• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Run!! The Aliens Are Coming!! Run!!

Hot Off The Presses!

Bill Hunt, in his Digital Bits column (and confirmed on Fox's web store site) announced today that The Alien Quadrilogy box set will hit the streets on December 2nd. Woohoo!
    :T
    This Region 1 DVD compendium contains 2-disc special editions of all 4 Alien movies, plus a 9th (yes, 9th) disc full of even more bonus materials. With an MSRP of $100.00 US, it isn't cheap - I hope the PQ and SQ justify the price.

More details to come. . . .

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

Any chance they're selling those separately?

I'd only ever want Alien and Aliens....everything else after that was cannon fodder (IMO).

They took my money once for Alien3 and Alien4....they can't have it again.

"A RONSTER!"
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

In addition, "Alien: The Director's Cut" is on the big screen at a commerical theater near you for a limited time. (That's the first one; we already saw the "director's cut" of "Aliens" in its first DVD release.)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Gordon, I haven't seen any mention of singles on this. Sorry. 1 and 2 were definitely the cream of the crop here. 3 was flat atrocious and 4 was okay for a popcorn thriller.

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Gordon Moore
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Feb 2002

Some good news...

according to dvdfile.com:

Whether or not you want to wait for the stand-alone discs, due in January, depends on how much you like (or dislike) ALIEN 3 and ALIEN Resurrection.
          That's great news...I'm gonna save my money. I will probably go for the anniversary edition of Alien and the Theatrical cut of Aliens and poo-poo the rest

"A RONSTER!"

Comment

• Brandon B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2001

Well bought the Q set (got it for $42 at Costco after a mfr rebate, so got the useless 3rd and 4th movies for free, neener neener) a few weeks ago.

I've now watched the first 2, and I have to say, the job done on Alien is stunning! The video quality looks as good as I could hope for from a movie this old. Sure hope GL does this well with SW.

However, watched Aliens last night, and the video on this is, by contrast, pretty mediocre. Kind of a bummer, given that I'd read it was good, but not as good as the first movie's PQ. I'd give it at best a 2.5 out of 5. And the other thing I find odd, of the 4, only this film is 1.85:1 (others are all 2.35).

Anyone remember the OAR of Aliens?

Anyway, expect to be knocked out by the PQ of Alien, but not Aliens. I'll report back some day on the other 2 for the odd person who might watch them. Sound is good on both. HAven't gotten to any of he extra, but there is a whole weekends woth of them.

BB

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Aliens is the only one of the four directed by James Cameron, and was always a 1:85:1 ratio film. Here's some specs from IMDB.

Film negative format (mm/video inches):
              35 mm (Kodak 5294, Kodak 5295)

Cinematographic process:
              Spherical

Printed film format:
              35 mm
              70 mm (blow-up)

Aspect ratio:
              1.85 : 1

David - HTGuide flunky
              Our "Theater"
              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

I too have been waiting a long time for these but like Gord said they're only getting my money once for 3 & 4 and they already got it

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                Jason

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Feb 2002

Well I have both Alien and Aliens but I have yet to give them a spin Things just keep coming up, that get in the way (such is life ).

For the record, both cuts are on each disc. So you get Theatricals and SE's in one box. The second disc in the box is for special feature stuff.

I thought that they were going to milk you with 2 separate purchases / movie...I'm glad I was wrong!

I've only had a look the the Aliens features and there's some interesting behind the scenes stuff. One thing that people seem to really drive home was that James Cameron was/is a bit of an SOB to work for (which I've heard before) and there was a heck of a lot of tension between the Brits and the American + 1 Canadian crew, mostly due to work practices and habits. The relaxed pace of the Brits didn't sit well with the raceway pace of the North Americans. Many interviewees added that the British calibre of workmanship was second to none and hence why pinewood studios was so critical to the success of the movie.

Its really interesting stuff for fans. I hope to spin the movies soon. I hear Alien got most of the attention in it's transfer and I'm disappointed to hear that Aliens is NOT a new transfer but it was re-encoded and has benefited from the new technology. The encoding process has added some definition but it wasn't the degree of care taken with the Alien SE. Bummer

These are 2 great movies that I seem to be able to watch at the drop of a hat...highly repeatable with 2 very different and contrasting styles.

"A RONSTER!"

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Well we watched Alien from the "Q" pack last night, picture and sound have been well taken care of for a 25 year old movie, looked and sounded great :T

Can't wait to watch Aliens, if I remember correctly it was the scarier and more carnage filled of the two with Alien having more of an edge in the actual story...but it's been a while so I could be wrong there.

Jason
                    Jason

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Jason, your memory is just fine.

I will say that the extended version of Aliens is a better movie than the theatrical release. It delves into Ripley's life and better explains her devotion to Newt. Also there are some extended fight scenes that are rather cool! :T

Comment

• Danbry39
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Sep 2002

Yeah, I was of the mind that Alien was the superior film, but after watching Aliens again after all these years, and thinkng about it some, I think that Aliens might be the better of the two. Alien was there pretty much just to scare that **** out of you. Aliens adds the element of developing Ripley's character much better. I still think that the opening scene where they go exploring on the planet in Alien is a classic though.
                        Keith

Comment

• Brandon B
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jun 2001

Merits of the two films aside, unfortunately in this set, the picture on the Aliens disk is the same crap from the last release. Nowehere near the beauty that is the new Alien transfer.

BB

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2001

Alien is my favorite horror sci-fi flick and Aliens is my favorite action sci-fi flick.
                            My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2003

Well watched Aliens last night and while the sound picture didn't seem quite as nice as Alien, it was still pretty good. It was definitely the more carnage filled of the two but wasn't as scary as I remember it from when I was a young child :lol: My only real complaint was the mixing of the vocals, for most of the movie they were way too quiet compared to the music/sound effects and Jazz kept asking me to turn it up and down. (I hate that :evil: )

Jason
                              Jason

Comment

• NMyTree
                                • May 2004

I received this Box Set (Q) for Christmas. I already had the other box set. The little women claims she found it for an unbelievable price and couldn't resist; knowing how much I love the Aliens. :B

Alien 3 is an extended Special Edition, and it does add something to the overall presentation of the movie. At least in my opinion it does. I believe there's an added 20-30 minutes. I enjoyed this version....a lot. Certainly not anywhere near the first two, but better. But I'll tell you, this movie looks fantastic, in this box set.

Alien 4 sucks barbwire! Plain and Simple. While there are some very cool scenes in this movie and some of the ideas I liked; they completely bit the big one in the overall concept and execution of the movie.

I really felt bad for H.R. Giger and his artistic vision, when I first saw this mess in the Theaters.
                                Tony

Comment

• Brandon B
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Jun 2001

I'm in Tokyo for a week and a half. Anyone super hot for me to look for this?

Runs about $300+ (if I can still find it for sale). Remember its R2.

BB

Comment

• Brandon B
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jun 2001

Found out you can order it yourself from Amazon Japan.

BB

Comment

• David Meek
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

Tony, it's funny how people perceive things differently. I'm just the opposite. I thought #3 was a bust and liked #4 somewhat. Neither even comes close to #1 and #2, which are two of my all-time favorite movies.

Comment

• Azeke
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2003

My favorite was Aliens, and then the first Alien.

Game over man, game over.

Azeke

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"