X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I waited way too long to see this! "Rear Window"

I will be 42 yrs old in a few days. I add this b/c it is very relative to this hobby. Well, at least to the movie watching portions of it. IMO, we tend to relate more to things of our own childhood/teen yrs than another's era. And as such, many things (A-Z pick your poison) go unknown or just plain passed over for lack of emotional conection of the time. And it is this belief that brings me to this post about "Rear Window".

I stuck this in my rental queue on the mere bases that it has been hailed as a must see. It has come to the top of my rental list many times, only to be moved further down the line for a more up-to-date film. Finally I chose to just knock it out.

In a nutshell...I should be shot for waitng this long to see the movie!!!
    It is strange how easily we can forget that it is the "Movie" that truly drives the majority of us in this hobby and not the glorious sound or whiz bang effects. After the 1st scene in the film, I'd become so drawn into the film. The mono track was just support to tell the story (and the sound was more than satisfying). The story was very well written. The acting was a clinic for anyone wanting to know how to do it right!

This disc has had the film restoration process by Universal. And while it isn't a perfect picture, it is very good for it age.

I close with this. We, most of our lives can recall being told by those older than ourselves, "You just don't know what you are missing". Or someting on the lines of " they just don't make'em like they used to!" And while this isn't always the case, it never hurts to consider the wisdom of our elders!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Your comments are right on, John.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• BradF
      • Nov 2003

Rear Window is a great film. It's fun to watch how Hitchcock moves the camera around in this one. Perfect casting, too.

I like the spirit of your post. I had a similar revelation when I viewed my Sunset Boulevard disc for the first time.

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Thank you gentlemen!

Brad, I'll be sure to add Sunset to my rental queue. I have yet to see it either. ops:

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Brad, Sunset is a great movie for sure and belongs in every serious film lover's collection.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Good stuff, guys, thanks for the recommendations. I had similar thoughts after recently buying and watching Citizen Kane, Casablanca, Ben Hur, etc.

CHRIS
            Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• BradF
              • Nov 2003

Amen, George. It's always a pleasure to pull a Wilder or Hitchcock movie off the shelf.

Chris, you mentioned some good ones there. I haven't made the upgrade to the Casablanca SE, but I understand that Bergman looks even more luminous now, so that makes it well worth owning. Come to think of it, I've bought quite a few Bogart DVDs this year, and there's yet another new one expected out this week.

Hey, since this is turning into a classic movies thread, I'll mention another good one, appropriate for this time of year, too... The Shop Around The Corner. It's a light romance, set in Austria at Christmas time, and even if it is a little bit hokey, it's sure to please. One of those purchases on a whim, and now it's a favourite. Jimmy Stewart again, and another great director -- Lubitsch.

Comment

• Zed
                • Jun 2003

I got this movie earlier this year because I heard it was a "must see" as well. I wasn't disappointed. This is an excellent movie. I got Ben Hur as well because I was on a oldie movie kick. There is much to learn from movies like these, no fancy special effects or digital editing needed just great filmmaking. Nice choice John!!

My DVD Collection
                My DVD Collection

Comment

• Zed
                  • Jun 2003

Forgot to ask if anyone else had some recommendations for other classic films. Thanks in advance.

My DVD Collection
                  My DVD Collection

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Here's a few, Zed:

12 ANGRY MEN
                    TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD
                    CITIZEN KANE
                    THE OXBOW INCIDENT
                    SHANE
                    THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE
                    TOUCH OF EVIL
                    THE DESPERATE HOURS ( Bogart )
                    IN COLD BLOOD
                    HIGH NOON
                    ALL ABOUT EVE
                    THE KILLERS ( Burt Lancaster)
                    THE SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS
                    WHITE HEAT ( Not on dvd to best of my knowledge, but should be)
                    THE HUSTLER

ETC., ETC.

My Homepage!
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• Dean McManis
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • May 2003

Rear Window was always one of my favorite Hitchcock thriller/suspense films ever. I had the movie on VHS, and then on laserdisc, and then when I read about the Harris and Katz restoration I knew that the movie would look great when it was released on DVD (after a theatrical re-release).
                      It's a great movie!

Two more great Hitch mystery, thrillers are North by Northwest, and Vertigo (also wonderfully restored by Harris and Katz), and a couple of older B&W, (but still outstanding) classic Hitchcock films are Notorious, and Spellbound. And one that is less known, but a great film-noir picture is Gilda.

These are all movies that I wouldn't miss having in my collection, and I watch them at least once every year. Often sharing them with people who didn't know about these classic gems.

-Dean.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

Gilda ? Dean, is that available on dvd ? I haven't seen that since it was in theaters. That scene of Rita Hayworth singing and removing those gloves is burned into my brain.

My Homepage!
                        My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Thanks Zed!

