when adding an amp which sound characters?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rick c
    • Aug 2004

when adding an amp which sound characters?

I know i asked this b4 but can't find where i did it.If you add an amp to a receiver from a different mfr do you get the sound characters of the amp or do you still stay with the characters of the receivr.Thanks

If i add an amp later would like to know should i stay w/rotel i have the rsx1056.
  • hired goon
    • Aug 2004

G'day,

If you add an amp to a receiver from a different mfr do you get the sound characters of the amp or do you still stay with the characters of the receivr.
    Short answer: a bit of both, to varying degrees.

Long answer:

Unless the receiver has a straight pass-through of the signal, then there may be colouration of the sound. For example, the receiver may take the analog signal from the CD player, convert it to digital, pass it through a number of processors (balance, volume, tone), before converting the signal back to analog again and thence to the amp. If any step along the way is not perfect, then there will be an effect on the sound.

(This is why, with my Rotel RSP-1068 pre-pro, I always use "bypass" mode for CD listening, as it best approximates a straight pass through).

The amplifier itself also has an effect on the sound -- there's the damping factor of the amp (for example, RB-1080 2x200w amp has a damping factor of 1000, whereas the RMB-1095 5x200w amp has a damping factor of 400), the power supply, the quality of circuitry, etc. Some amps sound a bit bright, some are bit smoother, some are a bit sluggish on bottom end reproduction.

The RSX-1056 includes an internal amplifier, but putting this amp into the same box as the receiver necessarily involves some compromises -- there's just not enough space to include the necessary power supply, etc (which is why separates are a wiser choice, in my opinion).

Now, the extent to which component affects the sound quality more: in my opinion, the speakers are the most important, followed by the amp, followed by the receiver. Add a RMB-1075 5x200w to your RSX-1056 and you should hear a considerable improvement in sound quality. Add an amp from another manufacturer at a similar price point (such as NAD), and you should also hear an improvement in quality, but with a slightly different character (for example, NAD sound may be smoother than Rotel).

Note, however, that this generalization does not apply at the extremes: use a Rotel amp on a $100 junk receiver, and you shouldn't expect much of an improvement -- there's too much junk getting fed to the amp in the first place.

Conversely, if you add a Mark Levinson amp to your RSX-1056, then don't expect an order-of-magnitude improvement over using a mid-level Rotel amp. Sure, there'll be an improvement, but not as much as if you using a very high-quality pre-pro to start with.

This is just a long-winded way of saying that each component affects the sound to varying degrees.

In any case, you should listen to various pre-pro/amp/speaker combinations so that you find a combination that sounds pleasing to you.

Hope this helps.

--Geoff
    Last edited by hired goon; 28 October 2004, 19:04 Thursday. Reason: Spelling mistakes :-)

Comment

• TimRawson
      • Oct 2004

Good information...

If I wished to strengthen lower frequencies and make highs crisper, is that more a function of power? With my 1056, I feel I need to stretch the range just a tad more. But then again, maybe I should've went with more efficient speakers or at least moderately efficient.

Comment

• rick c
        • Aug 2004

tim,what speakers are you using now?

Comment

• NMG
          • Oct 2004

I used to run my Paradign Studio 80's with a Yamaha Integrated Amp (2x100). My first upgrade was an RB-1080 (2x200) while continuing to use the Yami as the preamp. I noticed a big improvement in the sound quality, especially at more demanding volumes. Sound was more controlled, soundstage and depth seemed improved and dynamics were much better. The Rotel amp quite simply had a huge advantage over the amp section of the Yami and it showed.

I recently upgraded to an RC-1070 preamp as well to replace the Yami altogether. I again noticed an immediate improvement in sound quality. The music is more detailed than with the Yami and the sound is not as "bright". It has a more laid back attitude yet it is still very detailed. The Yami would tend to "blend" eveything together more while I've noticed that with the 1070, it's easier to pick out a particular instrument or portion of the music and follow it along. It's just more refined. It also seems to be getting a little "warmer" with some break-in.

To borrow Geoff's quote:

"This is just a long-winded way of saying that each component affects the sound to varying degrees.

In any case, you should listen to various pre-pro/amp/speaker combinations so that you find a combination that sounds pleasing to you"

He is bang-on with that.

Comment

• TimRawson
            • Oct 2004

I have NHT ST4s.... 86db, basically a SB3 bookshelf (sealed) on top of a ported side mounted 8" woofer to make them into a tower. I use a single SB3 for the center. I auditioned them on parasound halo 2 channel system. I've tried them shortly at home on Marantz 2 channel av550 pre with 125 x2 amp. But did not listened detailed - breaking them in and the pre seemed dark and was a temporary system.

Have had the Rotel rsx1056 for about a week now. Crisp and detailed in stereo, but sounds like I need more power to drive the bass deeper (as I've heard them do). I also connected a Pioneer Elite to my setup - thumped deeper and more airy highs, but less detail in the middle, smoother rather sharp/crisp. Also the elevated highs brought a hiss with it and the thump overwhelmed the bass accuracy. This is not full justice though because I did not tweak the eq to see if could be 'adjusted'. Also a matter of preference softer sound or harder-crisp.

Need to watch some more dvd's to see it's performance. Do extended highs help add airy-ness and create illusion of blending? Right now when watching tv or using surround in general, things aren't blending well and response of speakers (a lower volume) seem a little nasally at times and defined highs dissappear.

Either a mistake in my speaker section, sound great a louder volumes or need more power.

More in line with this thread... Could adding a warm/smooth amp give me the best of both worlds? Actually, let me flip that around, will a Rotel 1080 amp just extend what I hear now to louder levels or will it make lower volumes levels sound better as well? I'm concerned the pre-amp portion of the Rotel 1056 has just teased me to just want the next step up, a preamp, and it's a lost cause for "fix" with a 2channel amp for my given speakers?.... can't afford full on upgraditis.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"