The sub forums - And what to do with them.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 5th element
    Supreme Being Moderator
    • Sep 2009

The sub forums - And what to do with them.

Right, so it seems that a fair few of us are of the same opinion - that the sub forums could do with an overhaul.

The main issue is that, due to their separate nature, many threads end up overlooked or forgotten about. This is especially true when viewing the forums on mobile devices as the sub forums are completely hidden, whereas on a desktop you at least get to see what the top thread in the forums are.

Having the sub forums makes a lot of sense from some points of view, the main one being that like groups of information are kept together and aren't necessarily lost over time, as they would otherwise be if left in the main forums. The second one being that those groups are kept easily accessible and obvious.

In theory this works, in practice all that really happens is that people ignore or forget about some of the sub forums so that there's far less traffic present within them. This isn't exactly what we want to promote here in Mission Possible, which is an overall increase in activity, either through lurkers, or active participants.

This brings up the big question - what do we do with the sub forums?

I feel like we need to have certain bits of information easily accessible, meaning you can get what you want, or know is there, without having to trawl through pages and pages of the main forums. This is what I like about the Drivers Wanted sub forums, because it keeps a lot of the third party measurements in one place. If we simply merged all the threads from DW into MP we'd end up losing the main benefit of the sub forum, so how do we proceed?

One idea I had was to use sticky threads. Drivers Wanted has two basic type of thread, those that are purely theoretical and discuss new drivers on the block or those that contain technical and objective measured data. My idea was to create two sticky threads in Mission Possible, one for driver discussions, such as the Interesting Scandinavian Drivers thread and then another one that focuses mainly on third party measurements.

The same could then be done for the FAQs forum and Loudspeaker Design forums. From my point of view those forums should contain a body of information that would be useful to new comers, providing links and guides to those wanting to get started and this could be another sticky. Any other kind of discussion would be fine in Mission Possible.

This leaves us with the Mission Accomplished forum, which is probably fine left where it is.

If you have any other ideas on how we could handle this in a decent way then us mods would love to hear from you, so don't hold back, after all these forums are basically for you lot, the users!
    What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
    5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
    Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

Welcome to the thankless job of being a Supreme Being Moderator! :T

I think the sub "Drivers Wanted" (terrible name) and "Loudspeaker Theory" forums need to go for the reasons you mentioned. The Topics are just not different enough to warrent keeping separate. The subforums hide threads and divides up traffic. I know I miss good threads in the subforums as I rarely go there.

I think the FAQ forum could be merged all into one sticky.

I think the spirit of the Drivers Wanted forum could be maintained with a Roadmap or Index Thread. Similar to the Guide to Speakers thread - though I can't seem to get designers to fill out the form so I can add it to the beginning.

I think the Mission Accomplished should stay, but that doesn't seem to follow the above logic. Oops.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Face
      • Mar 2007

Whoever initiated the sub forums should be demoted.
      SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

That was ThomasW. He did it in response to some specific problems at the time. I wouldn't say they were a mistake. But, they've run their course and the problems are no longer here.
        - Ryan

Comment

• 5th element
          Supreme Being Moderator
          • Sep 2009

OK. The first thing I am going to do (if it's possible) is start moving some of the threads from the sub forums, that really belong in the main forums, into the main forums. This should be fairly easy and will help with whatever we want to do with whatever is left.
          What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

Unsticky http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...to-Bill-Maher-) and let it gracefully go.
            - Ryan

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

I should be thinking more about this in the near future, but as I explained to Matt last week, it's serious crunch time on this year plus project at vendor- I worked last weekend, and this coming week SHOULD actually wrap up the development work on this project.

OTOH, we're hearing after pushing our management that we may not be off the hook for a while from showing up here every day for the duration. But there shouldn't be any more weekend stuff.

So, I'll see if I can come up with any ideas- I like the direction Matt is heading with this- if there was more traffic and discussion on some topics, the sub forum setup would work OK- but their isn't. Things like the Loudspeaker theory section would be good if we had more non-applied discussion about things like crossover design, bass alignment theory and practice, etc. apart from implementing something in a specific system. But most of us are more interested in a specific build rather than lofty theoretical discussions... nothing wrong with that, and frankly, one often learns more that way... I find that I am.
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• 5th element
                Supreme Being Moderator
                • Sep 2009

Okay. The FAQs thread has been preserved by Ryan and I've moved and archived various threads from the drivers wanted and loudspeaker design sub forums. Now all that's left is to delete the sub forums. I will contact another mod, with higher access, to sort this out in the next few days, but will leave it for now, just in case someone noticed something that's amiss.

Comment

• 5th element
                  Supreme Being Moderator
                  • Sep 2009

Right. It's done! Threads moved, sticky threads made and the extra sub forums have now been deleted

Comment

• ---k---
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2005

Thanks for the good work. :T

Probably more an issue for Jon, but the Sticky Thread: "Download link for Jon's speaker design article" http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...design-article The download link is dead. Jon needs to find a new home for the pdf.

I think this link could also just go in the FAQ thread. I don't think it needs it own sticky.

But, I have OCD with an aversion to clutter created by other people (my own clutter is ok).
                    - Ryan

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"