X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff
    • Dec 2004

all member should provide a gereral location

Hello, after review many posts over the past couple months, one item remains frusterating. People discuss many issues where your location
    in the world is important. We have so many post which discuss price,
    available discounts on new and demo stock, availability of product, etc.
    When members do not disclose their location, you cannot give their post
    any consideration as they may be located on a different continent! It's as if their post was a waste of time.

One of the great things about this site is you can discuss you passion with people of the same interest all over the world. But to have a more productive post and discussion, location is sometime essential.

I would like to recommend the location field of all members addresses require at least the country of where they're from. If they would like to provide more, great!

Thanks for your consideration. Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff; 03 February 2005, 22:05 Thursday.
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

I would agree with that Jeff. I think a state or country would be good. As soon as Kevin is more available, we will take a look to see if the software allows it.

thanks,
    Doug
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Jeff makes a good point. I'd like to see his suggestion put into effect as well.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

I can set the field to be required, but I can't enforce the contents. People could still put in "Earth" or "home" or something equally useless.

If you'd like me to, I can set it to required in a matter of seconds. I can also make it appear at registration time but not required (it isn't set to this at present).

I did add to the description of the field: "Please fill in a country at the very least, so we know where you're from"

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

I agree, depending on where you live different brands of speakers etc are sometimes not even available or might be cost prohibitive and as such a waste to recommend. There's been quite a few times someone's requested suggestions on speakers or recievers etc and depending on if they're in Canada, US, Europe or Asia etc it can make a big difference on what to recommend. You'll likely get a better price on UK speakers in the UK and Canadian speakers in Canada etc.
          Jason

Comment

• Foxman
            • Jan 2003

Some people just simply don't trust that info to be released. I can see the point of the concern and I will change mine to be more accurate although I really liked what mine said "oz" as in not in Kansas any more, but no one gets that.
            IMO

My Movies
            Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• Jeff
              • Dec 2004

Kevin, to prevent a usless entry, a drop down list of all/most known countries could be done. This this similar to some mfr's sites I've visited. I'm not sure of the man hours needed to accomplish this. Assuming this web site will be around for some time to come, perhaps the extra time would be worth it.

Could a friendly "update your location field" email be sent to all current members once the update was in place? You could even referrence this tread so they would have a better understanding of the request.

Thanks!

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Good call, dude...
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

I could get you a list of countries pretty easily if required.

Comment

• Kevin P
                    • Aug 2000

To add a drop down list would require some custom coding. With my present circumstances I wouldn't have time to do this for some time.

UPDATE: I was just looking, there may be a way to do a drop down list in a user profile field already. Let me play around on my test box and see how it works...

UPDATE 2: Yes, I can do a profile field with a drop down list. I'd need a complete list of countries in order to set it up. There are a zillion countries out there, maybe it could be broken down into continent/region (e.g. Middle East instead of the many countries that make up that region).

Doug, please respond with your thoughts on this before we proceed.

Comment

• bimmer528
                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Kevin P
                      To add a drop down list would require some custom coding. With my present circumstances I wouldn't have time to do this for some time.

UPDATE: I was just looking, there may be a way to do a drop down list in a user profile field already. Let me play around on my test box and see how it works...

UPDATE 2: Yes, I can do a profile field with a drop down list. I'd need a complete list of countries in order to set it up. There are a zillion countries out there, maybe it could be broken down into continent/region (e.g. Middle East instead of the many countries that make up that region).

Doug, please respond with your thoughts on this before we proceed.
                      If you wouldn't mind, you can also do a drop down for the 50 state's and make that manditory so it will narrow it down to the state at least :P

Have the script check the drop down.

51 variables
                      -50 states
                      -default set to "Select State"

Forum check

if ($statedropdownfield == "Select State") {

echo something

} else {

insert mysql statement

}

something along those lines.

Edit- If you really want to make it simple. Add the drop down's and change the required fields menu color's to red letting the user's know

"Red fields are Required for registration"

Even though u don't have a registration check code. The user wont know that and will probally enter the right info so that he doesn't get an error on registration :P

Comment

• posix
                        • Feb 2005

- It's as if their post was a waste of time. -
                        Time is of no concern to us. Stop living fast. Slow down. Chill out.

It is completely irrelevant where someone comes from. If they ask a highly localised question and don't provide their location simply choose not to answer it. Anyone with a grain of salt for brains would provide their detailed location information when enquiring about pricing, for example. Why am I even discussing this?

Comment

• Jeff
                          • Dec 2004

Hey guys, I was just looking at a public profile of a new member and was hoping to determine what hemisphere they were in. Was this idea dropped?

Thanks, Jeff

Comment

• Patt
                            • Feb 2005

I wonder how many times I've made a recomendation to "go to your local Home Depot" for something.
                            Heck, I bet some people around the world never heard of it and dont have a clue as to what I'm talking about.

If I knew they lived on Mars or wherever I would try a different approach.
                            ......Pat

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Oct 2003

Hi,

How about - Country as mandatory (drop down list) and State and City as optional free form. That way people could add more if they liked. For those that really wanted privacy we could have a "Anonymous" Country option (and we could ingore them for posts then )

Geoff

Comment

• Lex
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Apr 2001

Actually Posix, it is not completely irrelevent, as Administrator and owner, I know a bit more about this. There are frequent discussions where a point of reference is good, and the just don't answer approach isn't of real value to a forum where helping is what we do.
                                Doug
                                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"