You guys have added some great suggestions for viewing. I must admit to being overwhelmed by the satisfaction that I received from this film. It has peaked my interest in other films of the era. I will be viewing all the aboved mention in the next few months.

I was looking for something, to put that zest back in my HT hobby and this gave me the shot in the arm that I was looking for.

Comment

• Dean McManis
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • May 2003

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                            Gilda ? Dean, is that available on dvd ? I haven't seen that since it was in theaters. That scene of Rita Hayworth singing and removing those gloves is burned into my brain.
                            Yeah George,

Gilda is still in print as far as I know (it shows up at Amazon), and it's a Columbia/Tristar DVD, so it's a great transfer as well. Rita definitely sizzles on the screen alright. 8O

John,

There are decades of amazing films out there, with most out on DVD now.
                            Just mention the ones that you really like, and we can recommend similar themed classic movies that might also interest you.

-Dean.

Comment

• BradF
                              • Nov 2003

George, I've seen Gilda in stock at Future Shop, but selling for well over thirty bucks. Amazon.ca looks like a better option. That Columbia Classics line is pricey... too pricey, me thinks.

Warner, though, offers some great value with their classics. I'm looking forward to what they've got coming in 2004... starting Jan.6 with The Postman Always Rings Twice. Lana Turner should look amazing in this one.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2001

That original "Postman" flick is on my list. And Warner does a fair to middling job on its classics transfers, though a couple of Bogey's recent releases could have used a little help. As for Gilda, man I have to get this. Don't know how I missed out when it was released. I usually keep my eyes open for any releases of the older classics.

My Homepage!
                                My Homepage!

Comment

• Dean McManis
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • May 2003

Tonight I watched To Catch a Thief, which is set in France with Cary Grant as a former master Jewel thief accused of a recent spree of thefts on the French Riviera who has to clear his name withotu getting arrested, or killed. Grace Kelly is also the same talented, beautiful, leading lady in this film as well.

It's not as intense as other Hitchcock thrillers, but still an enjoyable movie to watch. Scenic and nicely done.

-Dean.

Comment

• John Holmes
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

"To Catch a Thief" eh? I'll have to add that one to my list!

Dean,

Thanks for the offer! My interest in film is pretty broad. Though I lean towards sci-fi and horror...action, thrillers/suspense,animation, comedy and drama gets it's share in my home. So whatever you guys (or gals) through out there, will go into my rental queue.

Comment

• aud19
                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Dean McManis
                                      Two more great Hitch mystery, thrillers are North by Northwest, and Vertigo (also wonderfully restored by Harris and Katz
                                      I haven't seen Rear Window or North by Northwest but I have an old VHS copy of Vertigo. That was an awesome movie! Which reminds me I should make it a priority to see some of these other Hitchcock films! Also who couldn't love Citizen Kane! :?:

As for another classical suggestion that's appropriate for the holidays... It's a wonderful life :!: I bought the DVD a few years back and it has now become a staple with my family to watch it every year, Chrsitmas Eve. Nothing gets me in to the spirit like snuggling on the couch with my girlfriend watching that movie on Chrsitmas Eve.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                                      Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Dec 2000

Originally posted by aud19
                                        It's a wonderful life :!:
                                        Nothing gets me in to the spirit like snuggling on the couch with my girlfriend watching that movie on Chrsitmas Eve.
                                        Actually, that's true. Nothing gets me in the spirit like snuggling on the couch with your girlfriend on Christmas Eve either.

CHRIS
                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Dean McManis
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • May 2003

And speaking of classic B&W feel-good Christmas movies, there is Miracle on 34th St, and the Bishop's Wife with Cary Grant, David Niven, and Loretta Young (which was later remade as The Preacher's Wife), also a fun family film is The Shop Around the Corner, with James Stewart and Margaret Sullavan, which loosely inspired the move You've Got Mail.
                                          It's a Charming romantic comedy, and the story is set around the holiday season.

Merry Christmas, and enjoy the movies, friends and family.

-Dean.

Comment

• BradF
                                            • Nov 2003

Dean, you must have missed my earlier post recommending The Shop Around The Corner... that's what one too many eggnogs will do for ya. :LOL: Anyway, it's a picture that's worth mentioning again.

Merry Christmas to all classic movie lovers.

Comment

• Dean McManis
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • May 2003

Oops, yeah I missed the comment. ops:

I hope that everyone enjoyed their Christmas, and that Santa brought them everything that they wanted.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Dec 2000

You know, I've been wanting to start a discussion on classic movies anyways. I'll just start a new thread on this.

CHRIS
                                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                                😀
                                                😂
                                                🥰
                                                😘
                                                🤢
                                                😎
                                                😞
                                                😡
                                                👍
                                                👎
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"