X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

The Wonder Years live up to the name

Though I've had the deluxe box set for several years, it wasn't until a few months ago that I finally got to it in the way I'd hoped when I purchased it. We've made it a (mostly) weekly family activity to watch 2-3 episodes of The Wonder Years (me, my wife--who'd never watched it originally, my 17 year old daughter, my 13 year old son). I consider it in the top five TV shows ever produced in the US, all time. The box set is from a few years ago, when they'd finally acquired the rights to nearly all 290 or so songs used throughout the show (and vital to the show--it covers the years 1968-73). The few they could not get (about 14 if I recall correctly) have been replaced by reasonable alternatives (in a few cases, "remakes" by the original singer from, if not the band, Blood, Sweat, and Tears).

The video quality is as expected from a late 80s/early 90s production. No need to wait for the Blu-ray, as the DVD is as good as this is ever going to look. Something that helps re-create the era is our venerable 32" CRT SDTV in our living room (hooked into a two channel rig). I suspect video shortcomings would be more vivid on more recent displays, though I guess someday I'll have to cope.

The extras are copious and well done. Interviews from cast and crew looking back are great and when more than one cast member is in a feature, it's clear they enjoyed each other's company, then and now.

If any of you remember the original broadcasts (as I do) or have kids in the 12-18 range, I highly recommend tracking down the series (it has been released without the deluxe materials and is probably easier to find that way). I was a big fan when it was new watching in my early 20s (I went to the same grades the main character--Kevin Arnold--did exactly 10 years later on the calendar and much was very similar) and now, 30 years later, I am very much enjoying it through a different set of eyes. Also, watching my kids as they watch the show for the first time is great.

Very highly recommended.
Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"