X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

Tears of the Sun is worth your time

You know, sometimes the advertising whiz’s drop the ball. I really think they did that in this case. I concluded from the trailers and TV promos that Tears of the Sun was another Bruckheimerish overblown Armageddon / ConAir/The Rock/Insert Big-Unbelievable-But-Fun-Action-Flick here.

Even the box has a promo line from a reviewer saying “Willis's best work since Die Hard “ (again alluding to big action, high kill picture).

So the other day I give it a chance, and boy was I glad I did.

It is a very thoughtful and well done story that brings to light the horrors of oppression and ethic cleansing that is taking place in Africa. Living on the western side of the globe, you sometimes forget that people are living horrible dangerous lives. I was left feeling frustrated and saddened that people are subjected to this kind of life. What's worse is that it is Africans killing Africans.

The story is actually subdued somewhat in that it is very linear. Try to get refugees from A to B without getting killed. The focus is very much on the plight of Africans as it stands today. Willis is excellent. He takes this role with a lot of reserve (for him) and provides leadership more with a calculated look, than a lot of words. The supporting cast is there but you never gain a lot of attachment. Monica Belluci is the doctor that the rangers are trying to get out of the hot zone and provides the catalyst to the predicament they later find themselves in. She definitely has star quality. I think she is today’s Sophia Loren (a true starlet)

If the story doesn't suck you in THE MIX WILL!!!!!

The surrounds are aggressively used when bullets whiz by your head. The range is everything from a whisper to pant flapping explosions.

There is a great slew of trailers on this disc...a nice mix as far as trailers go. Radio isn't out till fall but looks like a possible winner.

Be sure to listen to the voices of Africa segment in the extras.

Highly Highly Recommended.

"A RONSTER!"
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Gordon, join the club. Several of us weighed-in on this fine film in an earlier thread. You can see it here:
    1. More than an action flick. . .

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Dean McManis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • May 2003

Yeah, I was put off by the trailer as well. But I've now read quite a few glowing reviews, so I'm going to add it to my rental list.

-Dean.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"