Flattest frequency response possible <> musical enjoyment. Discuss?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fjhuerta
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2006

Flattest frequency response possible <> musical enjoyment. Discuss?

Hi all!

Lately, I've been listening a lot to my latest project: a 3 way with 2 RS270's, 2 W4-1335's and an SB29.

Basically, every Classic Records DAD disc blows me out of my seat. "I Robot", by The Alan Parsons Project, for example, sounds the way I imagined it could sound - incredible. Everything sounds correct. Likewise, say, Monica Mancini's tribute to her father (in SACD), "Eye in the Sky" (DVD-A), Santana's MFSL releases, The Eagles' "Hotel California" by DCC...

Which is to say - most of my audiophile discs sound perfectly well.

But then, I decided to play the "Like Omygod" 80's box by Rhino, and things weren't so nice. The recordings sound thin and shrill - no real bass to speak of, and there are too many highs.

Most of my 80's discs sound pretty much the same.

Anyway, I played back those same discs on my 7.1 system (which has an el Cheapo Yamaha receiver, DVD-A / SACD combo player and Energy C-7, CC1, C1 and C3 speakers, plus a DIY Tempest 15" sealed sub). I used the "Pure Direct" mode (plain old stereo, no processing).

While not audiophile sounding in any way, they were pretty listenable. Thin? Yeah, but not shrill. They just lacked a bit of bass.

Now, I've been thinking a bit on this. I also like headphones, and I have a set of Grado RS-2's, SR125's, and a couple of Sennheisers (my favorite is the HD-600).

Click image for larger version

Name:	HeadphoneGIF.gif
Views:	1349
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	870509

Is this what is commonly called a "House Curve"? I don't know, but most music sounds awesome through both of them. I'd rather listen to the Sennheisers, BTW, but the Grados are OK too.

Now, I found this graph for the Energy C-5 and C-3, which are pretty similar to the C-7's I listened to.

C-5 (the second trace from top to bottom is the 0° response, the top one is the summed one: 0°, 15°, 30°, 45°)

Name:	energy-c-5-fr.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	948440

C-3:

Name:	frequency_on1530.gif
Views:	13
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	948441

This is my speakers' response. I lowered the treble level by 1.5 dBs (from 3,000 Hz on up) because they were just too aggressive.

Pretty flat when compared to the headphones and the Energy's response.

Now, I know you can't compare a headphone FR to a speaker one, but I see a pattern. Most speakers "tilt down" apparently the frequency response. And they work pretty fine for most recordings. From my own personal experience, a speaker with the flattest 0° & power response sounds better balanced, but only on audiophile recordings. Pop and rock sounds pretty weak.

That's my opinion, of course, and the thing I'd like to discuss. I know John Krutke's think that the tonal balance should depend on the harmonic distortion of the drivers, with low distortion ones benefiting the most from a flat frequency response. I know that designers like Troels Gravesen use a decreasing slope on their speakers.

But - I'm starting to believe that speaker design should also consider the type of music you listen to and personal preference (as if the room they are playing in, the drivers they are using and other factors weren't enough!). The fact is - most recording engineers (and some mastering ones) have their own style, and no speaker can take into consideration every one of them.

And, the way I see it, a speaker with a "tilted down" response has a better chance of sounding at least OK with badly mastered material, while sounding good with audiophile recordings.

Flat is closest to perfect, but perfect isn't good all of the time, IMHO.

Opinions? I'd surely love to hear them...
    Last edited by theSven; 20 August 2023, 21:38 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
    Javier Huerta
  • Jim85IROC
    • Jan 2005

it's hard to say, because there's no standard that badly mastered albums conform to either. Their unpleasant sound could be the result of almost anything, and almost any frequency. My general preference for bad sounding recordings is a speaker with a bbc dip, or at least a null in the 2-4k range. This is where I tend to find the most "fatiguing" type of sounds, perhaps because it's right in the range where one or more drivers is exhibiting higher amounts of distortion, perhaps due to woofer breakup or a tweeter that's playing lower than it should. I also find that some "boom & tizz" helps make bland recordings sound more exciting, so that's another plus for the BBC dip in my eyes, at least when discussing bad recordings.

Comment

• AdelaaR
      • Dec 2010

fjhuerta, it is a known fact that most speakers give more bass to sound more pleasant to most people for most pop music.

My opinion: a good speaker should be as flat as possible by definition ... if you like more bass in some recordings ... that's what the control knobs on your amp are for

Comment

• BigguyZ
        • Jan 2009

Garbage in, garbage out. I think a lot of people have noted that more accurate speakers really show the flaws in the recordings. Those MP3s you downloaded in college will not sounds as awesome as you remember them sounding on your Logitech PC speakers....

Comment

• fjhuerta
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2006

Yeah.. GIGO... but there must be a way to design a speaker that sounds pleasant and correct in equal measures... flat makes for a correct speaker, but it doesn't always sound pleasant.

I wish my pre had tone controls now
          Javier Huerta

Comment

• Johnloudb
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2007

Maybe you could start another project. Here is a nice paper on tone controls. Check out the tilt control near the end. It will tilt the response downward or upward.

Last edited by theSven; 20 August 2023, 21:39 Sunday. Reason: Update url
            John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• sfdoddsy
              • Sep 2000

A lot of people (including myself) aim for a downward sloping in-room response.

