Rotel pricelist for 2006 in South Africa?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boombox
    • Oct 2005

Rotel pricelist for 2006 in South Africa?

Does anyone have the pricelist for Rotel gear in South Africa?

I think I'm coming down with a slight upgrade fever.

Its a pity we have to fork out 12500 ZAR (1600Euro/US$2000) for a RB1080, whereas in the States its what US$800-900 :M ? I understand you guys in Europe are also paying almost double for Rotel gear than in the States.

Can anyone explain this? 8O

People on this forum suggested that its to do with the 110-220V power supply thing and others blamed sales volumes and taxes . With the power supply thing, I believe that Rotel has the jumper switch onboard to switch between 110-220V; as for volumes and taxes......double the price than in the States...????? :roll:

The only plausible answer I can think of is that consumers in the States are more aggressive towards proper pricing of products, whereas us fools down here have to put up with limited choices and take what we are given!
    Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"
  • slaikan
    • Dec 2005

Hi

The SA pricing seems to be on ww.rotel.co.za, and the RB-1080 is actuallty R14200 retail 8O

Comment

• Kobus
      • Aug 2005

My conversion method for US prices is normally x10 to get to SA Rand. This is normally fairly accurate. The above looks like a good rip-off. I would also like it explained.

For those outside South Africa, the exchange rate is $ = R 6. And the above example is like X 16.

What is it like for you guys in Australia, etc.

Kobus

Comment

• Boombox
        • Oct 2005

Slaikan,
        I know that site and its pricelist is outdated (look at the bottom - Aug 2005)!! Except for the intro of the RB1091/92 (which is rediculously expensive). Get it here: http://www.mad.co.za/pricelist.htm
        But this one is November 2005.

There are retailers here in R.S.A. that blantently rip their clients off!! My supplier at least shows me the same suggested retail pricelist.

My point is this. Rotel IS loosing a host of possible clients. I know of at least 6 of my friends that want a Rotel, but are unwilling to buy the product due to the outrages prices. 4 of them have access to overseas markets, but are not that fanatic to take advantage of their oppertunity. I think that Roetl should step in and adjust the retail prices.

DON'T ALLOW US TO BE RIPPED OFF ROTEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :M

Comment

• Boombox
          • Oct 2005

Sorry for that.....!!!

So frustrated that there is no other platform to raise this!!!

Comment

• Vicente
            • May 2004

You have all my support. In Europe, probably we don't pay as much as in South Africa, but still Rotel is much more expensive than in the USA and I think this is not fair. We don't earn more money here or it is not more expensive to distribute outside USA than in Europe, South Africa or Australia, so there should'nt be such differences in price. :M

Rotel, can you hear us?!!! When are we all going to pay the same money for the same articles?

Comment

• georgev
              • Jul 2004

It's not just Rotel in SA, but virtually all the "High End" importers. What choice do we have? Don't buy from them. Import the equipment. The profit margins here are just way too high.

Comment

• Ronel S
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by georgev
                It's not just Rotel in SA, but virtually all the "High End" importers. What choice do we have? Don't buy from them. Import the equipment. The profit margins here are just way too high.
                Yes, this is very frustrating. Here in the Philippines the cost of RB-1080 is P68,400.00 or $1325 US. I sent an email to Rotel website requesting for explanation on the price difference with that of the US but no feedback so far.

Comment

• BTB
                  • Jan 2006

Hello all my fellow South Africans

I agree with GeorgeV...

Import. These guys are plain and simple ripping us off. I looked into getting Naim gear here, bought from a UK retailer, with all costs (customs, shipping etc...) I would've paid what essentially amounts to UK retail + 25%, as opposed to UK retail + 75% :E asked by the local retailer. Needless to say, I will never pay the extra 50% when purchase time comes!

Anyway, a few brands don't seems that bad, B&W among them, I can't imagine getting their stuff here any cheaper even with the import effort involved, could be wrong? Regardless, there seems to be a ridiculous reliance here (on the part of retailers and certain customers) to trade on the imagined "snob" value of certain kit to justify what are sheer rip off prices. My two cents... sounds bitter I know, but in a relatively small high end audio maret, like SA, surely anyone with sense would try to stimulate sales (and therefore growth) with more reasonable pricing?

