X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Foreign Correspondent--Classic Hitchcock and classic propaganda

Pulled this off the shelf last night. I have a sizeable Hitchcock collection (my favourite director) and this was among the few I'd not seen yet. A great example of 30s style filmmaking (a 1940 release, but it fits the 30s quite well).

You can see a number of Hitchcock flairs and touches that would recur later on (a number of elements of North by Northwest--my favourite of Hitchcock's films and in my top 5 of all films--are present in Foreign Correspondent in a less polished, but no less interesting, form). Joel McRea is fantastic as the "fish out of water" that was a signature Hitchcockian character.

As for my propaganda remark, the film was released just as the Battle of Britain was raging (the end is set during a bombardment of London) and the film clearly has a particular bent regarding the war (this was Hitchcock's second American film, though set largely in London, and it was made after the Second World War had started but before the US entered the war). No less an expert on propaganda than Joseph Goebbels admired the film's powerful message and acknowledged it would make a persuasive case against the Nazi cause of which he was the leading "message-maker".

A great example of classic cinema, classic Hitchcock and political filmmaking/propaganda that was not done at the best of official government requests (there would be plenty of those soon enough in that period).

Strongly recommend it for anyone who's a fan of classic cinema. :T
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

It's been some time since I saw this. Time it was in my collection.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Could be tricky to find. Amazon in the US has it for nearly 64$ (Yikes) and the boxed set I have (10 films in all by Hitchcock) is no longer in print (it is available in some places, but not cheap either). The set goes new from 200-400$ in the quick search I've made. Glad I got it back when it came out in 2004 (for about 60$ for the set). Canadian Amazon prices are even higher. The VHS appears available in the US for 20$ or so. Searching out a used copy is the way to go, I think--though most of the ones I've seen advertised are for 20$ or more.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Yeah, I figured that.
        My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"