X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peter_m
    • Sep 2007

MTM lobing vs Woofer spacing

Quick question,
    if the woofer spacing affects the lobing of MTM speakers, would there be any benefit to remove a little of the tweeter flange to bring the woofers as close as possible?

How much would there be to gain in the vertical listening window?

On an existing design and without modifying the x-over, would it cause more problems then benefits to do such a modification?

Any free software out there that models the lobing effect of two woofers?

Peter
  • Martijn_H
    • Nov 2007

The closer the better! 8)

Martijn

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2006

The general rule is to get any two or more speakers that are reproducing the same signals closer than 1/2 wavelength of the maximum common frequencies. In this case, the crossover frequency or a bit higher.

Kal
      Kal Rubinson

Comment

• peter_m
        • Sep 2007

Thank you for the software and the rule of thumb... just what I needed!

Anyone know if this is a good tool for baffle diffraction: http://www.tolvan.com/edge

Peter

Comment

• Martijn_H
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by peter_m
          Thank you for the software and the rule of thumb... just what I needed!

Anyone know if this is a good tool for baffle diffraction: http://www.tolvan.com/edge

Peter
          Yes it works very well. But remember that you cannot change the wide of the baffle without changing the filter. (bafflestep)

Comment

• peter_m
            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Martijn_H
            Yes it works very well. But remember that you cannot change the wide of the baffle without changing the filter. (bafflestep)
            Thanks Martijn_H, I am aware, juts wanted to see for my self how much effect it can have. It will be interesting to see on a graph.

I know I am not a genius, someone must have considered it before me. Why hasn't anyone tried to remove material from the tweeters to accommodate closer woofers? Is it just to maintain a certain ease of building? Is it not worth the extra work?

Peter

Comment

• Dennis H
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2002

Why hasn't anyone tried to remove material from the tweeters to accommodate closer woofers? Is it just to maintain a certain ease of building?
              It has been done but it doesn't get the woofers that much closer together with most tweeters. The W-W distance with 18 cm woofer frames and a 10 cm tweeter frame would be 28 cm. Carving up the tweeter might get it down to 26 cm, hardly worth the bother.

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                • Jan 2005

Lets face it.... a couple cm doesn't make much difference. The rule is crossover as LOW as possible and keep the woofers as close together as possible. The result in even the best of circumstances is still poor. It makes more sense to me to look at other solutions if you can.

Of course I'm designing an MTM center channel next week so I'm a total hypocrite. ;-)

Comment

• Dennis H
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2002

Hey Kevin,

Sorta indirectly related to driver spacing... As I recall, you were experimenting with a Neo3 dipole tweeter both with the big faceplate and mounting it directly to a rectangular hole in the wood. Did you ever reach any conclusions?

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Dennis H
                    Hey Kevin,

Sorta indirectly related to driver spacing... As I recall, you were experimenting with a Neo3 dipole tweeter both with the big faceplate and mounting it directly to a rectangular hole in the wood. Did you ever reach any conclusions?

Yea... I concluded two 6.5" drivers on an open baffle don't cut-it (at least for bass extension/output).

I put off my dipole project until I had a good dipole bass driver. I have the DPL-10s now but have yet to schedule the time to finish the project.

After I get my CNC machine finished I'll knock out a couple and finish of the dipole project, both with the DPL-10s and the DPL-15.

Comment

• Hank
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jul 2002

Kevin, mind if I ask how you're building your CNC - kit, or from scratch? How's it going?

Comment

• Biff
                        • Jul 2006

These are lapped to get it all on the baffle, but Dennis Murphy does it a bit. I also have a pair of MTMs using NEO3s and PL18s and the NEOs are cut across the top to tighten things up. Some of the Hi-Vi tweets seem to have a three lobe pattern made for an offset overlap, too Of course, some faceplates are easy to pull and use as a rear munt and Zaphs D26 mount mod seems like a good example.

Comment

• peter_m
                          • Sep 2007

Biff, nice cabinets!

Does using the solid wood color the sound?

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Hank
                            Kevin, mind if I ask how you're building your CNC - kit, or from scratch? How's it going?
                            I'm building a kit but its a fairly cheap one. A guy on the CNC Zone named Joe kicked out a design that looked simple and fun.