Comment

• Boombox
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by BTB
                    ....Regardless, there seems to be a ridiculous reliance here (on the part of retailers and certain customers) to trade on the imagined "snob" value of certain kit to justify what are sheer rip off prices. My two cents... sounds bitter I know, but in a relatively small high end audio maret, like SA, surely anyone with sense would try to stimulate sales (and therefore growth) with more reasonable pricing?
                    You just could'nt have said it better!!!

I'll make another example (bit off the point, but bear with me). I wanted to replace my car's speakers with a set from a certain brand. On this brand's website, the speakers sell for US$325 (1800 ZAR). The qoute I've been given was 3800 ZAR :E (US$630)....Asked why so much, I've been given the reason that "..these are high-end speakers and only one distributor that imports these speakers...." I've decide to order the speakers from the States directly...!!

I do believe that companies such as Rotel limits the amount of distributors who in turn cash in on their monopoly :B . I know of one premium brand, who stepped in and slashed their prices by almost half in S.A. in order to attract more clients ;x( . Although they are still out of my league, I have added their speakers to my "most wanted" list just because they were willing to bring their prices here in S.A. more in line with what you would pay for it in another part of the world...guess where....

Comment

• BTB
                      • Jan 2006

Hi Boombox...

Which brand would that be (the price slashers?)? Just out of interest...

BTW, after doing my pricing exercise, I contacted Naim to asked about this issue. They replied that they would look into it, but I've not heard anything since.

Not to get off the point but, did you ever sort out your bi-amp or big amp situation? Saw way back you had a 1070 you wanted to bi amp with or trade up? Just interested cause I might want to sell my 1070 or keep and bi amp, even though the discussions been done to death already!!!! :W

Comment

• georgev
                        • Jul 2004

B&W are inlcuded.
                        The 802D's retail stateside for $12000.00(ZAR <72k), while in good ole RSA they retails for R96K($16k). Remember the dealer gets it at dealer price.
                        Alas, what do we do.

Comment

• georgev
                          • Jul 2004

Another example: Boston; The control centre for multi room home audio, retails here for R39k($6500.00), while stateside it is guess what? $2500.00. Fantastic business..........
                          Anyway back to Rotel.

Comment

• Stevebez
                            • Oct 2003

Electronics were always more in SA due to govt import duties... but were zero rated 1-2 yrs back.

Has not seemed to filter down the retail line though.... Best bet is to complain to Rotel HQ about pricing policy down there esp if import duties have been squashed.

Vat adds its 14% - for starters, and then there is shipping, but that should be no more than to the US ... the balance I cannot say ...? :huh:

According to page 253/4 of the doc there should be no duties payable on any hifi stuff except 22-25% payable on TV's (with screen < 3 metres or something)

So sounds like your local distributor is pulling your pants down and having a laugh.... think its time to laugh back guys.

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• Boombox
                              • Oct 2005

BTB, LINN....

My dealer offered me the LINN NINKAS brand new (no demo) for R12k or internally bi-amped for R16k or tri-amped for R18k:T . Normal retail price 1025 british pounds (don't know how much bi- or tri-amped).

Linn Unidisk SC use to retail for R46500, but now R32000......ok "almost half" was a little over the top, but at least you see a similar price as in overseas markets...

As for the 1070, pm me if you are interested in selling.. ..the 1080 gives 200W/ch (according to Rotel 250W/ch into 8ohms). Two 1070s will give 260W/ch (Rotel says 300W/ch into 8ohms)...I have not gone through the exercise yet, but I'm commiting myself to the bi-amping route. to be honest, most people suggested the RB1080, but little advice on bi-amping.

Thanks for the info and link Stevebez...

Comment

• georgev
                                • Jul 2004

Thanks for the link, will check it out.
                                Wanted to import a Mark Levinson 380S last year but was told by the shipping company that I had to pay import duties as well as the VAT. Dropped the idea.
                                Managed to source one locally.
                                Cheers,
                                George.

Comment

• georgev
                                  • Jul 2004

Bi amping is only useful if you go the route of active bi-amping and not passive.
                                  If you go the passive route, you might just as well get a more powerful amp. If you go active, I hear the results are outstanding.
                                  Just my0.o2cents worth.
                                  George.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"