X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clive
    Former Moderator
    • Jan 2002

A "NEWBIE" Forum?

Although we encourage all new members and lurkers, to post no matter what, I sometimes get a sense that there are people (maybe with smaller setups) who may feel a little intimidated to ask simple questions and/or gather advice on equipment they currently have.

This could work as a "kick Start" for those extremely new members to the HT world where no question is a stupid question sort-of-a-thing.

THOUGHTS?
    Last edited by Clive; 05 April 2005, 22:23 Tuesday.
    CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Not a bad idea really. The only thing I worry about there is people getting confused as to what's a noob question and what belongs in the more advanced area's...still its worth looking into.

Comment

• Bent
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2003

I don't think there is any reason for anyone to be intimidated (not that I'm disagreeing wit you, Clive), it prolly is/can be intimidating for some.

As long as everybody understands whey we are all here - enjoying ours and others' home theaters and a place to meet with those involved.

Comment

• Uncle Clive
        Former Moderator
        • Jan 2002

Thanks Bent and Andrew.

It is for that reason "why we are here" what prompted me to write this, along with the fact that I've seen where alot of new member threads started with an apology for being stupid or something like that. You may agree that at times the level of discussions can intimidating. :?? I often wonder how long did it take for them post!

I just thought I'd suggest/request a place where such member could feel more confortable.
        Last edited by Clive; 05 April 2005, 18:21 Tuesday.
        CLIVE

Comment

• Bent
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2003

That's a tough one - sorta like the first visit to the gym...
          A 'newb area could be ok, and I want to stress that nobody should ever appologize for wanting to learn/improve.
          Lets see what everyone has to say - this might be interesting.

Comment

• Patt
            • Feb 2005

Might be a helpful place to start for someone just breaking into this arena....sort of a safe zone. One of my first visits here I stumbled upon a locked thread that had mega dollar systems and was beginning to wonder how many zillionaire guys were around. :E Clive hit the nail on the head about length of time before posting.

Also agree w/bent.....

If you guys try it is there something other than the word 'newbie' to use? A lot of other places use that word....I dunno...be creative like the you did with the rest of the place. Maybe at the top in bold for those not really sure where to start.....:idea:
            ......Pat

Comment

• Uncle Clive
              Former Moderator
              • Jan 2002

Originally posted by Bent

That's a tough one - sorta like the first visit to the gym....
              You're right on the money!

Pat, very good points. Finding another NAME well..................you're gonna have to help out 8O
              CLIVE

Comment

• Glen B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jul 2004

How about "Starting Block" or "The Starting Block" as a possible forum name ?

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

well, it is an interesting concept and worthy of consideration. I can see points on both sides of the fence here.

I see possible names as "Getting Started", "Newbie Avenue" maybe. Glen's name could work to.

But again, we start and stop forums only after much consideration here now.

Lex
                  Doug
                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                    Former Moderator
                    • Jan 2002

Interesting points and suggestions :T I began to think this morning about the registered population on this forum to date versus those out there who would like a place to start..........it could grow and then again................
                    CLIVE

Comment

• Kevin P
                      • Aug 2000

You'd have to pick a name for the forum, and recruit moderator(s), people who are willing and able to help the "newbies" out with their questions and keep the forum running smoothly.

Comment

• Patt
                        • Feb 2005

I've been through many pages of the Thesaurus and thought about every electrical component I could think of. I like The Starting Block.

mmmmm, Didnt realize someone would be chosen as a moderator, I thought the moderators just looked over everything everywhere that was posted. Causing an overload might not be a good thing either.
                        ......Pat

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                          Former Moderator
                          • Jan 2002

I don't think there'd be any shortage of people ready to answer questions or offer caution/guidance based on our own experiences (Remember the good old days huh?) to the new HT enthusiats.

Of course, Lex will have the final say on this after a few more members chine in.

Good Call PAT. Keep working on that dictionary will ya? :frypan:
                          CLIVE

Comment

• David Meek
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

I think it's a great idea Clive. :T I can't think of another forum that has anything like it. It might work into being quite a "hook" for HTG.

Here's another suggestion for a name - First Steps - although The Starting Block is good, too.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                              Former Moderator
                              • Jan 2002

Thanks David, We have a lot of other things going for us so why not. Of course I can see threads getting moved to other forums on the Guide, but all you able Mods will know what's appropriate. Would be a great invitation to a new breed of enthusiats. :yesnod: Plain talk, plain language.
                              CLIVE

Comment

• Patt
                                • Feb 2005

As David said "hook"......Might just draw in a more of a crowd and as usual the more the merrier.
                                ......Pat

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                                  Former Moderator
                                  • Jan 2002

As you now know Lex and Kevin as launched the "The Starting Block" Forum and has consequently punished me for it :rofl: :rofl:

As I'll try to do my best with this assignment I must ask for all your support.

In advance....
                                  CLIVE

Comment

• Patt
                                    • Feb 2005

What a pleasant suprise.....so does Glen get a prize for picking the name? (just kidding) of course.
                                    ......Pat

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"