I'm in the early stages of assembly so I don't have many comments yet. I'm going to have about $3K-$4K in the project including the table, hardware, software and dust collection.

I'm hoping to design some new complex shaped speakers so it was pretty much necessary for prototype work. I don't have any desire to run it as a production machine.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Kevin Haskins
                              The result in even the best of circumstances is still poor. It makes more sense to me to look at other solutions if you can.
                              Do you mean that an MTM is always a compromise? I suppose it is - but what better alternatives are out there, considering the lower distortion of two woofers?

I'm considering building an WMTMW (RS225, RS150, RS28) - do you think the compromises wouldn't be as severe if I built an WWMT (RS225, RS52, RS28)?
                              Javier Huerta

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                                • Jan 2005

What I'd like to design is a good 5.25" Coax speaker with a full sized high quality 1" dome in the middle. Have it with a flat cone so that your not getting diffraction off the tweeter and the tweeter mounted on the same plane as the midwoofer. That way you don't have it at the base of the cone, causing response issues. It would be able to crossover low in center channels 100-200Hz and give you the same off axis response no matter where you measure.

Comment

• AlanH
                                  • Jan 2008

What I'd like to design is a good 5.25" Coax speaker with a full sized high quality 1" dome in the middle. Have it with a flat cone so that your not getting diffraction off the tweeter and the tweeter mounted on the same plane as the midwoofer. That way you don't have it at the base of the cone, causing response issues. It would be able to crossover low in center channels 100-200Hz and give you the same off axis response no matter where you measure.
                                  This might be close to what you're asking for...

Of course you better have your wallet ready! It also seems wrong to buy a US-manufactured driver from a German distributor. As far as I know Thiel doesn't sell directly to the diy crowd.
                                  -Alan

There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                                    • Jan 2005

That would be the concept. They must be pretty proud of them for $1000 per driver.

Comment

• AJINFLA
                                      • Mar 2005

Geez Kevin,

I have to disagree with about everything about your desired design. The flat cone would provide no loading for the tweeters low end and no reduction in distortion where it is needed the most. Then there would be the issue of matching the directivities, not possible unless the tweeter could go way low (lower than a 1" dome), which then leads to the problem above. The tweeter mounted at the base of the horn is not what causes FR anomalies, as then every horn tweeter would suffer the same consequence. It is the discontinuities like the former attachment and surround. Also, having the drivers on the same Z plane is not much use, as it is the measured AC's that must be aligned. Then there is the delay induced by the XO itself.
                                      Then there is the surround required for a 4" cone to displace enough to go down to 100-200hz and the fact that this would be taking place around your tweeter...
                                      Take a look at the latest KEF and TAD designs for excellent coincident design. The latest Thiel is a real head scratcher. I would love to see how it measures vs it's predecessor.

cheers,

AJ
                                      Manufacturer

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by AJINFLA
                                        Geez Kevin,

I have to disagree with about everything about your desired design. The flat cone would provide no loading for the tweeters low end and no reduction in distortion where it is needed the most. Then there would be the issue of matching the directivities, not possible unless the tweeter could go way low (lower than a 1" dome), which then leads to the problem above. The tweeter mounted at the base of the horn is not what causes FR anomalies, as then every horn tweeter would suffer the same consequence. It is the discontinuities like the former attachment and surround. Also, having the drivers on the same Z plane is not much use, as it is the measured AC's that must be aligned. Then there is the delay induced by the XO itself.
                                        Then there is the surround required for a 4" cone to displace enough to go down to 100-200hz and the fact that this would be taking place around your tweeter...
                                        Take a look at the latest KEF and TAD designs for excellent coincident design. The latest Thiel is a real head scratcher. I would love to see how it measures vs it's predecessor.

cheers,

AJ
                                        Your right... we disagree. :W

Comment

• Biff
                                          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by peter_m
                                          Biff, nice cabinets!

Does using the solid wood color the sound?

No, but the gels on the backlights do - These are actually Cizek cabinets from about 79 or so, IIRC, and they are about 5/4 stock with amazing internal bracing.The Koa is beautiful wood and has about a bunch of coats of tung oil on them - that wood was d-r-y and needed some love.

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"