X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dean McManis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • May 2003

The Final Countdown DVD Re-Release

I made the mistake of pre-ordering the original The Final Countdown DVD (poorly mastered by Pacific Family Entertainment), which quickly earned the status as "worst quality DVD" in my collection of around 850 discs. 8O ops:

It was by far the worst DVD that I ever bought, with picture quality like a bad internet streaming video. And it didn't even having chapters, let alone extras. Apparently it was again re-issued in a so-so (but improved) quality DVD from New Media just last year.

It seems that Blue Underground is the first company that actually has the DVD rights to release this movie, and they will have both single-disc and limited edition two-disc sets, each with newly remastered 2.35:1 anamorphic and full screen transfers, Dolby Digital 5.1 EX and DTS 6.1 ES surround tracks, audio commentary with director of photography Victor J. Kemper, trailers and TV spots.

The two-disc set also includes an interview with producer Lloyd Kaufman and "The Jolly Rogers" F-14 fighter squadron, still and poster galleries, cast bios and ROM extras including a "Zero Pilot Journal." Retail will run you $19.95 for the single-disc, and $29.95 for the limited edition set.

I pre-ordered the single-disc version, and I'm anticipating that this interesting time-shifting movie will be finally done right (as it deserved) on DVD when it comes out this March 23rd. 8)

-Dean.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I darn near pre-ordered the first release. Man, was I glad I didn't. Let us know if this later release is the real thing, Dean. I'd love to have that film in my collection.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Yeah Dean, I have one of those PFE's in my collection to remind me just what a truly bad DVD looks/sounds like. I'd up-fronted the money to PFE almost a year before I received that DVD!

I'll be soooo glad when my Blue Underground version comes in! Woohoo!

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Dean McManis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • May 2003

Yeah, I pre-oredered mine right when the PFE DVD was first announced, and I waited (after pre-paying) over a year to get that pile of DVD dung. :x

But that will all be long forgotten when I get my new copy. I'm eager to get the DVD, but I didn't order the 2-disc version because I have more extras that I will ever get to looking at (or listening to) in my lifetime.

-Dean.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

I haven't seen this movie in years... I remember it as being great for a flying fanatic, though, when I was young. Interesting story for a premise, too.

CHRIS
          Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Yeah, this is another movie that I've been waiting for them to release a version done RIGHT!

Others on that list include "True Lies", "Always", "Bladerunner", and "Titanic".

(do you know the "anamorhpic" Bladrunner is just a badly upscaled version of the LBX LD master?)

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Bad News Jon
              (do you know the "anamorhpic" Bladrunner is just a badly upscaled version of the LBX LD master?)
              What?!?!?!?!?!? Jon, say it ain't so! I've been waiting on this anamorphic version for years.

David - HTGuide flunky
              Our "Theater"
              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

I agree, Jon. I'm still waiting for True Lies and Armageddon to be released in good DVD versions. I own "Always" right now... I'd love it if it came out again.

As a pilot, "Always" and "Final Countdown" both have massive appeal. The idea of F-14 Tomcats dogfighting Zeros in actual combat is amazing.

CHRIS
                Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"