• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

3 short BD film reviews!

Hey all,

Holidays allowed me to rent a few BD's that I was meaning to see but never had the time. Here goes........

Terminator- Genisys

I'm a big fan of all the Terminator films so far but Terminator 2 has always been my benchmark. Terminator Genisys was merely good. It got a little heavy on the concept of convoluted time(s) diplacement. Arnie did a great job.....especially with his attempts to be a smiling Terminator. The addition of some humor to the series was a welcome one for me. 7/10 stars for good entertainment only.

San Andreas

This film was as predictable as ordering a Big Mac at a McDonald's drive through.......BAD!! It starts out ok but gets quickly worse as it goes along. Sure, the effects are good, but that's a given in today's action flicks. The last 30mins are actually laughable it's so bad ! Pure Hollywood junk!! 5/10 stars........and that's being generous!!

Mission Impossible- Rogue Nation

This movie was actually pretty good ! The story and mission however was a little on the weak side.......ie, solely about money!!??. A story about some serious terrorism threat or Nuke threat would have been better. Tom Cruise did a great job in this film and Rebecca Ferguson is the appropriate eye candy for us boys! One of the best Motorcycle chase scenes I've seen put to film is here! Good, solid, non-predictable fun here. 7/10 stars

All the soundtracks here were fabulous to listen to, and I watched them in standard Dolby Digital only on my legacy Rotel! Most of them were Atmos encoded but my receiver had no problem playing them in standard DD. As well, I was surprised that none of them had DTS !! I guess that's the trade off for encoding them with Dolby Atmos. Too bad because I like the sound of DTS better.
    Dan Madden :T
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Saw the first and third at the cinema last summer (was a bit of a mad dash at the cinema over the summer as I won't have too much free time going forward for a while) and bought them for home release. I have each film of each franchise and while I don't like them all equally, I do like each of them. There are some films where I deliberately turn off the "critical viewing skills" and simply enjoy the ride--these franchises are among them.

Comment

• P-Dub
      Office Moderator
      • Aug 2000

I did get a chance to see all three.

Terminator - in the theaters, regular. Had fun, but have to agree with the rating.

San Andreas - Well this one was just a comedy. Saw it at home, so lost out on some of the big sound. You were very generous with the score. I'd give it a 3/10.

MI - Rogue Nation - This was by far the best action movie I saw last year. But for the life of me I can't really recall the various plot points. So popcorn flick, check your brain at the door and forget about it after.
      Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"