X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shane Martin
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

Hellboy

I came into this movie with LOW expectations and came out very pleased. Outstanding DVD(picture and sound were off the hook). The CGI wasn't even distracting either.

It was better than Hulk which i thought was pretty average.

Still it's quite good. The Directors cut comes out in November. I think I'll pick that up :yesnod:

7.5 out of 10. The DVD gets a 10 out of 10 for PQ and SQ.
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I went in with fairly high expectations and wasn't as pleased as you. I'm a big fan of Ron Perlman's and was hoping this would be the breakout movie for him. Technically it was well done with the PQ and SQ both holding up well, but the story seemed forced and choppy which could be due to the fact that I never followed the Hellboy comics. CGI wasn't bad either. Overall, I'd put it about middle-of-the-pack for the comic-based movies. :25: out of :5:

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Like Shane, I approached this with some trepidation, but was pleasantly surprised. Story line was just so-so, but what intrigued me was how well the director and actor ( Perlman) brought Hellboy to life. It isn't an easy task making something of supernatural origin believable. I decided to buy this one and was glad I did. There wasn't a boring moment from the getgo. And the lowend will rock your walls, believe me.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Agreed I had fairly low expectations so for me it was a pleasant surprise. PQ was good and the SQ (esp LFE) was very very deep :yesnod:

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

LFE was very very deep

Yeah, with the Prattquake sub up front and my BA sub in the rear, this was one of those movies where I have to check my foundation walls for cracks after the movie is over.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Preacherman
            • Jan 2004

I thought they did a good job of bringing Hellboy to the screen. Although the story held up fairly well and was never dull; it did feel kind of pushed. I am sure they are working on Hellboy2 and I hope at that time they delve more into him.

:35: of :5:
            Bruce

Individuality - Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I'm pretty sure HellBoy 2 is in the works

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Yep, HB2 is working even as we speak (type?), albeit only in the scripting stage. It's slated for a 2006 release with both Guillermo del Toro (director) and Ron Perlman (Hellboy) returning.

Comment

• Shane Martin
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Apr 2001

Perlman nailed the role. I had forgotten where I had seen him last and a friend told me Alien Resurrection and indeed he was in there as a main character.

Comment

• DSGCobra
                    • Feb 2003

This movie proved to me that I need a new sub. Overall I thought it was good, I had no expectations and heard very little about it.

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Shane
                      Perlman nailed the role. I had forgotten where I had seen him last and a friend told me Alien Resurrection and indeed he was in there as a main character.
                      Yeah, he's been in a number of films. Here's a few I recall him in:

Star Trek: Nemesis
                      Enemy At The Gates
                      Alien Resurrection
                      Blade II
                      The Island Of Dr. Moreau
                      Beauty And The Beast
                      (TV series)

Comment

• John Holmes
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

I enjoyed it. Never read the comic but, I like what they did with the movie. I thought they could have let Ron Perlman run a little more with his character but, not bad at all.
                        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Feb 2002

With some high quality comic book stories out there this one has much to prove. Did it do all that?....not quite.....but, it didn't do too bad.

I'd say the ground work has been laid. Maybe with the origin out of the way they can run with a little more continuity. There's a lot of subplots that they tried to throw out there out which brought a slightly choppy feel to the whole thing but overall, a good premise. HB2 has a lot of potential. Looking forward to the next one...

:35: / :5:
                          Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

Watched this one yesterday. (The Director's Cut)

I have to say I also went in to this not expecting much and was pleasantly surprised. As mentioned the story's a tiny bit choppy at times but overall was pretty good. I never found myself disinterested anyways If I had to compare it to anything I'd say Indiana Jones meets X-Men :lol:

SQ and PQ are top notch, reference grade :T

:35: out of :5:
                            Jason

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"