from the main forum page allways works http://www.htguide.com/CFBoards/

Mats
              HTGuide
              Mats
              Mats Strömberg

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Nice job on the software upgrade Mats!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Kevin P
                  • Aug 2000

I have another "undocumented feature" to report:

View someone's profile, so the pop-up screen appears. Look under Homepage. You'll see an extraneous ">" before the homepage URL.

Also if the newlines problem can be fixed that would be nice. It affects editing profiles (signatures, etc.) as well as editing posts.

My HT Site

Comment

• Kevin P
                    • Aug 2000

I found another "feature" (actually a typo). On the reply page, where the email options are, it reads:
                    Please Email me when someone replies to this topic: (button) Direct (button) Onece a day
                    That should be "Once a day"

My HT Site

Comment

• Mats
                      Special Member
                      • Jun 2000

That should be "Once a day"
                      Thanx, Fixed...

Mats
                      HTGuide
                      Mats
                      Mats Strömberg

Comment

• Mats
                        Special Member
                        • Jun 2000

I have another "undocumented feature" to report:

View someone's profile, so the pop-up screen appears. Look under Homepage. You'll see an extraneous ">" before the homepage URL.

Also if the newlines problem can be fixed that would be nice. It affects editing profiles (signatures, etc.) as well as editing posts.
                        Thanx, Fixed

Mats
                        HTGuide
                        Mats
                        Mats Strömberg

Comment

• Lex
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Apr 2001

Mats, any way to put a link page up at the old address? I have serious concerns about us loosing people this way. Or a simpe redirect?

or not so simple redirect?

thanks

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                          Doug

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                            • Sep 2001

Also, I've noticed that when we "Reply" to a thread, there is no longer a scrollable copy of the thread on that same edit page. That was very handy for re-checking the various posts one might have been answering. Now it requires opening two separate browser windows with HT Guide in them (one with the thread open and the other with the edit screen open) and toggling back and forth between them.

Can the scrollable thread text be restored to the "Reply" edit screen?

Thanks -

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Lex
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Apr 2001

Burke, actually, the window is still there. Maybe you didn't give it long enough to display before you made your decision that it wasn't there?

That is the last thing to display on a reply to page.

I just pressed reply to here, and saw it.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                              Doug

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                • Sep 2001

Ahah -- thanks, Lex. Trying that "Reply" thing again, it took over a minute for the scrollable thread window to finally "paint" and since it is on a part of the screen that may not be visibile without scrolling further down, it doesn't appear to show up if you have already scrolled back up to the message input box, or (of course) gone back to the thread itself to check out the wording of a previous post and then come back in... so the "trick" is to wait a while for it to show up if you want to refer to the thread.

I don't recall it having that kind of lag between the two parts of the page showing up before, but then it took quite a while for any of the edit page to appear before. So now instead of a long wait for all of it, we get a quick paint of the edit box but a lag for the reference window.

Burke

Comment

• EMT
                                  • Aug 2000

Not sure if this is the right place for this question but is there a way to turn of display of avatars and signatures? I didn't see anything in the Profile page.

Comment

• Mats
                                    Special Member
                                    • Jun 2000

Nope... there is no such feature yet... Might have a look into that issue...
                                    Signatures I'm not sure I will turn off but the Avatars could very well be an issue.
                                    It's put down on the wishlist for releas 3.01

Mats
                                    HTGuide
                                    Mats
                                    Mats Strömberg

Comment

• Mats
                                      Special Member
                                      • Jun 2000

Originally posted by EMT
                                      Not sure if this is the right place for this question but is there a way to turn of display of avatars and signatures? I didn't see anything in the Profile page.
                                      Now members can turn off images and avatars in there Profile settings. This will also turn off Smileys. It will of course only work when you are logged in.
                                      This goes for Avatars, Posts and Signatures.

Mats
                                      HTGuide
                                      Mats
                                      Mats Strömberg

Comment

• EMT
                                        • Aug 2000

Now members can turn off images and avatars in there Profile settings. This will also turn off Smileys. It will of course only work when you are logged in.
                                        This goes for Avatars, Posts and Signatures.
                                        Thanks Mats. Tried that. But it seems to only turn off images attached to posts. Avatars and smileys still appear. Smileys aren't bad. It just the annoying avatars and signatures that I don't want to see. But if there is no way to get rid of them, I guess I'll just have to put up with them.

Comment

• Mats
                                          Special Member
                                          • Jun 2000

Avatars and Smileys are turned off also. What browser are you using ? Not that it really should make a difference but anyway...

Mats
                                          HTGuide
                                          Mats
                                          Mats Strömberg

Comment

• Mats
                                            Special Member
                                            • Jun 2000

Wooops... It was working but somewhere in the process it got screwed up I noticed. It's back in order again. Both Smilies and Avatars are gone now.

Mats
                                            HTGuide
                                            Mats
                                            Mats Strömberg

Comment

• David Meek
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2000

Mi Mats,

Just saw this on the on-line counter on the main page:

In total there are 38 users online :: [ Administrator ] [ Moderator ]
                                              Most users ever online was 61 on Apr 15, 2003 11:57AM
                                              Registered Members: Bing Fung, stereo.frog, Kevin_McC, Mats, David Meek, Eduardo, Trevor Schell, Burke Strickland, 24 Guest(s)

8 logged in, plus 24 guests, equals 32 users online. Not 38. Could it be that some have multiple sessions open?

David - HTGuide flunky
                                              Our "Theater"
                                              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• David Meek
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2000

Just checked it again. Now it's adding up properly. Huh????? :huh:

Comment

• Mats
                                                  Special Member
                                                  • Jun 2000

Nope, multi session is no problem since I'm just logging Username or the IP number... So, as long as you're not in using more than one IP number when you visit here I only get a doubble count after the login and till the next page load. I will see what I can do to orrect this without running into a performance issue having to loop thru this twice each time...

