X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Good Dinosaur

Watched Good Dinosaur with the kids this weekend, probably give it 7/10. Exceedingly beautiful to look at with some good moments, engaging main characters etc but it doesn't really tread any new ground story-wise.*

So definitely a notch below Pixar's more memorable, more original and best works, but still entertaining, pretty to watch*and touching.

It gets extra marks because of the fermented berries scene and the willingness to 'middle finger' all the Helen Lovejoys out there :lol:

Out of curiosity, I googled about that scene and sure enough (and to my absolute pleasure) there were countless articles/blog entries/tweets of sheer outrage that they'd put that in a kid's movie :B
    Jason
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

how dare we expose our children to reality in a playful manner that gives parents the opportunity to engage them one on one with a discussion on the existence of drugs along with the good & harm they may be capable of.

then again, some would rather let someone else raise their children if requires them to take their face out of their phone.

christ, i even lecture my own 30 year old daughter about spending more time just talking with my grand kids & less on those god damned cell phones.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by wkhanna
      how dare we expose our children to reality in a playful manner that gives parents the opportunity to engage them one on one with a discussion on the existence of drugs along with the good & harm they may be capable of.

then again, some would rather let someone else raise their children if requires them to take their face out of their phone.

christ, i even lecture my own 30 year old daughter about spending more time just talking with my grand kids & less on those god damned cell phones.
      Yeah, sadly most of those outraged parents probably took more time expressing that online than they did bothering to have a dialogue with their kids about it...:roll:
      Jason

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Originally posted by aud19
        Exceedingly beautiful to look at with some good moments, engaging main characters etc but it doesn't really tread any new ground story-wise.*

So definitely a notch below Pixar's more memorable, more original and best works, but still entertaining, pretty to watch*and touching.
        Jason said my thoughts perfectly on this one. Just watched it with the fam. Not a bad film by any stretch, but not up to usual Pixar greatness. A Netflix reviewer also summarized another thought of mine, that a few dozen minutes through "Inside Out", and I knew I wanted to buy the Blu Ray. Halfway through "Good Dinosaur", and I knew I probably wouldn't bother watching it again. My 12 year old daughter commented afterwards that she could tell just about everything that was going to happen in the movie.

BEAUTIFUL scenes. And I thought it was a pretty strong ending. Pixar has gotten very good about telling a heartfelt scene with no words, using only symbolism and the computer characters' facial expressions. But the rest of the film was closer to a Saturday morning kid special. I hold Pixar to a high standard only because they show that they CAN produce excellence, over and over.

:3: out of :5: for me, and likely not a purchase. I think even the beautiful scenes, I can find just as good or better on other demo material.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

But what did you think about the fermented berries scene Chris? :rofl:
          Jason

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Eh... Thought it was funny. Not a huge deal. My kids were watching with us. They know what it means to be drunk, so they probably took that scene to be something along the lines of being drunk. (Although those berries seemed a little more hallucinogenic, lol). I think more is made about that scene than needs to be. If you're out in nature, and you encounter stuff like that, you're going to have real effects, not stopped by some social moray or age limit. Gotta make a good decision, and roll with the consequences.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"