X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glen B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2004

CD Recommendation: Andreas Vollenweider

For those like me who are always on the lookout for new artists, I recommend taking a listen to Andreas Vollenweider, a Swiss new age artist and World Music award winner who plays the electroacoustic harp, which he invented. You've never heard a harp played like what you will hear. This guy is no newcomer, but an internationally known artist who has been recording for the past 25 years. I discovered this music last year while listening to my cable company's Music Choice channel and bought the CD titled The Essential Andreas Vollenweider, a compilation of hits from his previous releases. Following is a link to sound samples, although PC speakers don't really do justice to the music. It has to be heard on a proper system. Especially check out tracks #1, 3, 4, 10, 11, 14 and 15. Track #10 features the Ladysmith Black Mambazo choir from South Africa.

• Stoney
    • Dec 2004

I'll second the vote for Andreas Wollenweider as being a must hear artist. I have been listening to his music since the early 80's. His albums allways take me on a mental journey when I listen to them. The "essential" disk is good, but you need to listen to his full CD's. Each one tells a story/paints a picture.
    Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
    Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
    B&W DM605 S2 Mains
    DM602 S2 Surrounds
    DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
    CC6 S2 Center.
    ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• Kingdaddy
      • Jan 2004

Me three, been listening since the early eighties as well, went to a live performance in Dallas once but couldn’t get a ticket so i stood out in the lobby and listened, still sounded very good. White Winds is my favorite.
      My Center Channel Project

Comment

• Pieter
        • Jan 2005

Four. "Trilogy" atmospheric and beautifully recorded.

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I first heard him in 1985(?) on the Down To The Moon CD (a blind buy, no less) and have been a fan ever since.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Cracking Oboe
            • May 2004

Everyone should own some Vollenweider!

Vollenweider's "White winds" has been one of my essential test discs for auditioning audio equipment for many, many years (+15?). I have not found a better recording to examine/test a systems micro detail, timber, resolution, air, and dynamics. In short it has a large variety of natural sounds that can sound amazingly natural on a good audio system. (never mind that it is just plain fun and relaxing to listen to). Oh... if you don't recognise the sounds 40 seconds into the 1st track as the soft splashing water of a slow backstoke, then you may want to upgrade your system. Two big thumbs up! :T :T

Cracking!

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"