Mats
                                                  HTGuide
                                                  Mats
                                                  Mats Strömberg

Comment

• David Meek
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2000

Oh, don't knock yourself out on this as far as I'm concerned. It's not a big deal to me Mats, just puzzling.

David - HTGuide flunky
                                                    Our "Theater"
                                                    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Brandon B
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Jun 2001

Don't know if this is your problem or mine (only).

When I reply to a post, after pressing submit, I get an error screen saying notify administrator of a problem, hence my triple post the other day, even though it turns out to have posted fine.

This seems to occur under explorer (under Windows 2000 at work and 5.2 on OS X 10.2.5 at home). But not under Safari.

BB

Comment

• Brandon B
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Jun 2001

Don't know if this is your problem or mine (only).

When I reply to a post, after pressing submit, I get an error screen saying notify administrator of a problem, hence my triple post the other day, even though it turns out to have posted fine.

This seems to occur under explorer (under Windows 2000 at work and 5.2 on OS X 10.2.5 at home). But not under Safari.

BB

edit: It just did it with this post. Here's what it said (including truncated beginning of message, just as it displayed)

site administrator that this error has occurred (be sure to include the contents of this page in your message to the administrator).

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• Mats
                                                          Special Member
                                                          • Jun 2000

I wish I could say for 100% that the fault is yours only but at present I can't. Have not got any other reports on doubble posts so far so can't say yet what is actually happening. Also, I don't have any Mac OS/X machine to test from, only an old iMac with OS 9.1 on and have tested with Netcrap and IE on that without problem.
                                                          Will keep an eye on it... Need a bit more error report info than
                                                          site administrator that this error has occurred (be sure to include the contents of this page in your message to the administrator).

Mats
                                                          HTGuide
                                                          Mats
                                                          Mats Strömberg

Comment

• Mats
                                                            Special Member
                                                            • Jun 2000

Sorry for the block on making posts on the Forum this morning... was a little glitch due to me securing the system a bit tighter and forgott to add the same stuff on the part of the code used to make new posts to the Forum
                                                            Now it should be back in order again...

Mats
                                                            HTGuide
                                                            Mats
                                                            Mats Strömberg

Comment

• David Meek
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Aug 2000

Lex, my thread about HT Guide's Top 25 movies is gone! Did you or Mats remove it?

David - HTGuide flunky
                                                              Our "Theater"
                                                              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Aug 2000

Mats 'n Lex, we're running into some strange behavior on one of the threads. It's this one, the Top 25 Movies thread in At The Movies. It disappeared for me and others last week and now I can see it but Burke Strickland can't. He's got valid timestamps for the other threads there, but still can't see that particular thread. HELP!

David - HTGuide flunky
                                                                Our "Theater"
                                                                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Aug 2000

David can you see the FAQ thread in Club Rotel? They keep disapearing on me as well but other people can see them ok. I seem to have fixed it by going into my profile and deleting my cookie.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                                    • Sep 2001

Thanks, Andrew --

Deleting the cookie brought the "missing thread" back into view. However, that addresses a symptom, rather than resolving whatever the underlying problem is. I don't want to have to delete my cookie every time I come over to HT Guide. (Checking the "delete the cookie" option also means I have to enter my member name and password every time I post or edit a message.) Mats still has some work to do -- especially since it seems to be affecting a larger audience. The more inconvenient it is to take advantage of what is supposed to be here, the less other people are going to be willing to put up with coming to this site. (But at least I can check out the "Top 25 List" -- for now.) :>)

Burke

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Aug 2000

Hi Andrew, yes I can see the FAQ. Now, I'm experiencing something ELSE though. Every time I try to bring up any page, I get the "Cannot be displayed" screen. If I refresh once, I can see the page. Most curious. . .

David - HTGuide flunky
                                                                      Our "Theater"
                                                                      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Mats
                                                                        Special Member
                                                                        • Jun 2000

ADMIN FLIP!!!! :rofl:
                                                                        I don't get what it is you guys can't see... Is it the Sticky threads that rolls off from the top or what?

Mats
                                                                        HTGuide
                                                                        Mats
                                                                        Mats Strömberg

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                                          Moderator
                                                                          • Sep 2001
                                                                          • 3161

It seems in some situations, sticky threads "disappear" and it requires deleting the cookie to get them to reappear. However, I have found that once I have deleted the cookie, I have to re-enter my UserName and Password every time I want to post or edit a post. This is in spite of having gone back to the profile and checking "Save your Username and Password info on this computer" -- the program seems to "uncheck" it again despite my checking it every time it is offered as a choice.

If I don't fill in my UserName and Password BEFORE I type a post and click "submit" many times the edit box is empty when I go back to fill in the UserName and Password thus losing everything I had been trying to post -- VERY AGGREVATING to have to remember to type these in every time I want to post. And having to "log on" each time is just as tiresome, when supposedly we have a cookie that "remembers" these details for us. BTW -- I am currently using IE6. But this is EXACTLY what happened before when I was using Opera, so I am convinced now that it is NOT an Opera problem.

Burke

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Aug 2000
                                                                            • 8938

I'm running IE 6.0.26 and am seeing the same problems Burke is. Generally, I'll have to go in several times and select the save on computer option and update my profile before it "takes". Not a big problem in the great scheme of things, but aggravating.

David - HTGuide flunky
                                                                            Our "Theater"
                                                                            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

Working...
                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                            Search Result for "|||"