X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Swimming Pool

A French/English film starring Charlotte Rampling. She plays an English author close to burnout. Her London publisher sends her to his little (?) cottage in the South of France where the temp is always nice. While there, she meets the publisher's daughter, whose wild lifestyle interferes with the author's writing. Things happen, there is a murder ( or is there) and the author and publisher's daughter become close when they conspire to cover up the crime.

This is one of those European films with a story that has layers you can eventually peel away and discover what is real and what is fantasy. I can't say much more about this without giving things away, but for those looking for a change from the usual Hollywood fare may want to give this a spin. I kinda liked it, but it's not the type of film I'd watch twice.

:35:

BTW there are several scenes where everyone is speaking in French. My Sony 7700 allows me to activate the subtitle function that shows what they are saying in English without having the subtitles even when the characters are speaking English. It's a good idea to have it ON if your player has a similar subtitle feature.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Sounds pretty interesting George, I'll have to look it up. :T Thanks for putting out note on a title that isn't so mainstream. Another European (French?) murder/mystery film that I enjoyed fairly recently is Crimson Rivers. Jean Reno stars as a detective.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Yes, Tex, I also saw Crimson Rivers. Excellent.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Dr C
        • Feb 2003

Actually I find this a very interesting film - its certainly not in the style of Hollywood and I find the 2 main actresses a very interesting study in contrasts. Methinks the 2 of them acted out well.

With both coming from very different ends of the spectrum, one waits in anticipation of who will blink 1st and "surrender" to the other's point of view. It's a classic establishment vs the young thing .

The undercurrent of sex runs strongly in the movie. True to european style, the bedroom scenes are *different* - not at all lovey dovey or sentimental but more "matter of fact". Could be quite explicit and certainly not for the kids 8O

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"