Discussion of Birdman (Full of Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Discussion of Birdman (Full of Spoilers)

Be aware the intent of this thread is dedicated for a detailed discussion of the film, Birdman, & as such, will be full of spoilers.
    Last edited by wkhanna; 01 May 2015, 17:31 Friday.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • wkhanna
    • Jan 2006

I was hoping to get some feedback from those who have watched the film concerning their ideas & interpretations of this movie’s ending.

The movie’s director has been quoted as saying that the ending was re-written after production on the film had begun & there are as many correct interpretations to the ending scenes as there are seats in the theater.

Some of the more popular interpretations are:

1. The ending should be taken at face value; Keaton simply jumped to his death from the hospital room.

2. The entire final scene following the gunshot to the head was simply a ‘dream’ sequence from Keaton just before he dies, as he imagines an ‘alternate realty’ where he finds love & is loved as a result from his ‘attempted’ suicide.

3. Keaton actually is a supernatural being, signified by the blazing meteor (shooting star metaphor/irony?) at both the V beginning & end of the film; & justified throughout the film such as in the opening scene were he is levitating, his abilities to move physical objects with his mind, & of course his ability to fly as witnessed by his daughter at the film’s conclusion (though at one point contradicted by the cabbie’s insistence on obtaining his fare as he follows Keaton into the theater).

These are just a few simple, short explanations, all of which are full of contradictory evidence pulled from throughout the movie itself.

I am just V curious how those of you who have seen the film interpreted it.
    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

I was tempted to wrap most your post in spoiler tags, but... screw it. You did warn everybody up front about big spoilers.

My take is, this "controversial ending" was pretty contrived, an attempt at being edgy, and deliberately confusing like it was artistic or something. I think the most likely explanation in context of the actual story, is that he actually shot himself in the head, and anything that follows is his dying thoughts or fantasy.

I didn't like the film very much, but I do apologize as I don't mean to piss on those who did.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

Keaton was clearly delusional and mentally disturbed in this film. His delusional self talks to him throughout the film and he can neither fly or move items with his mind. We are just seeing and hearing what HE sees and hears. None of it is happening in reality.

I believed the ending was him jumping to his death but when his daughter smiles when she realizes he went out the window, I am lost at that point. However, since it is my opinion that none of the supernatural things in this film really happened, I am still forced to conclude that he jumped to his death.......daughters smile notwithstanding.
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• wkhanna
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Chris D

I didn't like the film very much, but I do apologize as I don't mean to piss on those who did.
          Thanks for your thoughts, Chris!
          No need to apologize, either.
          I am interested in everyone's opinion, regardless of whether they liked the film or not.
          I value everyone's opinions, and as the films director said, each & every one is valid.
          This thread is meant to be a discussion from as many angles as possible in an effort elucidate just how we all see things from a viewpoint of personal experiance and values.
          All of them unique.
          All of them valid.
          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

I always wrestle with endings like this, as on one hand I appreciate the directors right to leave it open for interpretation and not tie everything up with a pretty bow like a 1950's sitcom. On the other hand I find it infuriatingly lazy and noncommittal :lol:

I definitely feel the levitating, flying and telekinesis are imagined but that leaves the big question of Miss Stone's smile at the end (though I did appreciate getting one last look at those eyes).

THAT would lead me to believe the hospital is nothing more than a dream sequence/imagined last moments before his actual death on stage. If that's the case though I'd almost have preferred the screen going black and slowly shift to credits in that case. It still would have left it "open" (Did he die? Did the movie just end?) but wouldn't have added the additional layer of "what if" after that we see.

That scene also happens after the only traditional "cut" in the movie...leading me to believe it was a both literal and filmatic break from reality.

There's also the possibility that he actually died while jumping off the roof earlier and he imagined the rest as he fell down.
            Jason

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"