X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

MASTER AND COMMANDER is great stuff.

Likely most action and/or Russell Crowe fans have already seen this film in the theater. For those who haven't, Master and Commander, The Far Side Of The World is based on the Patrick O'Brian novels that deal with the 1800's wartime adventures of Captain Jack Aubrey ( Crowe) and his friend Dr. Maturin ( Paul Bettany).

I haven't read the novels so I don't know where this story fits, but basically the film starts when Crowe's ship suffers severe damage after a sneak attack by a superior French frigate off the coast of Brazil. The rest of the story deals with Crowe's chase of the enemy ship around the Horn and into the Pacific and the Galapago Islands where a fierce battle follows. During the chase, there are several scenes of tension between officers and crew, as well as the friendship between Bettany and Crowe due to Crowe's obsession to catch the French frigate and exact his revenge by destorying it. The ending leaves the possibility open for a sequel, which I for one would love to see.

Crowe, as usual, does an excellent acting job here, and Bettany who, if you recall, starred opposite Crowe before in A Beautiful Mind, also does a fine job. The rest of the cast is also convincing.

This is a Peter Weir film. Though it may seem slow and quiet at times (remember Witness), we do get to know the characters and get to see what life must have been like at sea on a British frigate during the 1800's war between France and England. And when the battle scenes hit the screen, they are some of the best I have seen on film.

The overall picture quality is quite good, but bear in mind that there is little blue sky or sunshine. Most scenes are overcast, foggy, or set in the Captain's quarters or the crew's quarter's in the dark, dank underbelly of the ship, so be sure to have your PJ's or TV's black levels set properly for shadow detail. As for the sound, well that is something else. Every creak of the ship, the fierce howl of stormy winds, the bone crunching thud of cannon fire, all this and more will surround you and make you feel like you are there. In fact, this will probably become another reference audio disc for some to show off their system. It certainly showed off mine.

I highly recommend this film either as a rental or a keeper. For me it is definitely a keeper.
    :5:
    Last edited by George Bellefontaine; 27 April 2004, 10:30 Tuesday.
    My Homepage!
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

George, did you get the single-disc version or the multi-disc Collector's Edition (shown below)? I'm just wondering if there is a difference in the PQ/SQ between them. Both cases are labelled similarly.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Definately one to check out I've been wondering about the soundtrack for a while now as it looked promising...after your comments I can't wait to hear the cannon shots in my own home :P

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Tex, I got the single disc. I can't imagine the 2 disc set being much better as far as PQ goes. The single disc also has the choice of DD 5.1 or DTS. I played the DTS track and it was something else.

Jason, the sound on this disc is fabulous. You'll probably want to own this baby.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Dr C
          • Feb 2003

I echo George's comments on SQ. The 1st time the cannons were shot (by the French ship) I wasn't expecting the impact and was mildly shocked by the realism and intensity.

I'd guarantee that many of you will use this disk to show off the prowess of your subwoofer. In fact IMHO the SQ of M&C is better than LOTR.

Dr C

Comment

• DSGCobra
            • Feb 2003

I agree cannon fire is awesome!!!!!!

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Nice review George. I watched it this eve. Very cool film. I must have missed the DTS track selection. The DD was is very good as well. :T
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

We watched this last night and I'd heard that its sound track was good...but like you when those canon's fired it was amazing...they're extremely tight and deep sounding. There's tons of ambience as well with wood groaning and creaking thoughout the movie that adds to the clastrophobic effect esp when combined with the dimly lit shots of the ships interior. As George mentions this is a dark movie and it'll really test the abilities of your display to resolve black level. This is actually one of the first movies that I've seen on my 1HD that had me wishing for better black levels

Comment

• glangston@socal
                  • May 2004

The Book

was different. The ship was American and they caught up with it in the S. Pacific. Maturin and Jack fell overboard at one point and were captured by warlike women on an outrigger who fortunately let them go(on a deserted little island). Jack's ship found them and later they found the shipwrecked crew of the Americans, along with some prisoners they had taken. As you can see a quite different story. The language in the book is from the times and has idioms that are not familiar until you have read a few hundred pages and gotten the rhythm and feel of the characters. I read the book that follows this one and it is nearly all on land, a legal nightmare with international intrigue.

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Finally got to watch my DVD of this on Father's Day. Wow! 8O It's an excellent effort with PQ that easily matches what I remember from the theater, and SQ - at least using the DTS track - that surpasses my theater viewing. Yessir, definitely a new demo disc for Cinemeek. For what it's worth, my version is the 2-disc Collector's Edition. I haven't been able to determine if the audio/video was mastered differently between the Collector's and "standard" editions. More on that when it becomes available.

Here's a link to the review thread of the movie itself, if you are interested.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Just watched it recently as well. Just wanted to second the comments on sound and picture quality. Those canons! :E :P I rented it at the same time as Last Samurai (whose SQ/PQ are no slouches either ) and Master & Commander definitely stood out as the better performer of the two. Samurai's picture looked downright grainy in comparison :lol:

Jason
                      Jason

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

Well, I never seem to evaluate movies that critically on PQ, so I will just say, I'd be very hard pressed to pick the better film between MAC, and TLS. (Commander and Samauri)

Both excellent films in my opinion. A large amount of work went into these two. I think I give the nod to Tom Cruise as the best actor of the two movies. But I think his part just sent itself to giving more a performance, IMO.

But The Master was great anyway, recommended by me as well.

The kid actor was outstanding as well.

Lex
                        Doug
                        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2001

Well I watched this film again last night. I enjoyed it even more the second time around. I'll tell you, those cannons made my pantlegs flutter.
                          My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

I'll tell you, those cannons made my pantlegs flutter.
                            That quote made my day... I am a proud pappa :W

Comment

• aud19
                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2003

Still enjoying the Prattquake sub then eh George? :P

Jason
                              Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2001

Oh, yeah, definitely. Had a little problem in regard to the isolating spikes, though. I posted it over in AUDIO.
                                My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

George I answered your question in that other thread

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2001

Thanks, Mr. Pratt.
                                    My Homepage!

Comment

• glangston@socal
                                      • May 2004

Comparison

The dialog and detail of M&C made it a better movie, although both are heroic tales and well done. Russell Crow could play Cruise's part but I think Tom's lack of ability in the accent department would have hurt M&C. I can't recall Cruise affecting an accent. Costner falls in this same category.

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"