X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave D
    • Apr 2003

Dear HTGuide gods,

Searching the forums for "AMX" returns zero hits, and a message: "The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : amx"

Unfortunately, this makes it tough to research anything related to AMX in these forums. [And a search for Panje returns nothing either.]

Is there a way to exclude "AMX" from this rule? It is excessively relevant to these forums and really should be searchable, IMHO. For that matter, is it adviseable to employ a min-length restriction in a technical forum? I mean, doesn't it defeat many equipment searches? Just a thought.

I hope this is helpful.

Thank you!

Dave
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Dave, while I will leave the bulk of this answer to Kevin, the short answer is VBulletin is the best forum software out there, and 3 digit or even 2 digit searches are so inefficient that they are largely left out. It is possible to perhaps build an index on amx, if indeed it is a term that is that desirable to search. Not sure how much is out there on AMX truly.

Doug
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• ShaunD
      • Jan 2006

You could add a wildcard (*).

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

Ok, since I've gotten this request several times over the past few weeks, I've changed the forum settings to allow 3 letter words to be indexed. However, until I rebuild the indexes (a server and network intensive process), only new posts will have the shorter words indexed.

Tomorrow I'll look into building the indexes offline on my home PC to minimize server load, then load the affected tables back into the database, then I'll only have to index new posts since the backup was taken. To keep the database from getting too large, I'll only index the last 6 months worth of posts.

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

Update: Search index has been completely rebuilt including 3 letter words. So searches for "AMX" should work now.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"