X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Song of the Sea

Great story, lovely music, BEAUTIFULLY animated. It was likely watching moving art and a nice change from the sterile, glossy Pixar-ization of everything we've grown accustomed to. I thought it had a very "Gaelic - Spirited Away" feel to it. Made me really want to go back to Scotland/Ireland too.

Caution if you have kids, I got misty eyed a couple times and my wife was full out sobbing :lol:

8.5/10 - Highly recommend :T

Jason
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Looks beautiful! I saw a few amazing films like this with my daughter when she was young. I believe they call it 'Japanimation' or something like that. One was "Kiki's Delivery Service" and the other was what I think was called "My friend Totoro" or something like that. Absolutely visually gorgeous and unlike many Disney films, very appropriate for young children.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Much thanks, Jason! Especially since we don't hear as much about kids films. I'll at least rent this one for the family.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by madmac
        Looks beautiful! I saw a few amazing films like this with my daughter when she was young. I believe they call it 'Japanimation' or something like that. One was "Kiki's Delivery Service" and the other was what I think was called "My friend Totoro" or something like that. Absolutely visually gorgeous and unlike many Disney films, very appropriate for young children.
        Well, as I said, this felt a lot like Spirited Away which is a "Japanimation"/Disney collaboration (and a very good movie in it's own right). But while "Song" is certainly inspired by the style of Japanimation, it is actually an Irish film and has nothing to do with Japanimation other than the obvious and aforementioned stylistic feel/inspiration.

As for young children, we'll be holding off shoing this one to our youngsters for a few years as their is some scarier, more mature content than I'd be willing to let our toddlers watch. Their parents enjoyed the heck out of it in our pre-screening though :lol:

For anyone interested, I also highly recommend Spirited Away if you haven't seen it.

Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

I can see how this could easily have a gaelic theme to it as the same stupid put out The Book Of Kells (Another amazingly well done anime style film with fantastic artwork). Anyways it was about gaelic history more or less I believe. Song of the Sea is on my must watch list though. I just have to remember to order it as for some reason local stores only ever have the DVD.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Well after watching (and enjoying) Song of the Sea, I sought out and finally watched it's predecessor The Secret of Kells.

I found Kell's story a touch less engaging/more simple than Songs' but the animation and music is it's equal. Both are simply gorgeous films to watch.

7.5/10

Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Yeah I told you how much I enjoyed this one, I've still not been able to find Song of the Sea on BD anywhere lol. Even on Amazon it seems hit or miss.

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Thanks, Jason, added to Netflix queue!
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Hdale85
                  Yeah I told you how much I enjoyed this one, I've still not been able to find Song of the Sea on BD anywhere lol. Even on Amazon it seems hit or miss.
                  Seems to be on there right now (and Walmart FWIW). You could also try streaming.
                  Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Well I know I'm going to like it so I really want to buy it lol. Yeah honestly I just keep forgetting about it when I'm buying movies. I know Walmart never has it in store though.

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

FYI Dougie, both are on sale at Amazon today:

Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Yeah I finally ordered it, should be here soon. Maybe tomorrow.

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Well we finally watched it tonight. I found the movie to be incredible. I absolutely loved the story, and just like Kells I loved the animation, the music, and pretty much everything about this. I'd probably rate it a tad higher than you at 9/10. My daughter even got teary eyed at the end (she's 7 at this point) so I was surprised she followed the story well enough to understand what was going on. Beautiful movie and I agree it's even better than Kells was.

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

We Netflixed Secret of the Kells with my 6 year old yesterday. She really liked it. I was working on something, and wasn't intently watching the plot, but you guys are right that the animation was very pretty.
                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2003

Glad she enjoyed it Chris :T You/her watched 'Song' yet too?

You too Dougie :T Yeah, I tend to be pretty miserly with 9's and 10's :lol:

An 8.5 from me is a really, REALLY good movie.
                              Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

we might try Song later today. It was also either Netflix or Amazon streaming.
                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"