X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Yet another Cruise cut short

This time by fire. A cruise from Baltimore, to the Bahamas, was cut short, when a fire broke out at near 3:00 AM. Passengers were routed to the top deck with life jackets, life boats were lowered, but nobody was ever offloaded off the ship. The ship was redirected to Freemont, I think it said, from it's regularly scheduled destination. Cruise canceled, people sent back with refund, and a deal on a future cruise...

more info here:

Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

To be fair it was Royal Caribbean's Grandeur of the Seas that was affected.

Carnival has no stake in Royal Carribbean.

...the world's second-largest cruise line operator, after Carnival Corporation & plc. As of March 2009, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. fully owns five cruise lines: Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Pullmantur Cruises, Azamara Club Cruises and CDF Croisières de France, plus has a 50% stake in TUI Cruises.[2][3] Previously Royal Caribbean Cruises also owned 50% of Island Cruises, but this was sold to TUI Travel PLC in October 2008.[4]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_C...an_Cruises_Ltd.

Either way, not good for the cruise industry. However, it does sound like things were under control with propulsion and power.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Paul, thanks I took the name out of it. I think it was because I was reading about the fact they talked about it was Carnival with a issue recently, something like that. I didn't just pull it out of thin air, but we do need to be factual, lol. Another cruise ship with a problem, that's correct! :-)

Yes, they never lost propulsion or power, people were never in immediate danger, but the potential was there with the fire on 2 floors at one point I think I read. The cruise ship industry definitely has a big black eye.
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

Wow, that was the ship we took our last cruise on, back in 2008. Good to know no one was seriously hurt.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Yeah, at least it wasn't Carnival this time. Those guys have had a bad string.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"