X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

THE LAST SAMURAI is a beautiful film

I know there are many action film fans, and Tom Cruise fans as well here at The Guide, and I'm also certain that many of you have already seen this terrific film in the theater so I won't go into great detail on the storyline.

Basically it's about a battle-weary, and mentally disturbed, American Civil War army Captain who goes to Japan in 1875 as an advisor to the government in its struggle with a group of Samurai rebels led by Ken Wantanabe ( Katsumoto). After cruise is captured, Katsumoto is intrigued by the American's fierce courage and stubborn refusal to accept defeat. Cruise, in turn, becomes fascinated by the Samurai way of living and finds himself attracted to their cause and to the widow of a Samurai warrior he had killed.

Bows and arrows and Samurai sword doesn't seem like it has much of a chance against bullets, cannons and rapid-fire ack-ack guns. Thus the battle scenes are something to behold, as is the courage and fierce fighting ability of the Samurai warrior. This is not a wall to wall action film, but when the fighting is up there on screen, I found myself gripping the arms of my chair from the scary reality of it all.

This is a beautiful films in many ways. It was directed by Edward Zwick who did an excellent job in capturing an important moment in time-- the birth of a modern Japan and the vanishing, traditional way of life known as the Samurai. The story and acting ability of everyone involved is of the highest calibre and you find yourself completely absorbed by not only the story and characters, but by the scenery and atmosphere of this time in history. It is a film that stays with you long after the credits have rolled.

PQ and audio are both as real as it gets. If you are a collector you will want this in your collection.

:5:
    My Homepage!
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

George, I couldn't have said it better. I too give The Last Samurai :5:.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Thanks, Tex. I also feel that this is a film that shows a great deal of maturity in Cruise's acting ability. Can an Oscar be far off ?
      Last edited by George Bellefontaine; 10 May 2004, 10:27 Monday.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Dean McManis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • May 2003

Thanks for the reviews guys. I'm going to add this one to my rental queue.

-Dean.

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Another one for my short list :T (I think you guys are trying to make me poor...lol)

Jason
          Jason

Comment

• Bam!
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2004

Duders,

Watched this one last night. It's funny how war was done in the olden days!....Pure suicide. Pure.

good movie though.....probably one that I should buy....

:T
            Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Alibaba
              • May 2004

I loved it too!!

:T :T

I saw this film when it came to the theaters....just loved it

Just picked up a copy the other day to add to my collection.

I love the scene when the Japanese army stood waiting for the Samurai to arrive. It sent shivers up my spine when the Samurai arrived on their horses riding thru the fog in that dark forest with their scary :W armour and katana swords.

Al

Comment

• Danbry39
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Sep 2002

My thinks you pushed the new thread, rather than the reply button, but you must be talking about Tom Cruises movie. Have to say that your comments along with the others who have seen this film have made me not only want to see it, but kind of tempted to buy it as a blind purchase.

By the way, good to have you aboard and hope you keep on posting.
                Keith

Comment

• Kevin P
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Danbry39
                  My thinks you pushed the new thread, rather than the reply button, but you must be talking about Tom Cruises movie...
                  I merged the accidental new thread into this one, so all is well now.

Alibaba, welcome to HTGuide, and hope you enjoy your stay!

KJP

P.S. Dang, after reading this I have another movie to rent...

Comment

• Alibaba
                    • May 2004

Thanks

I just happened to stumble into this site....just love it! There is such a wealth of great information on this site...will be very helpful in making some decisions with respect to builidng my home theater.

Thanks again for your warm welcome

Al

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Hi Al, welcome to The Guide! :later: Sit back, get comfy and hang with us.

Yeah, there are some georgeous shots in The Last Samurai aren't there?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Shane Martin
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Apr 2001

I bought the movie blind and I'm glad I did however there were some weak parts.

The ending sucked IMHO. They went Hollywood on us and shouldn't have. Other than that and the weak cinematrography which I thought could have been better, I loved the movie. The score was awesome.
                        The Audio was pretty good. I thought they could have amped it up a bit on the cannon shots.
                        The video was good but not top notch. It's probably the cinematographers fault and not the dvd.

Overall a worthwhile addition to the growing dvd collection.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2001

Hi, Shane, I agree with you about the ending. I would rather they had left it with the viewers not really knowing. They were sorta leading up to that, then they suddenly went Hollywood. That's about the only thing in this film that bothered me. Everything else was beautiful.
                          My Homepage!