There was a recent Harman study which suggested a 10db drop from 20Hz to 20K was ideal.
              Steve's OB Journey

Comment

• BOBinGA
                • Mar 2009

I've always thought that most popular music is mixed and mastered on speakers that have a 3 to 5 db down tilt in their response, much like the C-5 graph. (You recording engineers out there, tell me if I'm right or wrong here.) Those type of monitoring speakers are then used to make a recording sound "flat". When you then play that recording back on speakers that are truely flat, you are in essence turning down the bass by 3 to 5 db and the recording sounds thin or too bright.

So this makes for a hard choice in speaker design. You either build a speaker that has a bump up in the bass to match most popular recording or you build a flat speaker to sound good on accurately mixed and mastered recordings. Pick your poison. I tend to like a compromise - about a two db downslope.

-Bob
                -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
                My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
                The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

• fjhuerta
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2006

Originally posted by sfdoddsy
                  A lot of people (including myself) aim for a downward sloping in-room response.

There was a recent Harman study which suggested a 10db drop from 20Hz to 20K was ideal.
                  I'd definitely love to know about that study... there are too many variables, IMHO, that conspire against the "flat measuring speakers are the best!" theory of design...
                  Javier Huerta

Comment

• fbov
                    • Jun 2008

Javier, et al,
                    Please be a bit more precise in your language. FR is not FR is not FR unless you know what's being measured. I've read Toole's book and a bunch of Olive's subsequent research at Haman and everything points the highest sound preference from:
                    - on-axis FR flat
                    - listening window FR (+/-15*) also flat
                    - early reflected FR (+/- 45*?) downward sloping
                    - late reflected (aka room power response, +/- 180*) downward sloping.
                    - directivity (power minus on-axis) smooth with upward tilt.

Therefore, unless we know the angular integration range, it's hard to say what your design goal should be. In my limited experience, Toole's recommendations sounds very good; I have fairly flat FR on-axis (close-mic'ed) and downward tilted (when ungated) at my listening position.

Have fun,
                    Frank

Comment

• Paul W
                      • Oct 2004

The preferred curve in this study shows about a 7db straight-line tilt between 100Hz and 10k. I'm currently using about a 6db tilt in the same range, which is about the same response I usually end up with.

(Bob, this is very different from what you heard a few weeks ago. The curve you heard then was much flatter...and it sounded harsh on too many recordings.)

One of the Harmon studies: Document not available
                      Last edited by theSven; 20 August 2023, 21:41 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken link
                      Paul

Comment

• AdelaaR
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by fjhuerta
                        I'd definitely love to know about that study... there are too many variables, IMHO, that conspire against the "flat measuring speakers are the best!" theory of design...
                        A speaker is by definition a reproduction instrument and so it should, by definition, have a flat response and no colouration.
                        The fact that all kinds of source material is badly produced has no implication on what a speaker should be.
                        Most people like coloured and boomy speakers but that doesn't mean that most people are correct. A speaker should only reproduce, nothing more.
                        It ain't hard to simply turn your bass knob over a bit when listening to rock or electro and turning it back to normal when listening to jazz or classical, but it's harder to get a coloured boomy speaker to sound true and flat

Comment

• fjhuerta
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Paul W
                          The preferred curve in this study shows about a 7db straight-line tilt between 100Hz and 10k. I'm currently using about a 6db tilt in the same range, which is about the same response I usually end up with.

(Bob, this is very different from what you heard a few weeks ago. The curve you heard then was much flatter...and it sounded harsh on too many recordings.)

One of the Harmon studies: Document not available

That's AWESOME! I remembered that study but had no clue as to where to find it.. thanks!

And yep, now I know what to do. Squeezebox + InguzDSP = any in-room target curve I want. I'm going to "dial in" the preferred listening curve and measure it with TrueRTA. That's easier than re-doing the speaker!
                          Last edited by theSven; 20 August 2023, 21:42 Sunday. Reason: Update quote
                          Javier Huerta

Comment

• fjhuerta
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by AdelaaR
                            A speaker is by definition a reproduction instrument and so it should, by definition, have a flat response and no colouration.
                            The fact that all kinds of source material is badly produced has no implication on what a speaker should be.
                            That's a pragmatic view, and the one I'd like the most, because it sets a reference for everyone to follow...

But I just have to try dialing in the preferred curve of the Harman study...
                            Javier Huerta

Comment

• AdelaaR
                              • Dec 2010

I advise to dial in whatever you like best man

Comment

• Silver1omo
                                • Sep 2010

I advise to dial in whatever you like best man
                                +1 I think a good system (pre/amp/speaker/etc) should be able to reproduce the source faithfully and allow you to "dial in" your own preference. Not only because some record mastering is horrible, all ears and individual preferences are different.
                                Ivan.
                                My Statement monitors

Comment

• AdelaaR
                                  • Dec 2010

True. Everybody hears differently.
                                  I for one am very sensitive to high frequencies ... I hate it when people scratch on plates with cuttlery for instance and it truly hurts my ears.
                                  That's why I turn the treble slightly down on most amps especially the one in my car where the tweeters are in the dashboard which is closer to my ears than the woofers in the doors.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jun 2006

True. Everybody hears differently.
                                    I for one am very sensitive to high frequencies ... I hate it when people scratch on plates with cuttlery for instance and it truly hurts my ears.
                                    That's why I turn the treble slightly down on most amps especially the one in my car where the tweeters are in the dashboard which is closer to my ears than the woofers in the doors.
                                    Yeah. I found out I was pretty sensitive to the midrange. I could never like a pair of MartinLogan Scenario speakers because of that. It took me years to understand what was what I didn't enjoy...
                                    Javier Huerta

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"