This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Norm
    • Mar 2011

Inspiring industrial design and craftsmanship the ‘Sail Duetta Top’ by Andreas

When a Pinterest posting showed this design I assumed it was from another Italian or Danish high end speaker manufacturer. A little searching and I am amazed and thrilled to learn it is the result of DIY of the highest order. The build story is over on Intertechnik’s lautsprecherbau.de/LoudSpeakerBuild.com forum.

Normally I refrain from cross posting between forums, but you must see this. I find both Andreas’ design and original construction methods extremely interesting.
    My favorite quotes from his article:

“I start with extensive bending tests using 3-mm birch multiplex. How does the layered wood respond to tension? How tightly can you bend it before it breaks apart? After a few days of trial and error, I begin to trust the material.”

“It took a long time, but it was a lot of fun. For the statistics: I created 150 components made of wood, plastic, rubber and metal for each of the two loudspeakers, and they are held together with more than 200 screws, pegs and dowels. Then there are the electronics and drivers, glue, resin and gravel. That comes out to 25 kg of inert mass, distributed throughout 970 mm of height and 450 mm of depth. The body is 220 mm wide, and balances on a 350-mm-wide base.”

WOW. Mad skills.
  • TEK
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Thats an impressive build!
    -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Beautiful design and attention to detail... Makes me feel like a caveman! A caveman with a slide rule...
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by JonMarsh
        Beautiful design and attention to detail... Makes me feel like a caveman! A caveman with a slide rule...
        Slide rules got us to the moon and back. And the batteries never die. But they are some very impressive speakers.
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Steve Manning
          • Dec 2006

I'd seen this a little while back ..... it's a good read going through his process, nice stuff.
          Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• Navy Guy
            • Oct 2014

Wow! Really amazing craftsmanship!
            www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

Comment

• Norm
              • Mar 2011

I have discovered Andreas also has a matching sub he calls the Brick to go with his Sail.

At this time the build thread is only available on the German part of lautsprecherbau.de.

Again many interesting design and fab ideas. We try so hard for high gloss finishes, I was very impressed with how shiny and flat the sides of his sub are, then I read he used plate glass painted on the inside!

A unique take on bracing the SEAs subwoofer and reinforcing the enclosure with dowels.

Note how the passive radiator's mounting hole and bottom removable panel provides access to install the woofer mount back bracket.

Look at the detail on the BOTTOM! I am becoming suspicious Andreas is a professional Industrial Designer. At least 90% of High-End companies products' would benefit from his design chops.

Comment

• scottvalentin
                • May 2015

Also his photography skills! Those look very unique.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"