• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

More than an action flick...

TEARS OF THE SUN

Okay, now, let's be honest. Out of today's crop of actors, who does the action hero better than Bruce Willis ? In Tears Of The Sun he is at his best. At first portraying a tough Navy Seal, but who later breaks his own rules and gets involved by going against orders.

The film is set in Nigeria during the turbulent tribal wars. The Navy Seals, led by Willis are sent in to rescue a female doctor , a priest and two nuns who operate a hospital at a mission that is targeted by a group of rebels. The priest and nuns refuse to leave, and the doc does, but only if she can take her people with her. Willis tricks her into getting on the escape helicopter, and then they leave her Africans behind, but Willis has a change of heart and goes back., and they start the trek to the safety of Cameroon. From there on, Willis and company are pursued by some real nasty soldiers.

There are some excellent action scenes, and the jungle night and daytime darkness make this a real torture test for you tv's or projector's ability to resolve shadow detail. Dailogue is low, but be careful because during action secenes, you may damage your hearing if you have the sound too loud. But overall picture quality is quite good, and I'll bet Columbia will be re-packaging this title in Superbit.

This flick didn't do so well at the BO, but I'd say it was bad timing, since it was released during the US/Iraqi war, and I guess most people had enough of the real thing on their tvs without getting more at the local Bijou. In my opinion, this is a cut above the average action flick, but not as good as We Were Soldiers or Blackhawk Down. There are some pretty gruesome scenes in Tears of The Sun, and not everyone liked the ending, but I liked it just fine. This will get several spins in my HT.

:4:

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Yes! George, I got this for Father's Day, so I'll be watching it tonight. I didn't have the opportunity to see it in the theater, so my hopes are high and the popcorn is waiting! I'll post my thoughts tonight or tomorrow.

C'mon Bruce! :banana:

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

I'll look forward to that, Tex. I think you'll like this one.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Oh phooey. Sorry George. I spent so much time on my post in the Starship Troopers thread I didn't have time to watch this last night. Tonight's the night. . . !

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

You're just a writing fool, Tex.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Heh George, yeah that whole Starship Troopers book vs. the movie just gets me going. . . . :hb

David - HTGuide flunky
            Our "Theater"
            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Danbry39
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2002

Just watched the film and I have to say we have been spoiled by the greatness of recent war movies such as Band of Brothers, Blackhawk Down, and We Were Soldiers, all of which are better than Tears of the Sun.

Tears of the Sun is more traditional/stock in its fare than the ground breaking depictions of war that began with Saving Private Ryan. In this sense, it is more predictable and includes elements like Bruce Willis undergoing a struggle between his conscience and call to duty, with the ping of doing what's morally right using as a catalyst a beautiful damsel in distress. Without giving anything away, there are elements clearly designed to tug at your emotions.

OK, OK, that all said, I love war movies and Willis is in top form here. I really can't think of a current actor who could have done a better job and the movie does have some great scenes, so I give it a thumbs up too. I'm glad I saw it.

Oh, and for you sound demons, I really, really like the sound of jets. Quite a thrill for me.

Keith
              Keith

Comment

• Dean McManis
                Moderator Emeritus
                • May 2003

I didn't see the movie, but my impression from the trailer was that it was just another predictable cookie-cutter war film. It may well be enjoyable, but from the little shown on the trailer it looked pure Hollywood formula.

-Dean.

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

I managed to watch Tears Of The Sun last night. George and Danbry pretty much summed up my reaction to this film. Yes, parts of it are formulaic, but it is overall a tough, well done movie and Bruce is back in top form. The picture quality is good, but heaven help you if your display can't resolve blacks and dark greens well, since as noted earlier, the majority of the scenes are either shot in the dark or in murky jungle. Sound is very good with lots of ambient noise in the surrounds and during the action scenes they really get a workout. The "gore quotient" is much lower than in Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down and We Were Soldiers, thankfully. Most of the true carnage is suggested more than seen, or depicted in a very wide shot with little detail. All the cast did a good job in their roles with only one or two moments that were over-the-top.

I'm surprised this film didn't do better at the box-office but yes, timing is almost everything and releasing a tough, gritty film like this in the middle of the Iraq invasion doomed its receipt total. Too bad, because it's a fine film and will get repeated viewings in Cinemeek.

I give it :35: out of :5: (it's very close to a :4: in my book).

David - HTGuide flunky
                  Our "Theater"
                  Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Glad you liked it, Tex and Keith. What did you guys think about the Cavalry-To-The-Rescue ending ? Some people were put off by that, but it was okay by me. After all, the story may have been based on actual events in Nigeria, but unlike Blackhawk Down and We Were Soldiers, theTears Of The Sun screenplay was pure fiction.

My Homepage!
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• Danbry39
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Sep 2002

That's an interesting question George. A similar thing happens in We Were Soldiers and I almost jumped up for joy when it happened there.

I guess my emotions would be mixed. On one hand, it did seem to be too Hollywood paint by the numbers, with the calvery coming to the rescue just in the nick of time. So, I didn't think it was anything but a pat ending. On the other hand, I wanted to see the bad guys put away and, as I mentioned before, loved the sound of the jets taking off in a visceral sense.

Keith
                      Keith

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

Oh, yeah, those jets taking off made my walls rock.

My Homepage!
                        My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

I'm not sure the 4 dead members of the SEAL team would agree that the cavalry got there just in time. I've read so many stories and seen many documentaries on TV showing how the Air Force, Army or Navy air arms bailed out soldiers right at the last moment that it doesn't seem that incredible. Plus, tactically the air strike took place in an open field which was located at the border - the team's goal and safety point - not in the heavy jungle which would have affected its lethality.

David - HTGuide flunky
                          Our "Theater"
                          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Danbry39
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Sep 2002

Good points David.

I hereby amend my statement to "paint by the numbers, but only the odd numbers"

Keith
                            Keith

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"