• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Straight Outta Compton

Going to give it 6/10.

The beginning was good, some of the touring/media stuff was good but then it seemed to veer off of telling the story of the birth of NWA to selling a brand and it went downhill from there (and ran too long IMO). If they'd not made it so obvious an attempt, this could have easily been an 8+ out of 10 movie.

Even worse was the increasing polishing of the 3 main characters that occurred simultaneous with the downhill story/brand selling. That and Ren and Yella are pretty much foot notes (as well as the secondary characters of family/wives/girlfriends etc feeling like glorified extras). What is there is largely well acted though.

It has it's moments but IMO they dropped the ball on making a more honest, grittier film even if it exposed some warts.
    Jason
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

thanks Jason.
    i will skip this one based on your impressions.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by wkhanna
      thanks Jason.
      i will skip this one based on your impressions.
      It's funny, I actually watched this in two parts, the first 30-45 minutes a few nights ago and the rest last night. Based on what I saw the first night, it would have gotten a MUCH better review :lol:

I'd say if you're at all a fan (I grew up with them), it's worth a watch but the further along the movie gets, the further it strays from fact and the less enjoyable it becomes.
      Jason

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"