Comment

• Bam!
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Shane Martin
                            I bought the movie blind and I'm glad I did however there were some weak parts.

The ending sucked IMHO. They went Hollywood on us and shouldn't have. Other than that and the weak cinematrography which I thought could have been better, I loved the movie. The score was awesome.
                            The Audio was pretty good. I thought they could have amped it up a bit on the cannon shots.
                            The video was good but not top notch. It's probably the cinematographers fault and not the dvd.

Overall a worthwhile addition to the growing dvd collection.

Shane I agree....100% but the whole movie has a glimps of Hollywood in it through out so the ending was inevetable...IMO....It is a good movie....NoT GREAT....but good.

You are also right about the picture quality....but you know if this is 1890's it should have looked even more fad to get you into it no ?

Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Shane Martin
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Apr 2001

You are also right about the picture quality....but you know if this is 1890's it should have looked even more fad to get you into it no ?
                              My issue is that some of the shots looked soft and shouldn't have been IMHO.
                              IMO....It is a good movie....NoT GREAT....but good.
                              This about sums it up for me.

Comment

• John Holmes
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

I enjoyed this film. Which was a suprise. I saw the trailer for it and just couldn't get pass Cruise being a Samurai. After seing the film, I'm glad to say, he did a solid job in the role. Just goes to show about a books cover.
                                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Preacherman
                                  • Jan 2004

I just watched this and was completely surprised...What an all around good movie. Not a Cruise fan, however, really enjoyed this. :T
                                  Bruce

Individuality - Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Comment

• aud19
                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2003

Ditto, just watched it last weekend and wasn't expecting much but definitely not half bad and gorgeously filmed :T

Jason
                                    Jason

Comment

• Dr C
                                      • Feb 2003

Just watched the DVD today and agreed with you guys that this is a good movie. This is to Asians what the "Open Range" western is to you folks in the Wild West

The concept of honour + family is something that cuts close to the Asian viewer. I'm surprised that the director managed to get quite a realistic take on this in this movie.

To put things in perspective, the warrior code - Bushido - has been romanticised in this film but some WW2 officers abused this noble concept and committed many atrocities but I will not go down that route ...

A bit of trivia ... I was told that the highest sacrifice a Japanese warrior could do is to commit seppuku (not hara kiri as is commonly called) and that's why they carry 2 swords - 1 to kill people and a shorter one for close combat and self sacrifice. When the warrior commits seppuku, sometimes another warrior present. This is bacause the 1st act of disembowelling oneself takes a lot of courage due to the pain, fear etc and once the warrior has demonstrated that he is willing to kill himself (by plunging the sword in his belly and slashing sideways), the other warrior beheads him to give him a quick death and not cause any more agony ...

Comment

• John Holmes
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Thanks for the insight Dr C.

I think it is amazing how many people counted this film out (I was one) because of it's trailers. Then after viewing, find it to be a much better film than it's previews lead us to believe.
                                        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jan 2001

You know, John, I was one of those doubters about this film. Even when I bought the dvd I was wondering if I made a mistake. But now I am looking forward to watching it a second time.
                                          My Homepage!

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                            • Jan 2002

You know I really didn't want to watch this film but I guess you all are just gonna twist my arm.

Comment

• Preacherman
                                              • Jan 2004

the other warrior beheads him to give him a quick death and not cause any more agony ...
                                              It is also to keep him from dishonoring himself by crying out.

And Sonnie, you really should see it. I had the rental for a week before watching it and now I will definitely purchase this one
                                              Bruce

Individuality - Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Comment

• NMyTree
                                                • May 2004

Originally posted by Dr C
                                                the other warrior beheads him to give him a quick death and not cause any more agony ...
                                                How wonderful it would be if Melissa Rivers, would spare us any further agony, and take out her mother...Joan Rivers...in the same manner? :rofl:

But, who would take out Melissa? :B

Ahhh......nothing's easy.

But yeah, the little woman and myself, both, really loved this movie!!!

Mr. Cruise turned in a fine performance. And yes, it did seem like some growth as an actor.
                                                Last edited by NMyTree; 13 July 2004, 15:06 Tuesday.
                                                Tony

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"